Personal View site logo
Gh2 update with Hack
  • Hello everyone I would like to ask a question, I have a gh2 with flow motion V2 installed and a lens lumix 14/140. My gh2 with the 14/140 I bought it in 2012 and since then I have never done an update neither for the gh2 nor for my goal, so I think now I should make the updates, even if late seen the exit now of the GH5. but I'm still fond of my old gh2 for now. I would like to know how it is done and above all I can do the updates in the normal way as described on the web or being my gh2 with hack I have to use another method? thank you

• 30 Replies sorted by
  • @stefanweisss How did you get on with the firmware upgrade? I'm looking to start streaming with the GH2 and record at the same time. I was hoping to match as closely as possible with my GH5 Cine-V profile

• Hi - I have my GH2 and wanted to hack it - using Driftwood Moon T7. As i am working on Mac os X 10.15.4 Catalina, WINE seems not to work. Any Idea how I can run ptool3 on my Mac to create the Firmware Hack?

Thank you -

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Will it be possible to update PTool for functionality with GH2 FW v1.2?

I'd love to use my cheap laptop batteries with some hacks; 1.1 doesn't allow for this.

Cheers.

• panasonic GH80? is ok??

You must be from the future, from the year 2200??

• @ Jessy I have both the GH2, G7 and G80. The G80 is the best of the 3 for video use, but doesn't have quite the same "image quality" as the GH2 which had a great set of colour profiles built in. I might upgrade to a GH5 next year as I would like to shoot 6K open gate video to crop & zoom to 4K in post and would also like access to the "IS Lock" feature (which ironically the G80 had at the start before Panasonic removed it in an upgrade) but don't know if I would use many of the other video features (like Log profiles) to justify the cost of the upgrade.

• The GH4 is also a good value upgrade. I'm very happy with mine. I won't be upgrading again for a while.

• panasonic GH80? is ok??

• @Jessy if you can't figure out if the GH5 is worth it, but you want to "upgrade" from the GH2, then instead I highly recommend a middle ground choice which is a bigger bang for your buck: Panasonic G85/G80

• thank you

• Depends on what you need it for. Hard for anyone to know what your concerns are. If it makes good images and suits your needs, keep it.

• do you think I should send the gh2 into retirement and replace it with the gh5?

• What a damn awesome camera the GH2 is, I'm very impressed it is still being used in 2102!

• you're right, I'm sorry, I meant 2012. so do you think i should update?

• @ Jessy 2102? What's it like in the future? I need the winning number for the next lotto draw, wink wink, let's 60-40 :), haha, can't resist.

• My problem is this, I have a gh2 with flow motion v2, I bought it in 2102 and I've never done an update, can I continue like this or should I upgrade? thank you

• WHY is it impossible to find or download ANY GH2 hacked firmware ?

• The black magic pocket cinema camera is already pretty cheap, has a micro 4/3 mount, and can record raw without a hack (and it can record prores for the vast majority of the time when you don't really need raw).

• Unfortunately i have no clue how could i do it. But i'm enjoying my eos m... and still wishing some cheap camera will be able to record raw video. One can dream... it's free.

• There's nothing stopping you from starting the lengthy painful process. :)

• If only someone could hack the gh2 the way magic lantern hacked the eos m (now its shooting 2.5k raw video). That would be amazing...

• problem solved, thank you very much to those 3 who had put my hand down, now they have removed, Thanks again

• you're right friend, I accept the little hands down if I deserve it without arguing, but at least write why? where did I go wrong? What do not like the one who put a little hand down? only this I want to know without getting angry, I know I'm not James Cameron ha ha ha ha ha but a lot less, but the lost series. always a reason to the negative comments, thanks for your intervention I myself in some videos of other youtube users had put a few hands down but always motivating writing a comment on what I did not like. Hello

• Now, I'm tempted to vote negative myself too... Just kidding. Its a test, don't wait further evaluations unless they appear young models in your video.