Personal View site logo
GH4 4K Panasonic video camera, official topic
  • 3230 Replies sorted by
  • @crowbar - I'm confused. Does 5DtoRGB actually convert 4k? Thought it was just 1080 conversions. The Firecoresoft programme just bombs out every time I try to load a 4k file - load failure error message. Did you have any problems with it? (pc trial version)

thanks - just desperate to find a down-convert method that will give me aliasing free footage to import into avid..

• @mrbill Well I am no expert but yes unless I am missing something, it surely converted the 4K clip to ProResHQ liked I programed it to and when I checked the file size of each, the ProRes was larger than the 4K clip which is to be expected. But when converting the 4K clip using Firecoresoft (yes it worked for me) there is only "smart fit" option when it comes to the bit rate so there was no way to retain the quality and the file size was way smaller than the 5DtoRGB transcode plus I could notice a softness in the image for sure next to the 4K clip. The 5DtoRGB conversion was supreme to my eyes! Firecoresoft is convenient for less crucial internet stuff and also can snap a jpeg photo from any footage loaded into it. However I will certainly avoid it like the plague for converting 4K video! Sure wish rarevision and other experts who have actually done the test would weigh in here on the pros and cons of using 5DtoRGB as a convertor to preparing the 4K for editing in a 1080p timeline. The frame grabs I posted earlier should speak for themselves...

• http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/eventDetails.jsp/id/1818 For those who already have the GH4, learn from the pros on how to use it. I will still be watching to see what I am missing. :)

• @crowbar The person who made the comparison between GH4 and BMC stated that exposure was dialed the same on both cameras. I also see Gh4 a little bit brighter, about 1/3 or so, but the highlights are better preserved on GH4, they clip after the BMC....this can only men better DR.

• B&H is doing a webcast discussing GH4 and answering questions. They are accepting questions via Twitter and are also going to give away a free GH4. Here's link with time/info:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/panasonicGH4Event.jsp?registered=true&cm_mmc=EML--NewAnnouncement-PanasonicGH4LiveEvent--140522-_-Body_Retail_GH4Event

• Could someone with a body have a play with Synchro Scan?

It's a fine shutter speed adjustment right? How fine is it? Can you dial in fractional shutter speeds?

And can you tweak this during recording, or only before recording starts?

• @thorn, it depends on your workflow. If you do keying, anything that resamples the image (resizing, distorting, stabilisation) or anything that samples several pixels together (eg. blurring/sharpening) then 4:4:4 is very useful.

But if all you do is colour adjustments (levels, curves, LUTs etc), or no adjustments at all, and then render out to 4:2:0, 4:4:4 source buys you nothing.

• Sony a7r video looks impressive too. What do you guys think of comparing it to GH4?

• A question: is the GH4 available for sale in Moscow, and how do prices compare with the 20% VAT added in Europe?

• is the GH4 available for sale in Moscow, and how do prices compare with the 20% VAT added in Europe?

I think not yet, but can be wrong. Price is usually higher than EU.

• In Estonia body price is 1490€ - seems like I'm getting one too :)

• Wow, where? Here in Latvia it looks like about 1700€ and more.

• Got this 1490€ offer from https://www.digizone.ee/ and we also have an offer for 14-140mm kit with 2099€ which is bit pricey http://www.photopoint.ee/et/toode/40049/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gh4-14-140mm-kit-mu

• Has anyone bought this in the UK? Is it still limited to 30 mins when sold here?

• @belfryman yes it's still limited to 30 mins in the UK and anywhere in the EU unfortunately

• Is there any chance that a hack will be developed to go beyond the 30 mins limit? Is it hardwired into the body or part of the firmware?

• Is it hardwired into the body or part of the firmware?

It is region setting.

• @c_adams Thanks. Frustrating.

• Ok, goofy inquiry. Once every 30 times or so my GH4 will not turn on when I flip the on switch. I turn it back to off - and on again - it turns on fine. Works fine after that. But this is still happening even as recent as today. Anyone have this little worrisome quirk? (Wondering if I should have it replaced since it's so new... or what.) Maybe nothing...thought it would be at least smart to ask you guys.

Thanks in advance.