Personal View site logo
Official Sony NEX 5N topic
  • 139 Replies sorted by
  • I've recently used the 5n for a couple of gigs.. All in all, it has some cons which are well covered here (aliasing, moire, overheating).. That said, it's a very good compliment to the gh2. Better for shooting wide, no banding (very good DR) and more video settings to choose from - the gh2 on the other hand can give a more crisp image for highly detailed scenes and scenes where aliasing or moire could be a problem.
    For a showreel, I used a gh2 coupled with a 1.5x anamorphic adapter in 720p50 (which gave very limited wide options, but plenty in normal/tele/supertele end, aswell as surprising macro capabilities with the gh2 kit lens) , coupled with 1080p50 from the 5n, which will give the possibility to crop the 5n footage to the same aspect ratio as I can get from the gh2..

Obviously, one has to take care with certain types of shots to avoid aliasing and overheating was an issue during a long take - I had to switch the camera off for 5 or so mins after about half an hour (same as the limit anyway) and then I could shoot again without interruption for the additional 15min I needed.
    It would be a mistake to only have the 5n to shoot an event where the camera needs to keep rolling, but it works great for additional footage in such circumstances.

Another big plus IMO is smoother handheld shots than from the GH2. Its not really sensitive to vibrations e.t.c. which is one of the major drawbacks with the GH2 - so also in this sense they complement each other very well.

Those are my initial impressions, using only kit-zoom and wide pancake. (I didn't have time to get adapters!)

I'm sure I'll bump into some more issues in post.

Very good value for money. I'd pick it over the canons any day of the week.
  • By the way: to put the aliasing / moire issues into context: out of 3 days of shooting I could only find one or two shots with the 5n that looked unusable / usable only with heavy post op.
    This, using mostly the internal screen for reference. Though, none of the shots where done in a city environment and only a few objects with hard edges (that can cause aliasing problems).

Which reminds me: an hdmi-clamp is highly necessary if you plan to use an external monitor.
  • Another thing. If one really wants to use 5n for shooting events e.t.c. it's very possible to have 2 or 3 spare bodies considering the price point, to avoid the overheating issues.
  • Now i can confirm this, the Nex 5n can work with the Sony V55, just turn the monitor first and the Nex recognize with out flaws.
  • My Nex 5ns lcd screen died when I switched it on this morning...not impressed as camera is only a month old. Now having to send to sony repairs. But can use the evf okay.
    First time ANY camera has played up on me.
  • I'm testing this camera too.
    It work ok with not original batteries, i see also the info.
    I received 2 kits with 18-55 and 16mm lens but i use only one, if somebody is interested to buy a new NEX5-N in kit for 719€ can contact me.
  • video from rigs link

The only Bloom vid I like

Im to understand third party batteries dont work on 5n?
    I will probably do a video "review" of the 5n as ive been asked on vimeo by a couple of folks.
    If anyone wants to know something about the 5n throw me a question here.
  • I tried 3rd party batteries but no luck - the 5N won't accept them. But then I see other people saying they can. Strange.
  • Today I was thinking on how to reduce the overheating problem: How about using some small CPU cooling fans and sticking them on the back of the body (behind the flip out monitor) to dissipate heat quicker? Cooler Master have near-silent fans but then it's figuring how to power them.
    Or does anyone have any other ideas? And don''t tell me to move to the North Pole :D
    The 5N overheated way too many times on my last shoot and am getting sick of it. If I can't solve it I'm gonna sell it. I mean, the 5N is fine for shooting sweet 'n short videos like "Autumn" posted above, but I just cannot rely on it anymore for jobs.
  • Yeah the overheating is my only real problem with it.

Its a design flaw in keeping the camera so small...its also pretty random when giving the warning sign (maybe software problem?)...but keep in mind the 5n wasnt really designed for long pro video shoots.
    People keep forgetting this.

I have noticed if you keep the lcd tilted up/off a bit delays the overheating....also heats up quicker in 50p mode than 25p mode.

I wonder if the 7 will do the same? nobody has reported it yet.
  • @Mimirsan
    sigh, very true that it isn't designed for such long recordings. Yeah tilting up the LCD screen is the very least we can do. Which is annoying because then i can't use my LCD loupe.
    Yeah, very much like to hear if the NEX-7 would do the same. Personally, if I'm buying a NEX-7 just for video I'd rather fork out a bit more ($300-400) to get the VG20. Whadya think?
  • I totally forgot that the VG20 existed haha
    Im on the fence with both Nex 7 and VG20..need to see more about them.
  • I own two Sony Alpha a33. Got two so I can continuously shoot by switching between cameras when they get HOT! lol and they do, the overheating is killing me. But the best killer out there is the inability to control the exposure in video mode. Is there any chance for a firmware for these a33, a55 once the nex hack comes out? Better AVCHD data rates? Are they a lot different?
  • Those footages from 5N are impressive. How about margin of error?

Some people took good video with iPhones with great attentions. The thinner margin of error, the greater attentions. Basically more work.

What features does 5N have that give wider margin of error?

What we care the most is the quality of raw footages from camera. But the margin of error shouldn't be overlooked. If getting high quality raw footage is like landing a chopper on top of the empire state building, that can't be my tool ;).
  • Not quite sure what youre asking stonebat?...margin of error is down to the user not the tool? Anyone can shoot great video with any tool in the right hands.
    I could say no more than a GH2 except from the occasional alaising?
    Im not going to make comparisons between the GH2 and Nex 5n...you get different results from these cameras.
    But if you want some..heres what I noticed.

Codec is pretty robust (im comparing out of box here)
    Less rolling shutter in 50p mode.
    dynamic range is better
    lowlight seems better with less colour shift (higher iso has this great balance of being clean but also detailed with more accurate colour)
    skintones seem more natural (to me anyway)
    using sunset profile gets rid of posterisation
    using portrait is very good for grading.
    You can change ISO while shooting...which is handy while on the fly.
    I use focus peaking with reliable results.
    The oled lcd/evf gives a closer colour representation of what you shot/photograph..it does shift but not as much as GH1/2 etc
    Lovely Lovely jpegs.
    Photo lag is good (Its now rare for me to get a blurry photo around 1/50...I had to go above 1/125 on GH)

Two photos attached
    (shot with Voigt Ultron 28mm f1.9@f2.5 1/50)
    (my little girl was rocking and sulking so she was moving in the shot)
    (one of drink bottle is 1600 iso)
    DSC00022.JPG
    3986 x 2760 - 2M
    DSC02525.JPG
    4912 x 2760 - 5M
  • Changing ISO while shooting sounds nice. Picture quality is nice too.

Can you please write about how you control the camera for video?

e.g. Set GH2 at the creative mode. Pick a file mode. Change film mode settings. Adjust aperture and SS. Check histogram. It will show clipping based on the current reading of EV. Spot metering helps read a correct EV. ISO... preset 1 & 2 work OK. AWB doesn't nail down white but it looks OK. Press shutter. Half press to refocus (m43 lens). Focus can be locked or continuous. Change SS on the fly. Continue monitoring histogram. Over saturated highlight can be detected while filming. Audio live monitoring. HDMI ouputs 1080i60. Streaming is sharp enough for focus pulling. Built-in LCD can be displayed while outputting HDMI.

Those little tools and settings here and there help avoid pitfalls and increase the chance of getting a good raw footages. Only if you have time. Thanks @Mimirsan

• Thanks @Mimirsan for the review. Yep most people can't draw good pictures but we all can use a pencil.
  • @ed_lee83
    I can confirm that this battery works on the 5n

http://www.premier-ink.co.uk/batteries/camera-/-camcorder/for-sony/blumax-sony-npfw50-digital-camera-camcorder-battery-p-3497.html

Does anyone know whether its better to shoot in 25p or 50p and halve the frames when shooting normal speed (not slow motion)? The bit rate is higher for 50p but is the data rate actually lower per frame, or is that not how it works?
  • whuuuuu?? Hahah
    It would be easier for me to do a video demonstration...I use manual lenses only but when I had the kitlens you can lock focus by holding shutter or set it with one of the buttons (cant recall which).

First thing shitty touch screen is off!
    The outer dial has fourway buttons
    left is drive mode up is display change right is AE (P/A/S mode) bottom is for shutter/aperture.

basically I have custom button set for ISO,WB,Creative style (Aka film mode),metering mode...just a quick button press.

Peaking is set to red and high. Evf and lcd are sharp enough for mf pulling. Peaking needs contrast to be really functional so wont work very well in dark room.
    High iso NR is set to low
    Dynamic range filter is set to auto...sometimes off.
    Histogram can be activated by pressing disp button and is only prior to recording...histogram is not shown during recording.
    Live view is set to see changes in settings.
    I shoot everything in M mode...dont see the point in the other mode and a pain to change as you have to go into a submenu.
    Auto exposure lock is set to right custom button but only works in photos in PAS mode..so no AE for video sadly!
    Video is shot with dedicated video button (like GF1,GH1)
    Change aperture shutter speed & Iso prior or during recording..so all three are on the fly
    Bottom button is mf assist press once x9.5 press again x4.8

Not sure about lcd display with HDMI...I guess it probably does as my sony hx9 did.

@dixontoby
    Thanks for that! theyre quite local to me!
    Ive found the 50p mode to have slightly more detail and way less rolling shutter...but use 25p mostly under the impression the extra bitrate helps.
  • Thanks @mimirsan. Very useful hands-on knowledge.

We are like chefs. We can analyze foods like food critics, but we are also interested in cooking procedures. Everyone wants simple cooking food with great taste at budget. I watched a nice video from Canon S95. I bought one but found out it can't refocus during filming. WTF. There is always a catch.

It seems 5N has a whole lot more video features than GF3.

• Guys is this a comparison between GH2VK & NEX5N or GH2 Stock & NEX5N?
  • I just wanna learn more about new body :)
  • BTW where to get NEX lenses cheap?
  • Why Sony is winning in Asia?

Beautiful women love Sony...

She loves 5N...

5N forever...

http://m.slrclub.com/v/minolta_forum/550749?page=1&divpage=104&ss=on&keyword=5n&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc