Personal View site logo
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • Two sources shared some info about the new Panasonic GH5. They both said that there will be no “full” GH5 announcement at Photokina. This means there will be no full specs, pricing and shipment info of the camera. They are yet not sure but this could mean Panasonic will display a camera prototype with some “general” specs info instead.

As expected.

It will be also fun how they will try to sell you NX1 specs camera (with few pro like additions) more than 2 years after NX1 introduction :-)

• @vitaliy what's your opinion on some weird hopes that it'll feature 4:2:2 codec internaly, like is it completely irrational to hope for

• @inqb8tr

Such hopes have some real foundation.

• And now we got a first spec info from a trusted source:

1) The camera has no crop for 4K 2) 4:2:2 10 bits internal recording!!!!

• But if there is no crop will there be body stabilization? It seems you can't have one without the other hopefully that's not the case. Or maybe there is stabilization but for a change if you turn it totally off no crop. I hope the later.

• I told ya.

Crop and sensor shift stabilization are not related.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Never been good at nuance so what should we call it a FOV penalty?

• In addition to the specs, I'm really interested to learn what "paid options" are planned for the GH5 (e.g., like vlog with GH4).

• Be total BS if the GH5 has paid vlog

• Words cannot adequately describe my feelings, so just...

Take The Monies

• not all but I'll definitely spend my money on it. Can't wait to have the GH5 in my hands. Xmas is coming............

• Be total BS if the GH5 has paid vlog

@IronFilm - I'm curious. Do you think the entire concept of paid features is bad? Or would it depend on the "base" cost of the GH5 and the "incremental" cost of a particular paid feature (e.g., vlog, 4:2:2, 1080p240)?

Might need a separate topic for the general discussion, but I am definitely interested to learn Panasonic's plan for the baseline GH5 configuration and paid features.

• @IronFilm

Time of paid VLOG is gone, do not worry.

• Would love to see a paid "timlimit removal"-addon for EU models though. ^^
    (The seperate GH4R model makes no sense if the only differences are software based.)

• @Scot As far as I know, the Sony A7R Mark II has IBIS and no crop when recording 4K.

• @scot You said: "But if there is no crop will there be body stabilization? It seems you can't have one without the other hopefully that's not the case. Or maybe there is stabilization but for a change if you turn it totally off no crop. I hope the later."

Vitaliy answered your question, but you seem to not understand ("Never been good at nuance so what should we call it a FOV penalty?") Nuance is not the problem.

IBIS has nothing to do with crop or FOV. The whole sensor moves mechanically. You are confusing IBIS with electronic stabilization (EIS), which crops the sensor. That is what is great about IBIS - there is no penalty at all (except a little noise).

Ok, that is how things work. Here is actual empirical evidence: When you turn on or off IBIS in the GX85, there is no change in crop or FOV. When you turn on electronic stabilization - guess what? - there is an increase in crop. Do you understand now?

• If 10bit 4K internal comes then Panasonic has won the game of camera wars for this round.

Panasonic was first mirrorless/DSLR with 10bit external before anybody else, now it looks like Panasonic will be first with 10bit internal before anyone else had even caught up and offered 10bit external aside from Panasonic!!

• @v10tdi Panasonic GH4 can do vlog now, be going backwards if the GH5 doesn't have all the capabilities of what the GH4 can do now.

• @IronFilm

I think any new modern mirrorless camera must have:

• 4kp60 / p50
    • no crops
    • HEVC 8 bit and 10-bit MP4 files as consumer format
    • Compressed interframe (with motion prediction) raw with bits equal to sensor, for m43 bodies it is 12 bits.
    • no time limits
  • IBIS will be the killer feature for me otherwise I will be keeping the GH4. With IBIS I can finally use the fast Panny Primes handheld that dont come with OIS (25mm 1.4 , 25mm 1.7 and 20mm 1.7)

• With IBIS I can finally use the fast Panny Primes handheld that dont come with OIS (25mm 1.4 , 25mm 1.7 and 20mm 1.7)

You can do same now with gimbal.

• yeah...I am contsantly looking at the beholder ds1 for that option. Problem I see with the gimbal is you have limited view of the screen\viewfinder so you have to shoot using quite a small aperture to make sure everything stays in focus. When handheld you can shoot with the viewfinder right up to your eye and use much larger apertures and be able to nail focus better. I know with the gimbal I could add monitoring options but to be honest i want as small a footprint as possible, so having the ibis and the camera in my hand is my favoured option. Also with lenses that do already have ois like the 12-35 2.8 you get dual IS too!!

• Problem I see with the gimbal is you have limited view of the screen\viewfinder so you have to shoot using quite a small aperture to make sure everything stays in focus.

You mean that you frequently use F1.4 with moving camera? :-)

With tilting screen framing is not big problem, as for focus - it will require skill, same one that focus pullers develop. Proper consumer way is to have 60Ghz video feed and 1080p glasses :-)

• @markr041 I understand the difference and needs of electronic stabilization. With mechanical stabilization I guess not : ) So to be clear in body stabilization is actually taking advantage of the image circle being large enough to move the sensor around with in it! Correct? So say a aftermarket lens has a image circle that barely covers the sensor it could vignette in the corners during stabilization? From my short stint with the EM5II I was led to believe that it needed to crop to get the freedom of movement.