Personal View site logo
GH5 Panasonic camera, from anticipation to love or hate
  • 2083 Replies sorted by
  • GH5 could use that SteadyXP idea by using its accelerometer and higher than 4k pixel readout (maybe 5k) and stabilizing 4k video moving that 5k frame according to accelerometer info. I think that G7, GX8 and some Sonys does that by moving and cropping fullhd video.

I still dont know how the OIS and camera accelerometer could co-operate well. Is it the idea of dual stabilation in GX8?

• GH5 could use that SteadyXP idea by using its accelerometer and higher than 4k pixel readout (maybe 5k) and stabilizing 4k video moving that 5k frame according to accelerometer info. I think that G7, GX8 and some Sonys does that by moving and cropping fullhd video.

Just go and buy some small stabilizer.

Electronic stabilization is good idea and even most advanced ones sometimes can do erratic things (in camera ones, idea to move it to postprocessing is actually good one).

• I think the GH5 should have some additional internal stabilization because the A7 series has IBIS and the Panasonic lenses has jitters.

• I wish there were an option NOT to have IBIS. I have an A7s and returned the A7sII partially because IBIS adds size, weight, and heat + burns through batteries faster. It may be great outdoors "Hand Held" but of negative value on a TriPod.

• "option NOT to have IBIS." I'm sure you can turn it off - so if you are on a tripod, you can turn it off and it should not affect battery life. You turn it on only when you need, and never otherwise. IBIS may add to "size and weight", but the A7sii is not very much bigger than A7s, only a little, so it can't be that much. From my point of view, I'd rather have the option of IBIS that I can turn off, than not have the IBIS capability at all.

• RottenCarcass, You misunderstood or I failed to explain.

I want the option of buying a GH5 without IBIS. Others would want a Video or stills Camera option, I prefer the Hybrid GH4. Only thing the GH5 needs for me to upgrade is clean ISO 6400-8000.

Part of why I sent my A7sII back was a bloated menu and a lot of other things like IBIS that I do not use. They could have fixed the menu problem by adding "My Menu" where I could add only the items I use. Nikon & others have this.

• And here is an article in German computer magazine "Chip" speculating on the GH5. They claim their information is based on some business reports from Panasonic.

The list of rumored features they name in the linked article:

• same 20MP sensor as in GX8
    • 6k video recording (no indication of frame rate)
    • 4k video at 60fps.
    • announcement in September 2016
  • Hello, Maybe add the new protocol Newtek (NDI network device interface) and a network connection (RJ45...). Phab

• The 20MP sensor is only 5184 pixels wide, so I would think it's more likely to record 5K (5120×2880) than 6K. If they uprez to 6K that would be a shame as it would require more cpu/gpu crunching in post and wouldn't actually deliver a boost in resolved detail.

It's obviously just a rumor at this point, but I remain suspicious of marketing department's desire to sometimes flaunt specs over substance.

• @Tron: Given that all the "4k" camera sensors only have about 1/3 of the number of pixels that "4k" displays have, upscaling a little more wouldn't make things that much worse. Let's not forget that camera manufacturers count 1 red + 1 green + 1 blue pixel as "3 pixels", while displays have at least 3 colored sub-pixels for each of the 3840x2160 pixels they display.

If you aim at recording independent values for each of your 3840x2160 display pixels, you would need a camera with at least 24883200 "pixels as counted by camera manufacturers".

• Given that all the "4k" camera sensors only have about 1/3 of the number of pixels that "4k" displays have, upscaling a little more wouldn't make things that much worse.

Add here fact that our eyes are much closer to sensors than to displays.

Hence whole reason for sparse color encoding.

• I would note ... as several of the Panny reps responded at NAB today ... while they haven't seen finalized lists of features/options for the GH5 yet (or several other cams) ... they suggested that expecting roll-outs for Photokina this fall was likely for most, & CES in January for others. So ... speculate away.

Also ... as far as 10-bit recording in-cam: that would require a bit of work, and now that there are a number of moderate cost external recorders that do that, there's not as much pressure on them as one might think. Perhaps the users should communicate this interest to Panny?

I think my interests would be ...

1) wider DR sensor; 2) internal 10-bit recording.

• Any adress, where this interest can be addessed? Here or via an email?

• I think going to the Panny websites and looking for contact info, especially for sales/marketing people at this point. Matt Frazier for much of the US is I think the guy.

From discussions at NAB, which I'm just leaving ... at my gate 3 hours early, not that I'm eager to get out of Vegas ... I would expect that they'll have a lot more info and maybe demo model for PhotoKina, but not roll out "real" GH5 until CES next January.

• GH5 has to compete with a7s territory to be taken seriously and sell units from now on. I would not be surprised at all if Panasonic has had to go back to the drawing board for the GH5. (purely my speculation, but would make sense- especially as to the confusion from Panny reps)

Panasonic really does need to go back to the drawing board, deliver a camera with huge dynamic range, lovely colour, low light capability, and able to record in high quality (even if external).

Oh, and maybe 6k.

Crazy demands right?

• GH4 already has colour and high quality external advantages over the a7s.

6K is a silly request. Anyone who actually needs above 4K can afford a RED.

10 bit internal is a compelling feature I could foresee actually appearing in the GH5.

• My GH4 already beats my A7s in everyway except low light performance.

• @RRRoger I agree %100 about low light, but what about DR? Really? And colour science?

Don't get me wrong, I am a GH4 guy, but lots of stuff looks seriously good on A7s.

Maybe I just need to get a Video Assists, or Shogun and be happy.

@Cde the 6k was just to keep in line with current rumours, personally I think 8k would be better. :-) 6k does look like a popular format for capture on 'serious cameras'®

• I have GH4. I switched to m43 for certain philosofical/doctrinary reason. When I see how much hopes and expactations people have about GH5, and how entangled they are in specs, makes me very sad because I feel like they miss the whole point of invention of m43 and they are ignorant of reality around them...

My predictions? GH5 will be different from GH4 as much as GH3 was different to GH2. Almost Meaningless. Again, I am afraid, users swallowed the bait that was thrown by decision board comitties of higher managments in corporations. Panasonic issues a high end Pro camera and the native lens mount on it is - EF! (Wtf?!!?!?!?!) Thats how much panasonic believes in themselves and thier own m43 format. And they gonna put a new carrot on us to keep us obedient and hipnotized for a bit more: Higher megacound and slow mo but 420 or Raw but iso that sucks or batteries and card drainage beynd point. Or great iso but DR 9,5 stops. And so on...

In other words, for people like me (semi/pro camera owner/shooter), we have to look for switching to some other systems because GH5 will be not good enough because their owner/producer can not be trusted.

• @Brig

Do not worry, if things will be such bad as I think I expect corporations to promote idea that only raw enabled medium frame cameras can be used for anything outside family videos.

• I'm sure NAB 2017 will be year of Raw MF video.

• I would like only slightly better DR, less noise in shadows & internal 4:2:2 10 bit recording at 4K.

• @caveport sounds like a nice camera!