Personal View site logo
Truly filmic and non filmic cameras flame
  • 36 Replies sorted by
  • @x_worpig_x

you sir are a genius!

although the camera itself may exhibit a slight green cast, the potato lens is a winner, giving a filmlike, organic softness to any subject & you can use it for a BBQ after the shoot!

• @AndyS

your feeble response in the previous thread to not posting the footage you mention so often was that the subject was the GH4 - the subject of this thread is .. truly filmic etc etc.

so what's your reason for not posting some of your 'filminc footage in this thread

put up or shut up (for the 3rd time)

• @derek One clip does not prove nor disprove the cinematic look achievable with the gh2 vs gh4. I have the 2 , and will gladly trade with someone who has the 4 and finds it lacking.

Any takers?

• FYI: just read this

How to Get rid of the Video Look in the Panasonic GH4 http://wolfcrow.com/blog/how-to-get-rid-of-the-video-look-in-the-panasonic-gh4/

• What AndyS is sayng is clear at first sight for me. As simple as that. If you can't see you are in the wrong business.

• there is a lot more to achieving the "cinematic" look than the camera itself.

• @AndySAndyS hey again, another fellow kiwi here! :-) How is your movie going along? Are you based in Auckland btw, is where I'm located.

• What I see in a number of web videos is that many appear to go for "film" look or cinematic camera techniques when the purpose of using the camera does not require it, and would be better off without it.

For example, trying to make family clips "cinematic". Things like adding dramatic music to pictures of relatives walking around in a tourist destination, using 24fps and adjusting image to resemble film stock, fiddling with gear, lenses and angles at the cost of the moment, and publishing it for everyone on the web to see. Meanwhile, what the rest of the family usually needs is capturing a memory close to life, including having the camera holder in the moment with them, not worrying about the act of capturing. Rarely do people really want to be used as objects of cameraman's practice or attempts at art.

I bet most of us camerapeople have made the mistake, while spouse/kid/nephew/whoever pointing their small-sensor all-auto videocam or smartphone in right direction has provided better material for memories.

• the sony a7s to me is one of the mst cinematic looking cameras out there right now, take a look at this

• forget filmic, orgasmic is the look to go for.

• Interesting squiggly inside the bokeh at around 1:21