Personal View site logo
Canon Cinema EOS C300 topic
  • 267 Replies sorted by
  • stay tuned!!!!
  • Theyve obviously gone all out for colour rendition
  • And as usual, people outside presentation room got all details first :-)
  • Its priced to attack the F3, but the F3 has Dual SDI out for 444 uncompressed external recording..
    this does not..
    Also no slow mo for 1080 is disappointing at this pricepoint
  • @Aria : Sure, but let's see the spec/price ratio of the scarlet ! I could be completely wrong on that one but I think it's not gonna be more expensive than 15k.
    And we already making movies with GH2, right ? ;)
  • RED are so going to crush this thing.

Pity we'll be waiting till we've grey beards to get a Scarlet.
  • I think Canon want to set the record. Make longest presentation and announce specs only after all people will fall to sleep :-)
  • yeah, but what does a GH2 cost. even with peripherals and lenses? Not $16k.
  • In the end can u make a movie with it? Heck yeah! It doesn't matter to me the tech specs. Just give me an image that let's the story be told. $16k sounds fair given what an F3 with S Log or RED Epic costs.
  • I'm no Red fanboy, but me think they'll gonna eat Canon for breakfast.
  • Scorsese? REALLY?! (geez, they're sure drawing this out before spilling beans on the specs.)
  • so what's left for 60p? a77?
  • Does 'look' great though :-)
  • So much hoopla and NO 1080/60p?
  • wow. it looks great. i like the way they hang the monitor. that lens looks special.
  • It is always good sign.
    If you see big marketing fluff and lost of films some tech things can be not so good :-)
  • gh2 also has a sensor which can make large photos, but not movies. processor is not designed for such task.
  • Yes, 1080p30 max, 720p has variable frame rates.

I think real limitation is cheap camcorder LSI inside.
  • someone just has to hack it:)
  • hang, on . . . it has a 4K sensor, but records 1080p?
  • Codecs:

It is a 50Mbps 4:2:2 MPEG2 codec utilizing the widely supported .MXF wrapper, writing 1080p30 and 720p60 video to Compact Flash at a choice of either 50Mbps or 35Mbps. 1440×1080 HDV is also an option at 25Mbps for even longer recording times per CF card.
    The C300′s menu system interface is practically identical in fuction and appearance to the one used in all of the other Canon XF series camcorders, and the Custom Preset menu is a close twin as well

• yup. sounds like if it has shortcomings anywhere, its in low lit scenes.
  • 16k sounds great! still waiting for the DR!
  • I mean.... this is an ARRI class camera... it tells a lot about the direction for whole industry. How can they ask 2500 for a full frame DSLR since now?
  • Focus and exposure are completely manual; there is no AF or AE mode on the C300 or C300 PL. Nor are there any semi-automatic program modes such Aperture Priority (Av) or Shutter Priority (Tv), commonly found on all Canon camcorders and photo cameras.

The person or company owning a stable of Canon EF lenses will have to make a decision based on the type of work that they’re doing: will they need autofocus or not? If not, the C300 camera will suffice. But anyone wanting to use autofocus on a Canon EF or EF-S lens — which is a primary feature of the EF line — will be better served by choosing a RED Digital Cinema DSMC camera equipped with RED’s own DSMC Titanium Canon EOS mount, which fully supports autofocus and other EF lens features.

Never do things half way :-)