Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH1 apefos patches
  • 58 Replies sorted by
  • Is it diagonal rain free? Or does it need transcode to get rid of the diagonal rain?

the trick I found to cancel the diagonal rain was to set QPmin=19 and QPmax=51

In this article below you can see that 19 is a good value for image quality, also the panasonic default value is 20, so the no diagonal rain patch is one step better in QP:

http://slhck.info/articles/crf

• @yskunto I prepared 4 versions for you try, with different datarates, keeping QPmin=19

seta is the no diagonal rain patch, 40Mbps

setb is 56Mbps, setc is 64Mbps, setd is 72Mbps

so please reply to say if they are stable and better quality.

gh1_4versions.zip
  • The versions below decrease the QPmax values in an attempt to increase quality in shadows, dark areas and low light situations.

Try to perceive which one will deliver a higher datarate in low light and also keep the image diagonal rain free. Point camera to a grey surface, one or two fstop underexposed to see if diagonal rain shows up.

Everything is the same compared to the no diagonal rain patch, only the QPmax was changed.

seta = QPmin=19, QPmax=51 (no diagonal rain patch)

sete = QPmin=19, QPmax=32

setf = QPmin=19, QPmax=35

setg = QPmin=19, QPmax=38

seth = QPmin=19, QPmax=28

gh1_40_19-32_19-35_19-38.zip
    gh1_40_19-28.zip
  • I prepared these patches in an attempt to get higher datarate in low light, and keep stability.

The GH1 lowers the datarate in low light automaticaly, so my logic was to lower the QPmax to force the codec to make less compression in low light and consequently allow a higher datarate and better image quality.

v2 setj keeps the QPmin = 19 and reduces the QPmax = 32 (the no diagonal rain patch is 19-51)

v3 seti keeps the QPmin = 19 and reduces the QPmax = 28 (the no diagonal rain patch is 19-51)

they increase datarate to 44Mbps for fullhd, a 4Mbps increase compared to the no diagonal rain patch which is 40Mbps, the overall datarate was increased from 42 to 46Mbps compared to the no diagonal rain patch.

they keep the video buffer at 50Mbps, same as the no diagonal rain patch

small changes, but maybe can be stable and significant low light and shadows quality improvement. Maybe better textures also.

Feedbacks welcome!

v2.zip
    v3.zip
  • When I develop a patch, I try almost every possible values for a given setting.

I think the QPmax is the last thing to find, so I created patches with all QPmax values from 19 to 51.

I believe one of these will deliver a better image texture, better lowlight image and higher datarate in lowlight with perfect stability.

How to test, 3 videos for each patch, with OIS enabled, autofocus and autoexposure: 1) ten seconds in the death chart iso 400, 2) 10 seconds in good light, more detailed image iso 100, 3) 10 seconds in lowlight iso 1000, less detailed image. To test the diagonal rain, point camera to a grey surface and start recording with correct exposure, then start to underxpose until get a black image.

Open video in streamparser to see the datarate and frames behavior, see video in screen to perceive visual quality.

Less artifacts, less macroblocks, more texture in surfaces, higher datarate, higher frames size, more constant frames size, and more stability are better.

When open the patch in ptool, put mouse over patch letter to read patch details, last number is the QPmax: example: gh1_44_19-51 (44 is the fullhd datarate, 19 is the QPmin, 51 is the QPmax)

I am away from gh1 at this moment, so If there is someone to try be welcome. Let's cooperate!

gh1_qpmax.zip
  • This is a very special patch in terms of logic and reasoning:

The patch below uses the qpmin = 19, qpmax = 31, datarate 44, overall 46, buffer 50

it introduces a new design in matrix, the gh2 progressive matrix was reordered into the interlaced array to be compatible with gh1 24p wrapped into 60i

My logic was to lower the qpmax to a supposed safe value (4x the qpmin) and to follow the matrix order of the h264 book's draw

these changes are in an attempt to get better image quality in both low light and good light:

feedbacks are very welcome!

pi.jpg
    212 x 420 - 23K
    interlaced-matrix+qp19-31.zip
  • this last patch in post above does not work good. the datsarate increases, but image gets squares. maybe increase the qpmax to 51 can solve, but I am tired about patches.

I believe the custom matrix is increasing datarate, and maybe the problem is qpmax lowered to 31, I think keep qpmax=51 will solve and keep datrate higher, but I will not test.

better keep the "no diagonal rain patch" which works pretty good.

• Ya, maybe the old beast "GH1" should be left as it is with the latest firmware hack.