Personal View site logo
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • @endotoxic this is not about being productive though, at least I didn't do this with that in mind, it's simply that I do that with everything, I like the speculation and digging things deeper until I find something that makes sense, it's a necessity in some ways. Sometimes I just have to get these things out of my mind, so I write them down, also because I feel frustrated when I get things right but I didn't register it anywhere.

Anyway, I will keep writing things until I find some purpose to it, I think I'm getting there, meanwhile there are a few things I still want to understand better. But don't worry, nothing is a waste, plus English is not my native language so this also helps as an exercise... hahaha...

I wished someone could help me with this:

• How much more a Long GOP encoding demands from your computer when compared to Intra and the encoding time difference?
    • Is the difference something that kind of work for all different codecs or each codec is very different from the other?
    • What's the difference in encoding time for the new hardware/software that already supports HEVC when compared to AVC?
    • What's the difference between HEVC Intra and AVC Long GOP in both encoding time and hardware demand to edit it smoothly without the need of transcoding?
  • Another thing that I thought is that if this is indeed a multi-aspect sensor and it works similarly to the LX100. It means that in 16:9 it might be 18MP, but in 4:3 it's 20+MP, in 3:2 is 19-20MP, this turns this Photo 4K much closer to the E-M1 II's 60fps burst, but again, different approaches, faster RAW burst vs longer JPEG burst.

Also, if Panasonic does improve AF tracking and it works in Photo 6K, it means that 30fps is faster than E-M1 II's 18fps in AF-C, which is Panasonic's way to also bring interesting feats for Photographers as well since they see the GH5 as a hybrid.

I say that because I would had preferred if Panasonic separated the GH5 and GX8 II line ups into 13MP and 24MP, both with V-log so they can also complement each other, like Sony does with the A7s and A7R, they would still be hybrids but each focused in a different front, it would bring less compromise for photo and video.

• @theSUBVERSIVE

...good job panasonic, for bringing mr. Powell on board!

Sorry to dash your hopes, but no lucrative offers have appeared in my in-box from Panasonic. I doubt they were favorably impressed by my skeptical public assessment of 8-bit V-log L, and they evidently did not regard my endorsement of JVC's firmware update pricing policies as something to emulate. However, I'm always happy to provide advice on any technical issues Panasonic may wish to discuss on this forum.

• @LPowell Why are you tagging me into that discussion? I've never mentioned you, I don't even know who you are nor the people that were talking about you. I think you are mistaking me with someone else.

• @theSUBVERSIVE

Because you mentioned him, without actually thinking about him. As you wanted to write mr. Driftwood, and not that you wrote. You had been corrected already.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev but I think you are both talking about @Brig, not me.

I simply wrote articles about the GH5 and wanted to discuss more about codecs, encoding, etc.

I've never talked about JVC firmware, Panasonic and him or anything like that, his reply doesn't seem to address anything I was talking about, otherwise I've no idea what's going on.

• @theSUBVERSIVE

LOL. You are right. But his post was above big ones of yours and also not short. So it is some sort of cognitive thing.

• Another quote on Panasonic considering GH5

No eunuch flatters his despot more basely or uses more despicable means to stimulate his dulled capacity for pleasure in order to sneak a favour for himself than does the industrial eunuch – the producer – in order to sneak for himself a few pieces of silver, in order to charm the golden birds, out of the pockets of his dearly beloved neighbours in Christ. He puts himself at the service of the other’s most depraved fancies, plays the pimp between him and his need, excites in him morbid appetites, lies in wait for each of his weaknesses – all so that he can then demand the cash for this service of love.

K. Marx

In other words - Panasonic is not making GH5 in most efficient, cheap and upgradable way. Panasonic is making camera that will provide maximally possible profit, but will still have enough bite features to lure you, to make you pay for them. And 6 months after GH5 release they will offer similar product but for ones who just did not have enough silver pieces for first one, but margins will still make all shareholders more than happy. Your function is not to use existing products to make films or photos - your sole and only important goal is to consume Panasonic products.

• @Vitaly_Kiselev You're certainly under no illusions, but I think the truth is somewhere inbetween.. Of course, the big strokes are dictated by the usual capitalistic greed, however I am sure the engineers are also putting their hearts into this to make it possible.. Lots of talented people involved in a complex production like this and it's arrogant to assume they are only doing it because of the money -- many will love their job and take pride in their product, perhaps including some in the marketing and financial departments..

• but I think the truth is somewhere inbetween..

It is not "inbetween". As all this brilliant engineers get all main work direction by their management.

So, I'll add another quote:

It can't be denied that individual initiative has given, and still giving, brilliant results in various spheres of science, technology and art. This is, and has been, the case where the initiative coincides closely with the general trend of the traditions, tastes and interests of ruling class - the bourgeoisie.

• @Vitaly_Kiselev Yes, they get directed by the management -- but let's not forget the management is what enables them to do anything at all. And I am sure the process is both ways as the management needs engineer input to make certain decisions. "Inbetween" is where a company draws its line in exploitation of their customers -- and in case of professional products that require a lot of creativity/R&D to get produced, will always be more considerate in this regard.

• @zetty

You actually try to describe one of main capitalism issues without being to express it. Main goal of ruling class, corporation shareholders and top management is opposite of the workers goal, including all engineers. And it is such across all and every corporation and factory. So, yes, many brilliant engineers make many good things. But. It is not them who set main goals, set price points, get most margins and make always horrible, expensive marketing campaigns.

• If they wait too much longer to release this camera, it will be outdated.

• @DrDave

As I understand - one issue is Sony sensors plant where their already through series of lies. Second issue is situation with Panasonic LSI, as they cut big since GH4 and joined forces with other companies. For years compacts, TZ and LX financed LSI development and production, and mirrorless build on them.

And now you have all issues in one place - outsourced sensor, half outsources LSI with no free money to finance development, and big group of marketers/representatives in local US and EU offices who became larger while sales of cameras tanked.

• If they did use a multi-aspect sensor, they would get some much needed product differentiation. Actually, there's no reason they could not just copy JVC's idea of variable image size--they would sell a ton of cams.
    But for now, it looks like BS, at least on some level.

• @DrDave

If you ask me, Japanese management is afraid about GH5, and want to see feedback to select few things.

Modern camera of such level already must have compressed 14 bit raw (and interframe one!) and 10-bit and 8bit HEVC as smaller options. Time to put all this LOG time to rest.

• Really unimpressed with this specs hiding and marketing games. Price must be too high also.

• 10-bit 422 advantages

GH5 will be close to the bottom of this chart :-)

img2799.jpg
    609 x 276 - 57K
  • The chart is meaningless without information about what it represents!

• @caveport

Average current prices.

• That's to say over 3000 $/€!!!!

• @paglez

I think it will be around $2799. And at the release time around 15 FF camera models will be cheaper.

• $2799 - with that price I hope it can show exposure numbers (iso, aperture and shutter speed).

• @Vesku

Are you ok with $3199 as price for one with advanced firmware with waveform, false color and vectorscope?