Personal View site logo
Why Panasonic exposure so simple and limited?
  • 119 Replies sorted by
  • @thetrickster

Thanks. So no exposure values in screen when using auto exposure. I hope Panasonic makes it work with final FW. It works in 4k and 6k photo video mode. Makes no sense.

• Panasonic says the newest lenses can use almost stepless aperture in video. Can someone test with new 12-60mm or other newest lens? The coming 100-300mm II will also use "almost stepless aperture" and DUAL IS 2.

• @Vesku

I think that under stepless aperture they mean that change speed will be slow.

• Proof. No exposure info in automatic video modes in GH5.

EXPO-INFO.jpg
    794 x 494 - 74K
  • Time to buy a Sony.......

• Is there exposure values info with current GH5 FW?

• GH5 seems to have some clever tricks with auto iso. It can smooth exposure with variable aperture lenses.

I wonder if the auto iso can smooth also exposure changes when dialing shutter or aperture in manual mode.

• I'm using the FZ2000/2500 and the exposure info would actually be really useful in tandem with the built-in ND filters. I'm shooting shutter-priority in movie-mode with shutter set to 50 and auto ISO for documentary stuff. Seeing the aperture the camera is choosing would make it really easy to know what ND to dial in when shooting in bright conditions. I remember the DVX-100 used to flash up a warning icon when ND was needed, that would be useful too. Shouldn't be too hard to implement, the values are there in the Image-app view.

• Shouldn't be too hard to implement, the values are there in the Image-app view.

The funny thing is that Panasonic has removed this info from screens for some purpose. Can someone explain what that might be? Showing too much information to user maybe? Even in top model GH5?

• GH5 final FW. No exposure info in screen. Just blank shutter value and auto iso.

gh5-expo.jpg
    1000 x 667 - 43K
  • @Vesku Same as GH4.... cool!

• Does the GH5 show exposure information when shooting video with 6k photo? Does the new lenses really adjust aperture smoothly?

• Still having fun with this topic. I really like the clean display without confusing and constantly changing exposure iinformation.

• @caveport - Your last two comments on this thread don't seem very useful. Why not just skip the thread?

• Does the GH5 show exposure info in video modes (shutter, aperture and iso) with new FW update?

• If you would list the configuration and the steps you want me to take, I will be happy to do it and let you know what I see.

• @v10tdi

Just set the GH5 to shutter priority and auto iso in video mode and see if you can see aperture value or actual iso.

• With those settings...
    Aperture and actual ISO are not visible in any movie mode.
    Aperture and actual ISO are visible in photo mode, including 4K/6K photo

I did note that AutoISO target exposure can be adjusted with Exposure Compensation and that AEL seems to hold ISO when AutoISO is engaged. IIRC, I don't think the GH4 worked that way.

• Aperture and actual ISO are not visible in any movie mode. Aperture and actual ISO are visible in photo mode, including 4K/6K photo

I hope they fix it some day.