Personal View site logo
Truly filmic and non filmic cameras flame
  • Dedicated to ripping covers and uncovering conspiracies of Japanese corporations.

• 36 Replies sorted by
  • Interesting squiggly inside the bokeh at around 1:21

• forget filmic, orgasmic is the look to go for.

• the sony a7s to me is one of the mst cinematic looking cameras out there right now, take a look at this

• What I see in a number of web videos is that many appear to go for "film" look or cinematic camera techniques when the purpose of using the camera does not require it, and would be better off without it.

For example, trying to make family clips "cinematic". Things like adding dramatic music to pictures of relatives walking around in a tourist destination, using 24fps and adjusting image to resemble film stock, fiddling with gear, lenses and angles at the cost of the moment, and publishing it for everyone on the web to see. Meanwhile, what the rest of the family usually needs is capturing a memory close to life, including having the camera holder in the moment with them, not worrying about the act of capturing. Rarely do people really want to be used as objects of cameraman's practice or attempts at art.

I bet most of us camerapeople have made the mistake, while spouse/kid/nephew/whoever pointing their small-sensor all-auto videocam or smartphone in right direction has provided better material for memories.

• @AndySAndyS hey again, another fellow kiwi here! :-) How is your movie going along? Are you based in Auckland btw, is where I'm located.

• there is a lot more to achieving the "cinematic" look than the camera itself.

• What AndyS is sayng is clear at first sight for me. As simple as that. If you can't see you are in the wrong business.

• FYI: just read this

How to Get rid of the Video Look in the Panasonic GH4 http://wolfcrow.com/blog/how-to-get-rid-of-the-video-look-in-the-panasonic-gh4/

• @derek One clip does not prove nor disprove the cinematic look achievable with the gh2 vs gh4. I have the 2 , and will gladly trade with someone who has the 4 and finds it lacking.

Any takers?

• @AndyS

your feeble response in the previous thread to not posting the footage you mention so often was that the subject was the GH4 - the subject of this thread is .. truly filmic etc etc.

so what's your reason for not posting some of your 'filminc footage in this thread

put up or shut up (for the 3rd time)

• @x_worpig_x

you sir are a genius!

although the camera itself may exhibit a slight green cast, the potato lens is a winner, giving a filmlike, organic softness to any subject & you can use it for a BBQ after the shoot!

• GH2 is more Filimic out the box than GH4. Sample clip before the hack gh2

• Most of us simply want a camera that produces images closer to the organic feel of film - rather than "video".

We should all know the "video look" that I mean.

That is why I have been unsure of the GH4. But I like the hacked GH2.

• kodak film is stunning…and for a paying job I use it

• If you really want to know what the difference between the video of any given camera and filmstocks, talk to the developers of, say, filmconvert. They can tell you what the objective differences are. It ain't voodoo.

Of course, there a million other factors: light film the way a lot of video gets lit, and film will look like video. Content also affects perception of "filmic" or "cinematic".

Another issue is projection: film-originated material projected on film is different from the same material projected digitally. Quentin Tarantino claims digital projection is killing cinema, but even if you don't go far, there are objective differences.

• @AndyS Hey I found your camera!

GH4_organic.jpg
    579 x 962 - 196K
  • Cause nothing says filmlook like the edge enhancement you get with electronic m4/3 lenses.

I've never seen a digital camera that looks like film. I'm not saying film is better, but there hasn't been a digital camera yet that blows out to overexposure like film does.

• keeping my gh2

• I think this one has "it". Well done!!-

• I actually kind of agree that gh4 does not have "filmic" look. I can't really define what that is. I don't think it's only oversharp, but more complex not easily defined things like highlight roll-off, how it handles colors, is contrast too much on object's edge, etc.

Now can most of this be "fixed" with proper lighting and grading? Absolutely. For me, I'm holding off on a gh4 until I see the shogun recorded 4k with 4:2:2 color. Same with a7. I don't thing there's enough A7 footage out there to really judge just yet.

I have a BlackMagic Cinema Camera. With all its limitations ad quirks, the BMCC it's way more filmic out of the box. And grades way better than a gh4 or a7 probably ever will. When I look at the footage, non-filmic never pops into mind. But a gh4 is miles better for eng-type filming and media gathering. I would never even think about using Black Magic for that. It would be like being beating myself on the head with a baseball bat.

This filmic, not filmic thing is like the difference on your TV between DEMO and FILM. All the settings together make the difference.

I think a gh4 can look filmic, but probably not without a fair amount of work in post. And that should be easier with more color info.

• OK - I guess no-one else has noticed so much of the GH4 footage looking "video-ish".

I will be on my way then.

Regards to all.

• I'm hoping 4k will be Elvish.

• @AndyS Wanna buy one extra GF2? I've been keeping one as paper weight.

• @AndyS There are many reasons to buy a camera, all of those who have purchased a GH4, I guess have done so by gathering their own evidence and making a judgement based on "their" own needs. If you don't see what you are looking for in this or any other camera, moving on is probably advisable. You are not going to find that others who have decided that this camera is right for "them", rejoicing in reasons why this camera is not right for you. You will also find (and may have found already) that when you question other people's judgement, this is often misunderstood as inferring that other's judgement is wrong, this isn't in fact the case, it is only that other's reasons are different to your own.
    I think that is your problem right here.. "I want someone to give me a good reason" nobody here is able to give you a good reason.. Because simply, your reasons are not our reasons.. Remember that questioning other people's judgement will lead you in a less than positive direction. Enjoy your GH2 until a camera comes along that satisfies your own reasons to change :)

• BTW - Dan - you brought up an old clip of mine shot on GF2. That was before I owned GH2. I have found the hacked GH2 to be far more "filmic", my friend. I am simply waiting for some GH4 footage that looks as "organic".

Regards, Andy.