Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
  • 497 Replies sorted by
  • For me camera design is a matter of how convenient the camera is to work with. Speaking from this perspective Panasonic and Sony cameras are the worthst for me. I worked a lot with GH2 (that’s how I found this forum), GX7, GH4, GH5 and tiny LX100. The menu is not convenient at all, the only camera system which is less streamlined and confusing is Sony. I also worked with all the models by Blackmagic and I really enjoy how everything is organized there - simple and straighforward, kinda like old good Konvas 35mm film camera. The only digital camera system which is as convenient as Blackmagic is Arri Alexa, even Red is much more cumbersome, confusing (and full of bugs).

So for me this new Pocket camera is just perfect, I don’t understand what everyone is complaining about. Size is between mirrorless and dslr, so gimbals will work just fine.

• BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K, Our Detailed Interview

• This is interesting but since it just isn't a pocket camera anymore : ) I think they should have redone The Micro Studio Camera 4K with this sensor also redesign there 4K recorder. Than design a grip to combine them so you could use the camera tethered to the recorder or mounted to the recorder with the grip. Disregarding that fantasy approach this camera if it works as specified is ok with me based on specs vs price alone.

• @Scot

Well let me ask you this- when they were making this shit up, why did they pick 10? Why not 9 or 11? I’ll tell you why- because 10 sound official. Ten sounds important! Ten is the basis for the decimal system, it’s a decade, it’s a psychologically satisfying number (the top ten, the ten most wanted, the ten best dressed). So having ten commandments was really a marketing decision!

(c) GC

Very short explanation of the name. It was really a marketing decision.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev What are you talking about? Is there a hidden "10" in the camera name?

• @joethepro

I am talking about principle :-)

• Great interview - got to say that Blackmagic has a winner if they fully deliver.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev "I am talking about principle :-)"

Seems completely unrelated to the topic. Also no attribution to the quote makes it senseless. Sometimes I think you post comments just because you can, not because you have anything relevant to say. ;-)

• I think you post comments just because you can, not because you have anything relevant to say. ;-)

Thanks for extremely valuable observation. Just use PM next time, as I can miss such gems.

• @Vitaliy No footage available in that link.

• @paglez

At the posting time it was present.

• Was this the footage that you found?

• I wish they offered a basic iFrame x264 or x265 option....

• I wish they offered a basic iFrame x264 or x265 option....

For x264 it requires much more advanced LSI (and most probably we again see quite weak FPGA inside).

Reason why you don't see x265 (not only in BM) is complete mess with licensing.

• Riggedimageimage

BMPC4Kbb.jpg
    1000 x 673 - 116K
    BMPC4K1.jpg
    1000 x 669 - 105K
  • DJI Ronin-S with BMPCC4K

gimblaBMPC4k.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 121K
  • Maybe it's just me but all rigged up it's looking a little sexy.

• @Scot it has curves.

• It is a beauty on the second view.

• Perhaps there will be an Android App encoding the raw stream via usb-c into a x265 file. :-)

• Do we know if it has Lanc port ? If not, how remote record other than Bluetooth ?

• That Fujion 18-55 would be such a sweet lens with it!

• Wonder what this means for pricing on upcoming global shutters from big manufacturers. Most will only pay so much more for good looks and some fancy features imho. Maybe this camera will help bring the GH Series prices back down to earth. Unless it is global shutters and 8k all around the G neighborhood.

• @flash there does not appear to be a LANC or remote port on it. It does support BMD's Bluetooth control system similar to the Ursa Mini Pro.

This is about the most useful and informative video I've seen on the BMPCC4K yet. No BMD employees, no talking even. Just slowly going through every single menu and screen with clear image, and spinning the camera around to all sides.