Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Canon Cinema EOS C300 topic
  • 267 Replies sorted by
  • Got talked into DPing a short today with "The Dark Knight's" David Dastmalchian for the "Dances With Films Festival Competition" had to shoot, edit, grade, mix and deliver a 3 minute short in a hotel conference room, in 4 hours. We actually pulled it off, and it ain't half bad. Canon sponsored the event, and supplied us with 2 C300s, a battery of EF Lenses, and a rep on hand for tech support.

My experience shooting with one:

A quick learning curve, granted I had a Canon rep there to help out finding things, and when at one point, I questioned my exposure out loud, she said,

"...just use the waveform monitor."

I think I just stood there and blinked a few times, dumbly, at her....."This thing has a waveform monitor built in?"

"Yeah, just push the little 'wfm' button on the side."

I almost became a canon fan...but as good as this cam is, it's not worth the asking price.... It really does produce some nice looking footage, that grades really well. But for $16,000 it oughtta. It also OUGHT to play audio during playback, which it doesn't. The controls take some getting used to, but for the most part it's a very smart design - nice and light, not too happy with the choice of lenses. It really needs a PL mount option that is not a factory hard mount, but interchangeable. The Waveform monitor is really awesome!! Almost as awesome as False Color, easy to read, and easy to toggle on and off. Same with peaking and zebras, nice on/off toggles on the side of the cam.

Doesn't handle highlights as well as the advertised 12 stops would lead one to believe, BUT it is better in that dept than the 5D, 7D... and, I have to admit, the GH2.

• Comparison test between Canon C300 and Sony F3

• It's still a great review even nine months later! Funny and to the point!

• Gates release images of the EOS C300/C500 underwater housings.

Specifically designed for the Canon EOS C300 and C500 cameras, the Gates C300/C500 housing is the latest in underwater imaging for TV and big screen productions. The C300/C500 shares many features with its cinema cousins including full camera and lens control, support for a wide variety of Canon and PL mount lenses and Gates Precision ports for no-compromises image quality. Gates ‘bulletproof’ durability is naturally inherent in the C300/C500 for ‘got the shot’ confidence.

More info:

http://www.gateshousings.com/housings/canon-c300-c500-digital-cinema-housing/

Gatesc3001.jpg
    449 x 500 - 58K
    Gatesc3002.jpg
    500 x 439 - 57K
    Gatesc3003.jpg
    500 x 347 - 52K
  • Firmware Version 1.0.8.1.00 incorporates the following fixes and improvements:

• Some of the EF lens products that can be mounted on the camera can be controlled more reliably.
    • Corrections to the Spanish and German language texts in the View Assistance function (View Assist).
    • Efforts to correct image color fringing when a subject is of high contrast have been made.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/cinema_eos_cameras/eos_c300#DriversAndSoftware

• $2000 discount is active since today

• Made using C300

• Uhh, Mike you need to check some of those vidoes dude. Not good man.

• @vicharris

i think it is just videos about C300 or made using C300. Good or bad, it is not so important.

• Canon EOS C300 Firmware Updates

• Peripheral lens correction feature - This maintains even illumination from corner to corner of the image and virtually eliminates vignetting across the image. There are 14 Canon EF-Series photographic lenses that benefit from this feature including the EF300mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF400mm f/2.8L IS II USM, the EF500mm and EF600mm f/4L IS II USM. The seven Canon CN-E Series Cinema Lensesi that benefit from this feature include the CN-E15.5-47mm and CN-E30-105mm T2.8L S compact Cinema zooms, the CN-E14mm T3.1L F, the CN-E24mm T1.5L F, the CN-E 50mm T1.3L F, the CN-E85mm T1.3L F, and the CN-E135mm T2.2L F Cinema prime lenses.
    • ISO increased up to 80,000 - This provides the EOS C500, EOS C300 and EOS C100 cameras with greater light sensitivity than ever before. Great for documentaries and other forms of reality production, this ISO increase can help capture shots that may have been previously impossible to capture.
    • Ability to shift the magnification location in the viewfinder - Allows users to manually move the magnification view area to one of 25 different locations using the joystick on the camera. With this feature, the camera operator can easily check focus even on subjects that are not located directly in the center of the frame.
    • Record button lock - The lock setting on the Key Lock now makes it possible to lock all operations, including the RECORD button, to prevent accidental operation during takes.
    • Multi-person log-in for the Canon Wi-Fi® remote application - This allows two users to log-in to a single camera, allowing for camera operation/control with one log-in and metadata to be inputted by the second log-in simultaneously. This is essential when time is critical and production tasks need to be completed immediately.
    • Ability to assign ISO and iris adjustments to the control dial (or, on the EOS C300 camera, the dial on the removable side grip handle) - This gives operators the option to allocate whichever setting they prefer to either dial, allowing for specific changes at a moment's notice.
    • GPS Support - Provides accurate metadata on the location and time of each clip, including longitude, latitude, and altitude for the EOS C300 camera when used with Canon's optional GP-E1 or GPS Receiver and for the XF305 and XF300 camcorders when used with Canon's optional GP-E2 GPS Receiver. This is an especially handy feature for documentaries, ENG (Electronic News Gathering) and reality programming.
    • Wide DR gamma - With a high dynamic range that maintains highlight detail and preserves perfect gradations of color, this feature is designed to help achieve perfect color without adjustment. Optimized for display monitors, wide DR gamma is well-suited for productions that do not allow for lengthy postproduction processing and color grading, such as budget-conscious indie films, web series, or documentaries.
    • 1440 x 1080 35Mbps for broadcast requirements - This highly utilized recording mode (at 60i or 50i) is designed to enable the EOS C300 camera to seamlessly align with the standard workflows used by many major broadcast news networks.
    • Push auto iris/one-shot AF - These new additions make the EOS C300 camera increasingly attractive for solo, run-and-gun style cinéma vérité shooting. These features (which are already included in the EOS C100 camera), automatically adjust the exposure and/or focus to the most suitable setting at the push of a button. They also provide support for the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM standard zoom lens. The new peripheral lens correction feature further benefits the use of this lens by virtually eliminating vignetting and maintaining even illumination across the image.
    • Automatic Exposure (AE) Shift/ Selecting the Metering Mode/ Flicker Reduction - AE Shift can be used to compensate the automatic exposure set by the camera when using the push auto iris function. Users can engage AE Shift in the camera menu to make slight adjustments to the image brightness helping compensate for scenes that are slightly over or underexposed. The new AE Shift capability provides 15 steps, from -2 to +2. The new firmware also enables three light metering mode options to be selected: Standard, Backlight or Spotlight. By selecting a light-metering mode to match one of three recording conditions, users will help ensure the EOS C300 camera obtains a suitable exposure level when the push auto iris function is used. When recording under artificial light, the camera's monitor may flicker depending on the shutter speed. By setting Flicker Reduction to "Automatic" the EOS C300 camera will automatically detect and reduce flicker on the camera's monitor.
  • They were using 18 crews, each armed with a Canon C300. The C300 provided good image quality in an easy to operate bundle.

http://filmmakermagazine.com/76904-shooting-with-18-cameras-the-making-of-the-short-game/