Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • @Tron

I am glad that my words trigered the creative impulse in you, rocking up your imagination that you can be comedy writer;) Alas, I am sad to announce that I can not laugh at these jokes of yours :( I simply don't have enough capacity to be thrilled like some of you, for the fact that in 2017 flagship camera of major manufacturer I will have to use crippled state of the shck/art technology from 2014, along with specs that will be a combo of 3:1:1,5 color space with 6,83 bit codecs and sensor that will give us who knows what kind of somnabulic combinations of 2.45 crop factor if we shoot 3455x2123 frame size etc etc etc...

Not even Panasonic's generosity to give us 103fps slo-mo but only with 2123x1346 frame size and 3,367 crop factor while we can use only and exclusively iso range 25-630 ASA can't get me warmed up and excited to buy Gee Eidge five (even when it rhimes)!

What you see as my rant, I see as a common sense.

I do not ask GH5 to have for anything more that ALREADY doesn't EXIST on the market !!!

You see, I acctualy moved from canon to panasonic couple of years ago for two reasons: -I liked the potential prospectives of small factor system (my body was asking me for smaller and lighter equipment) -I loved what the indie crowd of ingenious mavericks did with gh1/2 hacks and I wanted to support that way of thinking/working.

I wantet to make a PROGRESS!!! Similar or better results with less suffering... (5lbs camera kit instead of 10lbs).

And I wanted to escape world of companies like Canon, who abuse their workers and blackmail their users (funny how easily people forget that initialy 5D only offered 30fps and NO manual control over f-stop and shutter; Canon put that in function only after a big pressure from users and public! Not to mention that all the qualities that Canon is praised for acctualy come to us thanks to the works and efforts of Magic Lantern people - NOT Canon!!!!)

I thought m43 would change that. Boy I was wrong!

When they offered us their equivalent of normal lens (lumix 25mm) for tripple the price of Canon's 50mm, I thought it was a temporary bug. Then GH3 model came out that changed nothing, so I started scratching my head. Finaly with V-log crap and panasonic's latest and the HIGHEST end broadcast camera they have, issued with native EF-mount it (?!?!?!?!) was clear to me who's getting screwed! And I am not the only one. Like it or not, we are in it all together my friends...

And the only way to protect ourselves from getting screwed again is to raise our standards, expectations and demands (to save our asses litterarly and figuratively:). GH5 is acctualy a situation where users can regain they powers through -buyer's power!

Everything I asked to be in GH5 ALREADY EXISTS on the market! Why avoiding it?

Back in mid-late 90's, to buy a portable external CD reader/burner for you PC was around 2000$. Then soon the new wave come and PC's started been sold with built in CD reader/burner, for a fraction of the price. By 2002 nobody was buying external ones anymore. We are at that stage in cameras now. With smartphones shooting photo and video the way they do, there is no way you can charge 3-10 times more for a dedicated con/prosumer photo/video camera because-soon nobody will buy them! Alexas and Phantoms-YES. DSLR/Mirrorless-NO!

How many owners of 5D mark III bought the latest 5D versions(whatever their idiotic codes names are)? I know of - nobody.

Whoever was shooting video, sold the bodies, kept EF lenses and switched to sony. And they will probably come back to Canon once their put out Canon version of GH5.

Unless GH5 comes with specs same or close to what I asked, it will have the destiny of latest 5D incarnations. And most video m43 users will switch to Canon because m43 optics is not worth staying with m43 the system. Panasonic today is Pentax SLR in post LX model era. And we know what happened to that :(

• @Brig

Get NX500 while you can :-)

• I agree, at the moment there isn't really any quantum leap in quality or features from the GH4 to make me want to switch. Yes the A7Sii is much better in low light, but then its limited to 8bit out the HDMI and the rolling shutter (which is odd considering its a 'low' MP sensor). The colours of the canons is better, but then the cameras are much bigger (and the cost...)

The FS5 apart from the NDs and Audio features doesn't provide anything substantially better. I'm sitting it out for whats in store with the GH5.

• Hello Panasonic. I want a camera that is perfect for every shooting situation and has features I don't know I need. It must shoot great stills and have more dynamic range than I need. The ergonomics must be better than any existing camera for both stills and video. I need to shoot RAW for my cat videos and be able to record my family wedding continuously for up to 6 hrs on one small battery. If you don't deliver I will rant about Panasonic on as many user forums as possible.

I am so over the B.S. speculation and 'what about me?' attitude.

If you want a decent CINEMA camera, go buy one. Everything else is going to be a compromise. If the compromise does not suit your needs.... DO NOT BUY IT. If you DO buy it, don't bore everyone on forums with your complaints.

• If you want a decent CINEMA camera, go buy one. Everything else is going to be a compromise. If the compromise does not suit your needs.... DO NOT BUY IT. If you DO buy it, don't bore everyone on forums with your complaints.

It is speculation topic.

No one here is talking while waiting cinema camera he needs badly for next day project.

• From 43rumors:

'If you were expecting to get some kind of new magic sensor with the GH5 be aware…this is not going to happen. Another source confirmed the Panasonic GH5 will have a complete new processor engine and use the current 16MP sensor used by the GX80/85 camera. The camera definitely has the best image quality performance of all Panasonic cameras on market yet but it’s a result of a new very powerful processor engine while the sensor is 99% the same as the GX80/85.'

• Issue with this rumors is that it is too specific and too early.
    Usually it is very small amount of people who know stuff and even most of them have no idea about sensor used.

If we assume that old sensor will be used it means 4K at 30fps max, and whole camera, may be outside of compression options, will be copy of GH4.

Due to specific structure and fact that almost all manufacturers are Japanese and members of very large diversified groups we can see very harsh outcomes.

I expect that one year from now no one will be questioning Samsung exit, and instead will be blaming Japanese companies who will be bleeding and cutting.

• A question. We can see the GH5 this year? I think we are in the time of change seeing the presentation of every new GH excepting the GH1, the announcement its every two years.

GH1 - March 2009

GH2 - Oct 2010

GH3 - Sept 2012

GH4 - May 2014

• I think yes, until something unexpected happens.

• The E-M1II and Gh5 will ship in early 2017 only. And it’s likely that they will NOT be announced at Photokina.

43rumors

• @Manu I am affraid that figuring out the turbulent future based on recent past is a wrong method.

If in january of 2015, someone told you that in spring of 2016 gopro is going to lay off their workers and close some factories because financialy they are going down (even though they probably had the best Christmass season ever!!!!) what would you say? Would you believe in these predictions?

But how is it possible that with all these drones and surfers and divers and their grandmas using gopros, manufacturer who makes them is on the edge of financial collapse? Ever thought of how and why is that?

Just because Panasonic CEOs, CFOs, UFOs and others wanna buy another yacht by following the guidance constructed in their riggid and selfish imagination, doesn't mean that market, users and the rest of the world will follow their idea!

When you read stats, you can learn that something like top 5 job positions today, didn't even existed 10 years ago.

You know that shooting music videos used to be a legitimate career right? And look where it is now? Where do you think that weddings video market will go if we just learned that this year there are more adult Single Americans then married ones (and that is more likely continue to be a trend). And what kind of cameras and for what price that market will be able to functionaly use in times ahead?!

Let me repeat myself:

Smartphones are shooting 4K and 240fps TODAY! And you are arguing here wheather a pro camera that needs to be released next year should have 4K 60fps?!?! Whataaaaainaaaaworldofmyyyyfffffffceeeeqqqqq?!?!?!?

I mean, can somebody please raise the stone under which you are live in? Wake up folks!!!!

Most of the jobs on video market these days are obtained not by raised quality but by underbidding the competitors! And you know where that leads... Production budgets for building up the infrastructure are dried up for quite some time now!

@Caveport I don't get what you irritation and complains are about...users demanding for manufacturers to make a product that they would acctualy like to use, whats wrong in that? You think they should just accept crippled and overpriced product just because that how "thing are"?!?

Are you sure you're not working for the darkside?;)

You say we should all use the tool we need. We would love to, but there is a minor challange to that: Tool that we need - DOES NOT exist!!! Yes, there is a bunch of crippled objects on the market of which each has something we could use, but in a grand scheme of things, it just makes no sense to do it! Makes no sense to shlepp 5 camera bodies when technology allows it all to fitt in 2 models or so. And we as user are telling to manufacturers what we Want, Need and How Much we are willing to pay for it! If they are smart they will listen and make millions by pleasing us instead of making hundreds of thousands trying to please themselves.

• If in january of 2015, someone told you that in spring of 2016 gopro is going to lay off their workers and close some factories because financialy they are going down (even though they probably had the best Christmass season ever!!!!) what would you say? Would you believe in these predictions?

But how is it possible that with all these drones and surfers and divers and their grandmas using gopros, manufacturer who makes them is on the edge of financial collapse? Ever thought of how and why is that?

This was possible to predict, and as I know such predictions had been made. In capitalism if you have too high profits in some sector you see big money inflow and within some time profits become lower than even average per economic, and later due to closings they tend to move around average. Such thing can be delayed if you have big power, unique knowledge and tech and/or patents what you are able to protect.

Situation in action/wearable cameras market will become even more tense in coming years.

When you read stats, you can learn that something like top 5 job positions today, didn't even existed 10 years ago.

It is fully false.

Where do you think that weddings video market will go if we just learned that this year there are more adult Single Americans then married ones (and that is more likely continue to be a trend).

Nothing bad will happen with wedding videos. Divorce rate increases and this is good for market :-)

And we as user are telling to manufacturers what we Want, Need and How Much we are willing to pay for it! If they are smart they will listen and make millions by pleasing us instead of making hundreds of thousands trying to please themselves.

And now you are just inconsistent. Companies look for profits, not for your good, and they are much better at finding where are maximum profits (no, not where you think they are) comparing to you.

You are too optimistic about progress and too pessimistic about people. Reverse it.

• @caveport Where you might go if it proves out is the Fujifilm XT-2. Except for high frame rates, it has caught up to the GH4 in features. It has the ideal format, an excellent line of lenses, and those Fujifilm emulations. The ability to shoot Astia or Acros with little or no post-processing is a big deal. Supposedly, it has no aliasing or moire. It remains to be seen whether it has enough DR to be competitive. If it does, I will switch from Panasonic as soon as I can afford to.

• @Vitaly

I was never big on proofs and precise documentation and I like to paraphrase rather then quote (with keeping the essence of the point of course) but since you insist here you go:)

https://www.google.com/search?client=ms-opera-mini-iphone&channel=new&q=top+five+jobs+today+didn't+exist+10+years+ago&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiJ_pDRzvTNAhXLKx4KHUQaAYAQvwUIFigA

Please don't blame me for false statements. Its google's fault not mine...

I just can not see how increasing divorce rates can be good for wedding video biz...it is a good joke I can give you that:)

What I am saying is not inconsistance its a common men's wisdom of history and evolution articulated in folk proverbs: "Lying and maintaining the lie is so expensive that at the end telling the truth pays off much better!"

Companies seek profits and always miss to get it because they do't see where the real profit is: In fullfilling other's peoples true needs!

I can not prove, but I am certain if sony or canon or panasnic ever did a study how much money they wasted in figuring out how to trick the market and screw the user by trying to maximize their profits and therefore how to sell and market crippled product that is so bad but good just enough that it is still saleble, I am sure they would come up to conclusion that they would make more money if they offered a honest deal to begin with! They are on the market for multiple mutants like C100/C300/C500 and T6i charade (I meam is there realy any viable difference btw T2i and T6i?!:), that has a target audience of dozens of thousands users! The truth is that there are millions of people waiting for some sort of combo of C300 specs paired with 5D lighness or if you want, middle ground between GH4 and Varicam. But because such product doesn't exist, people just don't wanna venture because they now the game is rigged so user is amwsys screwed. So they wait or give up, change brand or change interest and go fishing, taking dance lessons or playing sudoku...

Gopro was on the market only for the profits! And look what happened? They tried to trick people into what their needs are...

Arri is on the market to serve the market! And they are stronger then ever, with soverign rulling over highest end market! They are there to fullfill the real need of high end market and people just took it (I don't think they are good guys in any way but they do play fair play game!)

• I was never big on proofs and precise documentation and I like to paraphrase rather then quote (with keeping the essence of the point of course) but since you insist here you go:)

Your link make no sense considering your statement, of course many new jobs appear. But they are not among top 5 jobs.

I just can not see how increasing divorce rates can be good for wedding video biz...it is a good joke I can give you that:)

It is not joke, as population in US is growing and each woman also have more weddings comparing to old times. Good for wedding shooters.

You also have very unusual understanding of camera market and economics. Can you make bigger and more detailed separate post about all your points?

• If you look at mere numbers-then yes, that what you might come up with as a conclusion! But you forget the part that is not writen in invoice and yet it costs more: Psycological perception of the world and emotions...

1: More divorces+more new weddings+more money spent on essentials (food and music)= less money for luxurious aspect of event (such as videographing of wedding).

2: More divorces>more additional weddings=the act of wedding becomes a frequent action, almost everyday activity, more then once in a lifetime event that needs to becrekembered! Why would I spend 5-10k to create a video memory of something that might never become an event worth to memorize?:)

:)

Good Idea for a dedicated post. Thanks. When I get time I will definatly do it!

• In comparison to GH4, GH5 will have:

• Same sensor as GX85
    • Same IBIS as GX85
    • Better processor than GX85
    • Most of the fancy features as in GX85, like crop panning etc. modes
    • FullHD 120fps
    • New video profile, similar to V-log
    • They give up on weather sealed body
    • They will introduce new gadget that integrates to GH5 body. Like YAGH was to GH4. What it will be? Not sure yet. Maybe Panasonic's own video RAW recorder.
  • All you camera are belong to us.

• One thing I am waiting on camera market is extremely cheap FF camera with monthly rate. Like new Windows or Office.

You get perfect FF camera kit for $200 with build in 4G module, and pay $10 for each 1000 shots and $25 per month. If you don't pay it becomes fully locked (including lens).

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev LOL but I shouldn't laugh because they would charge more than that say $10.00 per 50 exposures after all think what we use to pay for film! In comparison to film days 50 exposures for $10.00 would be cheap.

• @Scot

I think it is future, seriously.

It is also way for market to be more like smartphones market, with China and Japan just making cameras under different brands names, like Google or Apple :-)

• I don't care what they put into the GH5 as they show little concern for what we really want. I just want them to announce so I can decide which system my next investment dollar should lean towards.

• Wow did i just read some rants and whining. I've created more content with the GH4 that puts some high paying DPs to shame with Reds than most. Christ, I've produced content with a Go Pro Hero 4 Black in 4k that's blown the socks off two big name manufacturers that now want to pick it up for their own marketing. I try to say this without ego, but really the tools boil down to whose hands its in. In my professional experience the GH4 is near perfect in V-Log 10 bit out to a Shogun (with alexa like highlight roll off). Different tools for different jobs. If I want a full frame low light monster I'll pick up an a7s, if I want an all around camera that can produce a cinematic look I will opt for the GH4 with metabones 64 xl and shogun. The GH5 will only get better marginally because it is already there and its almost 3 years old! Everything internal would be fantastic without the need for external peripherals, but the unit built up is still insanely compact. I think what we all can agree upon is we really need higher quality slow motion (4k 60p, HD 120 / 240p) in camera that isn't muddy and I think thats about it. Calm down folks and focus on your skill... not the tech per say. With that said, speculate away... but complaining that Panasonic doesn't listen or creates cameras that are lacking is simply not true.

• @Brig My post was Sarcasm & Irony, nothing else. @CapionStudio is right on the money.

• I am happy to pay for upgraded features: VLog, 422, RAW etc... and then pick and choose what I want.

Personally I wouldn't like to go down the hardware / software as service road. That is the reason why I haven't personally gone down the CC pathway. That is just my view. Many don't share it.

Especially since Apple is planning (in the process of) adding subscription to App Store, looks like this really is the future. (which actually may be a good thing for Apple Pro Apps as this may get more features and functionality out).

But seriously- please Panasonic, just keep up the great work and possibly add a few "paid" features, no subscription.