Personal View site logo
GH4 wishlist
  • 90 Replies sorted by
  • RAW in video. :)

• -lens cap which you can operate without taking it off camera

I don't understand how this could work on an intercahngeable lens camera.

• @inqb8tr

This is obviously lens stuff and nothing to do with GH4 body. I thought that with some lenses might work some kind of aperture blade-like system. It opens when you turn it and closes same way. I think it is a little silly to always put lens cap to pocket when shooting. It has been the same for decades.

Or it can even be integrated in lens and why not electric and automatic like in pocket cameras.

Thank you for studying my suggestions.

• Now this is just plain silly.

• Lens cap may also be like flower which opens when pressed and acts then like lens hood. This may be silly but world is not ready yet. Is it so disturbing to think differently. There will be new innovations like " why nobody thought that before?"

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/9786486758/hands-on-with-the-panono-ball-camera?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=mainmenu&utm_medium=text&ref=mainmenu

http://connect.dpreview.com/post/7728438172/first-impressions-review-samsung-galaxy-nx-android-camera?page=5

That lens cap thing is something between reality and humor but who knows what will happen. It seems that people are very happy with their gear because there is so little interest for improvements.

• I'd settle for panasonic just biting the bullet and paying the extra EU tax for it to be classed as a camcorder! Thus no 30 min PAL restriction

• ill raise the question again, how much more will you be willing to pay for an integrated flower lens cap on say something similar to the 12-35mm lens?

add to that in your last reply how much will you be willing to pay for R&D and implementation of your easy firmware features? sure you can ask and have it all but will you pay for it?

• Arent you too much stucked with this flower thing? Ok it was bad example of creativeness.

iPhone and iPad has thousands of add-on features. How much we must pay for those? Does those features increase sells?

Magic Lantern team has made very innovative stuff and for free. How is it so hard for big camera brands to make minor improvements to camera models.

For example Finlands national pride Nokia thought the same way than many of big camera brands. And what they get. Innovative phone makers destroyed Nokia who thought nobody wants new fancy features. Camera makers is now in the same situations. Samsumg or LG or chinese will win this competition if there will be same cameras year after year.

Oh, I forgot answer to question. I think chinese would do that lens cap for few dollars. mayby I can buy it for 20$. In fact there is a chinese automatic lens cap for 20mm lens. I have seen it somewhere in net but I cant remember where. Besides I made same kind myself some time ago.

• I appreciate that you have shared list of the features on your imaginative camera, but I feel that this is counter productive, and that it generally does not do good to the possibility that someone in big companies listens to users wishes. Why? I don't get sometimes are you joking or serious, are you in search of a professional or a housewife camera (apologies to great photographers among housewives), and list is too long and over crowded with useless details and does not even mention raw. I probably sound too harsh, but this does not do good to the community here, yeah we can have fun with it, true, but still... Here is my opinion on some of the items.

-exposure values programmable to C1,2,3

You mean like you have f/5.6 on C1 and everything else the same on C2 only f/2 e.g. That would be a waste of a good C space, wouldn't it?

-manual settings for creative mode

Are there not already on GH2? Maybe I don't understand which settings you refer to.

-no more useless buttons

Like what?

-more songs to slideshow and simple crossfade option

PRO feature! That one would be great thing for boring dailies.

-if using slower than 1/25s shutter in video camera should go automatically to proper manual mode maybe with warning

I don't get this one.

-cinematic look option button: (24P 1/48 ss, greenish/brownish color cast)

Pointless and amateurish. You want control, not hipsters preset.

-red led with text VIDEO because every subject is always asking are you taking a photo or shooting video.

Designers nightmare.

-lens cap which you can operate without taking it off camera

Yeah, but no filters and matteboxes then. Caps are cheap, don't break and don't need power or complex mechanisms, replaceable, allow modular things to be added on, all in all, lens caps are one of the designs that will hopefully outlive every other thing on the camera.

-small directional add-on mono microphone which sound you can mix with stereo mike.

Phasing.

• small directional add-on mono microphone which sound you can mix with stereo mike.

Btw, Chinese are making such mikes :-) As I remember on of the brands also make such things.

• Btw, Chinese are making such mikes :-) As I remember on of the brands also make such things.

Oh he meant like hyper cardioid mics that you attach to a hot shoe, I understood it totally differently. OK, that might work. :)

• Oh he meant like hyper cardioid mics that you attach to a hot shoe, I understood it totally differently. OK, that might work. :)

He mean shotgun with addition stereo mikes on the sides and ability to mix shotgun signal into them.

• I thought that he meant shotgun mono mics that you can mix with stereo in camera mic.

• @inqb8tr

Wow, finally some real comments and considerations. I appreciate this.

Are we all pros here. Is GH3 or GH4 a professional camera? Are these "silly" suggestions harming our serious goals or this community. I think that photographing and videoing is still a hobby for most of us. Just for fun or own pleasure. I also think that housewifes and soccermoms buy more GH3s than professionals.

Let me explain my suggestions:

-exposure values programmable to C1,2,3

You mean like you have f/5.6 on C1 and everything else the same on C2 only f/2 e.g. That would be a waste of a good C space, wouldn't it?

I mean that if one wants to shoot video in movie modes S-mode with 1/50s it will be handy if it is there always in C1. Now there is (1/1000s or something) if you take one photo between videos. It is inconvenient to turn wheel lots of steps always when changing modes. My front wheel is already a bit broken

-manual settings for creative mode

Are there not already on GH2? Maybe I don't understand which settings you refer to.

I mean those art filters like High Dynamic or specular higlights. It is now automatic and chooses stupid exp values in video.

-no more useless buttons

Like what?

I have not found any use of EV-button on top row. Wheels controls always EV. Better if that button would be Fn8. But not helping much because one cant program favourite menu items to them. I have 6 most wanted menu item and none can be assigned to Fn??? 1.picture control 2.Autofocus control in video 3.Wind cut filter 4.mode change in video PASM 5.Mic level adjust 6. Audio meters

-more songs to slideshow and simple crossfade option

PRO feature! That one would be great thing for boring dailies.

I was in long train trip after vacation and I watched slideshow of my vacation photos with headphones. It was boring to listen that one song with slideshow. Option to load own music from SD would be nice. (I had no other music devices). There are in GH3 weird effects in slideshow but no simple crossfade option. I can live without these but whats wrong with improvements. I understand that pros dont listen music during work.

-if using slower than 1/25s shutter in video camera should go automatically to proper manual mode maybe with warning

I don't get this one.

You can shoot with shutter lower than 1/25s. For example northern lights or night scenes lets say 1/4s ss. But you need complicated procedure of switching everything to manual and you must use menus and switches. In rapid situation that is tricky. You can waste one of C-modes but there are already too few of them. Why not have automatic night mode which goes automatically back to normal if you turn ss back to 1/25s or bigger.

-cinematic look option button: (24P 1/48 ss, greenish/brownish color cast)

Pointless and amateurish. You want control, not hipsters preset.

THAT WAS A JOKE

-red led with text VIDEO because every subject is always asking are you taking a photo or shooting video.

Designers nightmare.

But camera operators pleasure. Of course it would be menu switchable.

-lens cap which you can operate without taking it off camera

Yeah, but no filters and matteboxes then. Caps are cheap, don't break and don't need power or complex mechanisms, replaceable, allow modular things to be added on, all in all, lens caps are one of the designs that will hopefully outlive every other thing on the camera.**

This could be optional with original. It is not big deal but I am a little frustrated with this old design. It is not even secure enough. It opens too easy and is hard to get back especially with gloves when lens hood is on. I have found many times lens cap off the camera when in bag. I made some improvement since and now it stays.

-small directional add-on mono microphone which sound you can mix with stereo mike.

Phasing.

Would it be nice to capture talking heads with atmospheric sound without external recorders and post processing.

These suggestions are not coming from pointless dreams. I have been in situations when I have experienced frustration or got usefull improvement ideas in real word use of GH3.

Thank you if you have read this far :)

• @Vesku One more thing, it is most likely not gonna be named GH4, not in Japan these days. I'd be surprised.

• @inqb8tr

Thank you very much. That is very important and relevant thing considering this topic. Are you disapointed if it still somehow will be GH4k. There are in Japan Playstation 4, Grand turismo 4, Nikon D4...

Have you nothing to say about my long reply explaining to you what you wondered? How polite is that?

• No fours in G cameras by now.

Sorry, I just wanted to add this to my post. Don't get mad ;) My lack of time now does not represent my attitude to your reply :)

• My wish: 4K, H265, under a grand.

• an open sourced camera seems to be the go if you want it to use a similar app based eco system. the more i read your list the more i see it as just a personal preference list which is fair enough. the custom shutter speed per C setting would be something I would appreciate.

I'm with DrDave for a more useful wishlist for my intended use.

• 422 color sampling and 4 channel audio! maybe over aes/ebu or combined minijack plus the additional xlr plugs.

• My hope for a future camera:

All features of a G6 and GH3 combined.

Plus....

1080P at 120fps

4:2:2

ProRes

Dual SD card slot that can be recorded to simultaneously (for a back up).

No time limit out of the box.

Both NTSC/PAL.

50 ISO.

1080 resolution screen.

Not quite as unrealistic all the wishes of the original poster.... but even so, I know I have no hope of seeing all these happen in the next GH release! Or even most of them.

But I can have fun dreaming anyway :-)

• I'm dreaming of 10bit 422, a broadcast ready 50mbps codec like the canon xf305, with a 4k upgrade at some time in the future. It would be nice if the body only was under a grand gbp

• My wishes for this camera are first and foremost, good sensor, multi aspect like in Gh2. Good moire control, decent DR. Good robust intra codec, prores 422 ideally. Weather proof, solid built. 4k is obviously something that is here, but I'd rather see 2k or 2.5k in a good robust package overall than supercompressed 4k. Flat log-like profile.

Custom settings or more presets for aspect ratio for video (1.33:1 e.g) is a dream isn't it?

• Ok I'll bite. I'd really love a custom sensor-windowing function. For example , a sensor window for s16, for reg 16, for s8. And then a custom setting where the profile could be set by the user. Get to work programmers ! And ....all of the above !

• I pretty much want a C300 but better and M4/3.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions