Personal View site logo
GH1 apefos patches
  • GH1 apefos patches: custom matrix and qp for 1080 and 720, matrix design is customized for GH1 from The End NR4 GH2 patches

setE = 24p 60p, FHD/SH 32Mbps (36Mbps Overall), H 28Mbps, L 24Mbps (24p wrapped in 60i needs pulldown in post production)

setF = 24p 60p, FHD/SH 32Mbps (34Mbps Overall), H 28Mbps, L 24Mbps (24p wrapped in 60i needs pulldown in post production)

(setE and SetF is improved for 24p and 60p but also works for 25p inside 50i and for 50p)

setI = 25p 50p, FHD/SH 32Mbps (36Mbps Overall), H 28Mbps, L 24Mbps (25p is native)

setJ = 25p 50p, FHD/SH 32Mbps (34Mbps Overall), H 28Mbps, L 24Mbps (25p is native)

(setI and setJ can have bug in 24p, but can work good for 25p, 50p and 60p)

Overall is the datarate peak, considering 34 and 36, one of them will be more stable, please try both

Put user.ini, patches, ptool and firmware in same folder to create the hacked firmwares

Enjoy

• 58 Replies sorted by
  • Ya, maybe the old beast "GH1" should be left as it is with the latest firmware hack.

• this last patch in post above does not work good. the datsarate increases, but image gets squares. maybe increase the qpmax to 51 can solve, but I am tired about patches.

I believe the custom matrix is increasing datarate, and maybe the problem is qpmax lowered to 31, I think keep qpmax=51 will solve and keep datrate higher, but I will not test.

better keep the "no diagonal rain patch" which works pretty good.

• This is a very special patch in terms of logic and reasoning:

The patch below uses the qpmin = 19, qpmax = 31, datarate 44, overall 46, buffer 50

it introduces a new design in matrix, the gh2 progressive matrix was reordered into the interlaced array to be compatible with gh1 24p wrapped into 60i

My logic was to lower the qpmax to a supposed safe value (4x the qpmin) and to follow the matrix order of the h264 book's draw

these changes are in an attempt to get better image quality in both low light and good light:

feedbacks are very welcome!

pi.jpg
    212 x 420 - 23K
    interlaced-matrix+qp19-31.zip
  • When I develop a patch, I try almost every possible values for a given setting.

I think the QPmax is the last thing to find, so I created patches with all QPmax values from 19 to 51.

I believe one of these will deliver a better image texture, better lowlight image and higher datarate in lowlight with perfect stability.

How to test, 3 videos for each patch, with OIS enabled, autofocus and autoexposure: 1) ten seconds in the death chart iso 400, 2) 10 seconds in good light, more detailed image iso 100, 3) 10 seconds in lowlight iso 1000, less detailed image. To test the diagonal rain, point camera to a grey surface and start recording with correct exposure, then start to underxpose until get a black image.

Open video in streamparser to see the datarate and frames behavior, see video in screen to perceive visual quality.

Less artifacts, less macroblocks, more texture in surfaces, higher datarate, higher frames size, more constant frames size, and more stability are better.

When open the patch in ptool, put mouse over patch letter to read patch details, last number is the QPmax: example: gh1_44_19-51 (44 is the fullhd datarate, 19 is the QPmin, 51 is the QPmax)

I am away from gh1 at this moment, so If there is someone to try be welcome. Let's cooperate!

gh1_qpmax.zip
  • I prepared these patches in an attempt to get higher datarate in low light, and keep stability.

The GH1 lowers the datarate in low light automaticaly, so my logic was to lower the QPmax to force the codec to make less compression in low light and consequently allow a higher datarate and better image quality.

v2 setj keeps the QPmin = 19 and reduces the QPmax = 32 (the no diagonal rain patch is 19-51)

v3 seti keeps the QPmin = 19 and reduces the QPmax = 28 (the no diagonal rain patch is 19-51)

they increase datarate to 44Mbps for fullhd, a 4Mbps increase compared to the no diagonal rain patch which is 40Mbps, the overall datarate was increased from 42 to 46Mbps compared to the no diagonal rain patch.

they keep the video buffer at 50Mbps, same as the no diagonal rain patch

small changes, but maybe can be stable and significant low light and shadows quality improvement. Maybe better textures also.

Feedbacks welcome!

v2.zip
    v3.zip
  • The versions below decrease the QPmax values in an attempt to increase quality in shadows, dark areas and low light situations.

Try to perceive which one will deliver a higher datarate in low light and also keep the image diagonal rain free. Point camera to a grey surface, one or two fstop underexposed to see if diagonal rain shows up.

Everything is the same compared to the no diagonal rain patch, only the QPmax was changed.

seta = QPmin=19, QPmax=51 (no diagonal rain patch)

sete = QPmin=19, QPmax=32

setf = QPmin=19, QPmax=35

setg = QPmin=19, QPmax=38

seth = QPmin=19, QPmax=28

gh1_40_19-32_19-35_19-38.zip
    gh1_40_19-28.zip
  • @yskunto I prepared 4 versions for you try, with different datarates, keeping QPmin=19

seta is the no diagonal rain patch, 40Mbps

setb is 56Mbps, setc is 64Mbps, setd is 72Mbps

so please reply to say if they are stable and better quality.

gh1_4versions.zip
  • Is it diagonal rain free? Or does it need transcode to get rid of the diagonal rain?

the trick I found to cancel the diagonal rain was to set QPmin=19 and QPmax=51

In this article below you can see that 19 is a good value for image quality, also the panasonic default value is 20, so the no diagonal rain patch is one step better in QP:

http://slhck.info/articles/crf

• This is the modified LPowell setting that I put in my GH1. It needs user.ini from your "No diagonal rain" patch. I like the texture and the details that it gives. When tested with the Stray's color death card, it gives a nice balance between I-frame and P-frame size. Thanks for @humpman findings on min/max QP settings.

seta.ini
  • In my previous post above where I said "QPmax is 19 also" it was a wrong information, the correct information is: the QPmax is 51

@yskunto can you say how the LPowell patch is better than the no diagonal rain? does it show better image in which situations? also you can try to change the no diagonal rain patch for QPmin=4 or 5 or 6... and keep QPmax=51 to perceive differences. you can also try to increase datarate to something like 48Mbps...

• @apefos thanks! I stay with a modified LPowell Peak Reliability setting (24p in 60i) with QP tweak (QP min=4, QP max=51) for good light and use your "no diagonal rain patch" for high ISO.

• @yskunto I saw your post in other topic and I will answer here because it is related to this patch: do not worry about increase the datarate and about native 24p.

native 24p is completely unstable in GH1 so it is better to record wrapped 24p inside 60i. You can use a free software called HandBrake to convert the footage to native 24p. It can save custom settings and do batch processing.

The datarate in "no diagonal rain patch" is enough for grading in post and works ok for web videos, pendrive/bluray delivery or tv broadcast, no problem.

In the "no diagonal rain patch" there are no custom matrices, I started experimenting with custom matrices and different QP, but I ended using the panasonic original matrices, and the QPmin is 19 and QPmax is 19 also. Stable and good quality.

• @owen you must consult with humpman. He is the person who build qp parameter for this patch. As long as I know, he tried to make qp available for gf1 and g2. The G2 version is not work. I do not know for GF1.

@apefos the patch has been very stable. No error so far.

• @yskunto thanks, you will like...

@owen i dont know if it can work on gf1, maybe there is an answer in hacks faq.

• @yskunto Looking forward to seeing your results. I have apefos's GH2 settings on my GF2 for almost a year, now.

@apefos I just bought a GF1 to get full manual controls, in AVCHD 720p30. Is there any chance that this GH1 patch can be made to work in GF1 ?

• I got a GH1 for fun. I will install your patch and report later.

• Now the GH1 No Diagonal Rain Patch presets and profiles for neatvideo 4 denoise are complete with 24p and 60p:

gh1_neatvideo4.zip
    1M
  • NeatVideo 4.1.1 Presets and Profiles for GH1 using "No Diagonal Rain Patch" (for 24p).

Tweaked for best noise reduction and to minimize the vertical strip pattern and the horizontal lines pulsing from iso 100 up to iso 3200.

gh1_neatvideo4.zip
    1M
  • @konjow I consider the five patches in the GH1 faq page to be the number 1, the @humpman patches to be the number 2, and the "no diagonal rain patch" to be the number 3 it is a good option for stability and quality give it a try.

• @apefos I will have same time tomorrow and Id like to make final decision for stable GH1 settings 25p? No Dagonal Rain Patch would be your no1 at the moment to test?

• @yskunto on vimeo page there is the complete video description with camera settings and editing. you can also download the 1080p. there is no neatvideo.

• @apefos the "No Diagonal Rain Patch" looks great in my screen. Did you use noise reduction in your post production for the evening scene? Well, I hope that @humpman will soon get his "qp" things to GF1 and G2 to live up the old pal!

• I did some real world footage with the gh1 today with the "No Diagonal Rain Patch" and it works ok. The datarate vary from 11 to 37Mbps depending on detail and exposure on scene. The codec is variable datarate, when there is no detail and less movements the datarate is lower but the quality is pretty good. I did wrapped 24p and 720p60 for slowmotion, both works without empty frames in streamparser. 720p60 upresize ok to 1080p. I used the noise reduction -2 and sharpness 0 in camera for better quality, the contrast and saturation can vary depending on scene. Iso was from 100 up to 1600. The vertical stripes lines just show up when the image is underexposed, in good exposure I cannot see it no matter the iso. The iDynamic works pretty good to lift the shadows when needed, I used it with iso 100 for less noise. The horizontal pulsing banding starts to show up in iso 1250 and above, from iso 100 up to iso 1000 there is no significant horizontal pulsing banding. The pulldown removal is easy to do in computer, the order of pulldown is always the same. There is no diagonal rain with this patch. The gh1 is a great camera for blu-ray and web videos (youtube and vimeo) and it does good grading in post (to be honest if you do good settings in film mode contrast and saturation and a good exposure and good white balance there is no need of grading in post), I perceived that the standard film mode delivers the best dynamic range and image quality. Neatvideo cleans the iso 1600 very good and can reduce the horizontal pulsing banding from the iso 1600 using temporal set to 1. If you ask me, for cinema theater projection I miss the great gh2 image noise and texture quality from The End NR4 Intra 120 Patch, for bluray and web gh1 is ok, and a good B camera for gh2 cinema production.

• @yskunto I think this decision is about two things:

first: do you have the extra money for gh2? if you have go for it. or would it be better to save this extra money for other things?

second: what will you do with the camera? family and friends videos? short movies for web youtube and vimeo? for these purposes the gh1 is more than enough with the No Diagonal Rain Patch. but if you will do television broadcast and cinema theater projection so better get the gh2 with The End NR4 intra patch.