Personal View site logo
Canon Cinema EOS C300 topic
  • 267 Replies sorted by
  • yea . . . not including glass?
  • •Single 8.3 megapixel 2160×3840 Super-35 CMOS sensor (4K resolution) with Digic DV III processor
    •Canon XF codec (50Mbps 4:2:2 1080p30 MPEG2 MXF) records to two Compact Flash card slots
    •Canon Log gamma, SDI, compact body, Custom Presets and menus similar to Canon XF series
    •Exposure and focus control are completely manual — there is no AE or AF on either camera
    •Sold as a system, incl. LCD monitor / XLR audio unit, side grip, top handle, batt. & charger
    •Availability: Jan. 2012; Price: appx. $16,000 USD (for C300)

The 8.3 megapixel Super-35 sensor in the C300 is a new CMOS design by Canon. It is not borrowed or re-engineered from the still photography side of the company; instead it has been created “from the ground up” and dedicated specifically to digital cinema applications. The sensor has a resolution of 2,160 pixels tall by 3,840 pixels wide, which qualifies as native 4K. Canon claims that rolling shutter skew is greatly reduced in this sensor relative to current HD-DSLR camera models. Also, each frame can be scanned by the Digic DV III processor more quickly compared to an HD-DSLR, such as the 21 megapixel CMOS sensor in the Canon EOS 5D Mk. II, which has 2.5 times as many pixels as the C300.

Canon says that their Digic DV III processor reads this new sensor differently; it does not use the line-skipping method found in high-res HD-DSLR sensors. Instead, every four pixels (two green, one red, and one blue) are sampled for each final output pixel. In other words, color is assembled the same way as a traditional three-chip sensor block… two megapixels of red, two megapixels of blue and four megapixels of green (twice as much green as red or blue, since green carries the luminance info). Each primary color sampling off of the sensor is native 1920×1080, each color value alone is equal to the final output resolution. Canon claims that the processed signal has 1,000 lines of TV resolution, and the moire, diagonal line stair-stepping and other artifacts are greatly reduced in this chip compared to HD-DSLR cameras.

Via: http://www.dvinfo.net/article/acquisition/canon-eos/canon-usa-announces-cinema-eos-c300-and-eos-c300-pl-cameras.html
  • ru guys there?
  • Noisy, I agree. I wonder if these pictures really represent actual footage.
  • looks quite noisy!
  • yup. the "no compression issues" probably means intra . . . but could mean some form of RAW if we're extremely lucky.
  • if it has shot a cinema movie... like "max is back" - its gotta be more than 1080p, right? Im waiting for the dynamic range to be announced.. its really exciting
  • 5d mkIII in a new box, quad digics? INTRA (i'll bet) and AVC 2
  • RED just might be peeing their pants right now.

arrgh, why are they not live streaming this event?! And why no specs yet?
  • me too. gosh i hope its affordable. or it will get smaller brother , like gh2 and af101
  • looks interesting...
  • watching both. new lenses, new c300 camera.
  • other live blog can be found here:
    http://blog.planet5d.com/liveblog/
  • A lot smaller than I imagined in the handheld configuration.
  • "Cinema EOS" + "best optical equipment" = new lenses?