Personal View site logo
BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
  • 497 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev Absolutely- great recommendation, we use monopod all the time with our Canon still cams for video- we never detach them unless going onto another rig, heavy duty tripod or stabilizer.

Confirmed simple and works well with the Pocket 4K- simply attaching a monopod (or lightweight tripod in a pinch) and it stabilzed the camera shake right away...

• Some of these early criticisms sound a lot like the ones said about the original BMPCC. Hopefully the P4k will transcend its shortcomings, just like its ancestor, and be viewed mostly as a small camera with big image quality. But I must admit the criticisms got me thinking about cancelling my pre-order. Time to flip a coin.

• Let's hope Blackmagic Design issues a firmware update soon to accept NVME external drives via USB, just posted first known test result...

• Complete Guide to Menus

• This weekend I was able to get out and actually try shooting with the thing a bit rather than just testing it in the house. I busted out the Nikon 500mm mirror lens for shooting the mun:

And also managed to catch a barge traveling down the Illinois river at the waterfront. Unfortunately I didn't have a tripod with me so the footage ended up a bit shaky. I think it still looks pretty nice as slow mo from 4K60. I am happy with the image as an upgrade over my G85 at least. I do not know if this is vastly different from what you would get on a GH5/GH5s in V-Log, but the colors it brings out of everything remind me of my BMPCC.

• Any news on when these will be in the shops? Seems to be all coming soon in the UK.

• Black Magic don't tend to give estimates, but if previous releases are any indication, it'll probably be sometime next month.

• Alessio Avezzano

Camera settings:

Lossless RAW 4K DCI 25fps Samsung T5 SSD through USB-C Tripod Metabones EF to MFT Speedbooster Ultra with Sigma 18-35 and Canon 50mm F1.2 Lumix 100-300mm

Graded in Davinci Resolve 15.

• Another of our interviews

• Tilta Cage

• I would like to get this camera except... I just haven't seen that "wow moment" in the footage coming from it. The original BM Camera had the Big Sur clips, the original pocket had some interesting stuff - P Bloom etc. Some of the Ursa stuff was great. No offense to anyone's work posted here, but I've yet to see something that blows me away.

• @rockroadpix

No offense to anyone's work posted here, but I've yet to see something that blows me away

Can just get used NX500 or such, and spend all the rest to go and shoot something that blows others away.

Good idea.

• @VK if someone has many m43 lenses then the BM is a good option for high quality recording. Also it’s not as expensive as the GH5 or GH5s.

And let’s not even discuss Sony options. (Considering price).

I think having a camera that can shoot 4K cinemaDNG for this price is fantastic. It’s the price of an Atomos 4K recorder and one gets a camera for free.

Having worked with H264 (in log, and 400mbps) footage from GH5 I can say safely that in some special circumstances one does need more data.

If one doesn’t need the bitrate and know how to deal with the limitations of the BMPCC4K then don’t purchase it.

The main problem with most online reviews- is that one needs to qualify what makes a camera good or best.

A phrase like: “best 4K high quality, cinemaDNG output, usb3 Media recording, dual iso, self contained video camera under $10,000” would at least let people understand how the value of the product is being framed.

“Best video camera” makes no logic, as there are so many variables that people look at when purchasing a camera- including price.

So yes, given “best video camera” being so non-descript anyone could choose any camera.

• @alcomposer The Z-Cam E2 is also a good option for high-quality recording if you have a bunch of good m43 lenses. It's not as cheap as the black magic, but I've been pleasantly surprised by how much I like it and its image, given how much I disliked the E1.

The E2 doesn't support CinemaDNG, but as soon as they are allowed to release the firmware for it, it can record ProRes 422 and ProRes HQ as well as the existing high-bitrate h.265 output. That's good enough for the vast majority of people out there. It also supports recording to a USB-C drive, but that still feels suboptimal to me vs just buying a few C.Fast cards.

• Nice to know about the z-cam! I’m not sure what WDR is, may be a dual exposure mode? But it is really good that it allows sync to multiple units, I wonder if that is genlock?

Otherwise it is more expensive, but a good unit regardless. Being a m43 shooter exclusively I’m paranoid about low light, so hopefully the bmpcc4k is better than the gh5. (And on par with the gh5s)

• The BMPCC 4K, GH5s, and E2 all use pretty much the same sensor, but with different dual native ISO setups. The E2 is definitely not a low light champion (dual native at 160 and 800 IIRC). They also seem to do less noise reduction in-camera than some other vendors. That can be a good thing (people look less like plastic), but can also be a bad thing (hope you like denoising in post unless you're intentionally going for a grainy look).

The Z-Cam folks have mentioned NDI in the past so I think that might be how they are syncing multiple cameras (or planning to sync them, support for that is still not ready IIRC).

The Z-Cam folks explained the WDR mode at some point. From what I remember, it isn't exactly dual exposures, but can still show some artifacting with fast movement. From the testing I've done, it works great and none of the stuff that I've shot with it that had motion in it looked weird.

• Wow - this guy does not seem to know that the native ISO switches at 1250 and the jump in sensor signal gain explains the over exposure at ISO 1600. If he would have turned on zebras, it should have been obvious as the zebras show the peaking of the sensor output rather that the ISA calculated display output. At this point Prores has more dynamic range than RAW (under normal shooting conditions) as it is using the new BRAW demosaic filter. Once BRAW is available, we will have best of bit depth and dynamic range (it about a half a stop better as compared to RAW - every little bit helps).

• All he need to do was run the test starting at a lower ISO, I mean, how ridiculous. It's even in the provided ISO chart that the details shift to the bottom from the highlights over the bump.