Personal View site logo
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • Some Late in the day GH5 footage of the Roses growing in my front yard.

• Yep

Yamane was very open about the reasoning behind selling the V-Log feature as a paid upgrade: ‘If we incorporated it into the camera, we would have to charge a higher price for the GH5. As of now we believe it’s appropriate to offer V-Log as an option.

And I like how he lies.

We pressed Yamane on whether he thought the GH5 was selling beyond existing GH4 owners. ‘We don’t have any specific numbers,’ he says: ‘but my gut feeling is that many GH4 users are upgrading to the GH5, this is a decent portion of our first buyers. But, beside GH4 users, maybe it’ll be Canon EOS 5D III and IV users, or Alpha 7S Mark II users. Especially, my feeling was that EOS 5D Mark III users are very much interested in GH5.’

Some issues with GH5 sales.

‘Really at the core of the camera is its performance, which comes from the LSI’s development: the new processing engine. I truly believe this is the most special engine in the entire industry. This is not only for DSC but also for consumer and professional camcorders.’

LSI now being official;y made universal for all lineups

‘4:2:2 10-bit codec is 64x as much data as before. 4:2:0 8-bit at 60p.

Has some math problems.

‘The current business in the United States is 30% mirrorless and 70% compact camera,’ he says: ‘though nearer to 50:50 if you count interchangeable lenses as well.’

And this is mostly due to bad management, UK management is similar, btw.

‘For the future, to double the business, we’re going to focus on high end product: mirrorless cameras and high-end compacts.

What happens if everything is focus on high end? Right - failure.

As far as for the customer category, we don’t know if we will be able to record all of the output from 8K video. So the question is how we utilize 8K information and create a new photographic culture’

And now math hits hard on his head. If you can record 400Mbit you can certainly record 8K :-)

• Yosuke Yamane, the Director of Panasonic’s imaging business visited DPReview on a recent trip to the United States. He spoke to them about the GH5, the promise of 8K, reports of downsizing and why we haven’t seen on-sensor phase detection in one of the company’s cameras.

https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/9493665945/panasonic-s-head-of-cameras-talks-gh5-restructuring-and-future-ambitions

• We shot our first Project with the GH5. Cinelike D most of it in 8Bit 4K 60p. There are a few GH4/A7S and Mavic Shots mixed in, but 90% is from the GH5.

Really pleased with the results so far :) Proper Auto Focus would be great for Gimbal Work though.

• @alcomposer

I was wondering, there should be a VLogL to false colour LUT somewhere. That may be cool for working out exposure.

Hah, I was thinking about that, but it is not possible. You could make a false color looking lut, by creating several luma keys and coloring selections to different hues, though the colors would more look like oversaturated areas of some hues and not strong flat overlay color like in real FC. Or maybe values of gray in black and white image could be mapped to different colors, create lut, and applied to some black and white picture profile in camera? I think that it would not be good for anything, but someone might try to see what would happen :)

• http://www.photoreview.com.au/reviews/advanced-compact-cameras/interchangeable-lens/panasonic-lumix-dc-gh5

I wonder if these are paid reviews. never one bad word of anything. They never find small issues like slow sensor reading e-shutter, exposure info blocking or no AFS in 6k photo. I wonder if they tested 6k photo AFC with a tele lens and moving target.

• :( GH5 needs a sharpness setting for EVF and screen.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev, I was wondering, there should be a VLogL to false colour LUT somewhere. That may be cool for working out exposure.

• @Vesku

You won't make any local contrast changes with it, but can do anything with overall brightness and contrast.

• f(r,g,b)=(r',g',b')

What are the precise values to get more local contrast?

• @Vesku

I am asking about it. Can someone tell how LUT works? Is it only color adjustment or can it do more? Maybe contrast adjustment can make image look sharper.

LUT is just mathematical function stored as matrixes.

to make it very simple it is

f(r,g,b)=(r',g',b')

• @caveport

How does a LUT do sharpening?

I am asking about it. Can someone tell how LUT works? Is it only color adjustment or can it do more? Maybe contrast adjustment can make image look sharper.

• @Vesku How does a LUT do sharpening?

• Is it possible to use some LUT to just sharpen the EVF and monitor image?

• Thanks hammer. So again one half working feature. It would be nice to have iso limit in video auto exposure. Maybe in GH7.

6k photo half shutter AF: Manual says that continuous AF is always ON. It sure focuses in video start with half shutter but does it continue with constant focusing/hunting?

Try assign photo style to some FN and tell how it works. Does it just allow you to choose photo style (like GH4) or does it allow you to adjust it also?

• @Vesku, yes it does limit ISO in video M mode. No to shutter min. or ISO limit in A mode.

When recording in 6K photo it does allow you to use a half press shutter to focus and during recording !!!

Not sure about fn for image adjustments.

Cheers, Pete

• Does the GH5 minimum shutter speed and auto iso range/limiter settings work when shooting video?

Does the AFS with half shutter work in 6k photo? manual says no, odd.

Can I adjust contrast, saturation, sharpness and Nr (image adjustmets) with FN-button without searching/digging photo menu?