Personal View site logo
BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
  • 497 Replies sorted by
  • Smart people

Get Chinese M.2 to USB case + cheap SSD, even not change cable to proper one, add simple hot shoe holder and resell.

512Gb SSD in Japan will be $263.
    Retail cheap Chinese M.2 512GB SSD is $78, case+cable around $15, custom holder - ala $3, plus assembly. Let's make it $100 (if you get wholesale it'll be around $85-90).
    So, $163 is the small margin Japanese guys live on. Even if we get really top brand SSD and 3.1 Gen 2 NVME case it'll be more than $100 margin compared to simple separate buy.

• It would be cool if Blackmagic had made more than 7 of these cameras...

• another review:

• @Mckinise

OK, I'll need to look for options.

• Thank you. Yes, I started early that morning and uploaded that Evening. I think it was finished at finished at 6 and online by 8. We have another one that we're doing for the winter holidays. So that's why I'm looking for some type of Wireless set up or at the very least an external monitor.

• Not bad for having only a few hours to shoot and edit!

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Most likely a cheap consumer HDMI transmitter/receiver. I was recently a part of a Halloween themed one person cast/crew competition. We had to write, produce, act, and edit a short film. I had just gotten the BMPCC4k so I decided to give it a go.

That was what prompted me to make the Image App video. I didn't have an external monitor and I had only a few hours to shoot and edit my entry. I had the camera and a tripod. I used a tape measure and a dust pan to get my shots in reasonable focus.

Debated whether I should put this up.

• Pity that BlackMagic don't yet support NVMe... :-(

Will checkout the links if BM roll out support... (Apart from PC use, need to get an M.2 compatible MB first)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

MX500 1TB Review: https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/crucial-mx500-1tb-m-2-ssd-review,1.html

It is really interesting why USB 3.10 NVME enclosures work not so good with BMCC 4K.

I think that Atomos had the same issue, (I don't know if its fixed now?)

• I just got two USBC SSD SATAIII drive enclosures, and will purchase a few MX500 M.2 drives, they are so small and inexpensive here I could buy 3 for the price of just one UHSIII SD card! *

It is really interesting why USB 3.10 NVME enclosures work not so good with BMCC 4K.

But by idea eVtran must be pretty enough and it is still around 1/3 size of such enclosure and made by guys who know their stuff.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I just got two USBC SSD SATAIII drive enclosures, and will purchase a few MX500 M.2 drives, they are so small and inexpensive here I could buy 3 for the price of just one UHSIII SD card! *

On a positive- rather strange note, my order just got filled today (for the BMPCC4K) I was getting ready for a 2019 delivery! Strange days!

* I did purchase a UHSII SD card for the GH5 and it wasn't at all inexpensive... :-(

I would be very interested if the eVtran can do 40GBps.

There are users that have connected NVMe drives without any luck to the BMPCC4K, so maybe with a firmware update, (that has already been discussed - starting to remind me of the good-old GH5 days!)\

• Re. Tilta Cage:

What is that lens? Are these all 3D PBR renderings? It would be nice to have a M43 style automatic lens with manual gears!

M.2_vs_SD.JPG
    2000 x 1500 - 507K
  • Anyone tried eVtran small flash drives for raw? They are known for very good sustained speeds (and small!)?

eVtran26s 128gb High Speed Flash Drive MLC - 320Gb/write, $43 (256GB is $71)

Price in title includes $5/35 coupon you can get in mobile app playing simple thing.

Includes very small USB-C OTG adapter.

It is higher than SSDs but much smaller and company care for performance.

This company is quite unique as they make their own super speed drives not on usual USB flash controllers. Each such drive is USB 3.0-SATA 3 fast bridge, after this good SATA SSD controller and multichannel MLC chips.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/eVtran26s-128gb-256gb-USB3-0-external-ssd-usb-portable-ssd-external-disk-pendrive-3-0-windowstogo/2842018_32889693858.html

• Is anyone using the Canon EF-S 17-55mm with the Metabones 0.71 Speedbooster combo and can comment on vignetting at the wide end and if IS works well? Thanks.

• @Mckinise

Do you ask about specific gear? Are you look of specialized thing or just consumer HDMI transmitter/receiver?

• Thinking about trying a wireless HDMI set-up. Does anyone have experience with that?

• sa5468.jpg
    658 x 624 - 67K
    sa5469.jpg
    676 x 641 - 60K
  • I spent a day testing Freetail V60 SD Cards, a couple UHS-I cards and a Class 4 SD card to see what modes would work with the media.

Freetail Evoke Pro C4k and UHD

Prores HQ UHD 24 fps

Prores 422 C4k 30fps

Prores Proxy C4k 60fps

HFR C4k and UHD

Prores 422 C4k 30/24fps

Prores Proxy C4k 60/24fps

Freetail Evoke Pro 1080

CDNG RAW Lossless 1080 30fps
    Prores HQ 1080 60fps
    Prores Proxy 1080 120fps

HFR 1080

Prores 422 1080 30/24fps
    Prores 422 1080 60/24fps
    Prores Proxy 1080 120/24fps

• All he need to do was run the test starting at a lower ISO, I mean, how ridiculous. It's even in the provided ISO chart that the details shift to the bottom from the highlights over the bump.

• Wow - this guy does not seem to know that the native ISO switches at 1250 and the jump in sensor signal gain explains the over exposure at ISO 1600. If he would have turned on zebras, it should have been obvious as the zebras show the peaking of the sensor output rather that the ISA calculated display output. At this point Prores has more dynamic range than RAW (under normal shooting conditions) as it is using the new BRAW demosaic filter. Once BRAW is available, we will have best of bit depth and dynamic range (it about a half a stop better as compared to RAW - every little bit helps).