Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @CRFilms yes, my idea is to splice. I'm also a bit hesitant with DIY powering solutions. Afraid of frying something. But I already built a mount for Canon batteries for my external monitor using just a battery plate adapter, a plug and some velcro and it works beautifully, so what the hell, I'm gonna try.

m3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 134K
  • @CRFilms @flablo I have the switronix Dtap to bmpc cable and the Tilta v mount. Works perfectly together. One thing to note is if you use the Tilta bmpc rig as well, you'll have to have a right angle power adapter for the pocket as the hdmi lock semi blocks access to the power port. The right angle head on the switronix takes care of that.

• @vapourtrail great. Can you confirm the voltage output from your Tilta D-tap is marked as 14.8 V (like mine)? And it just goes directly to the Pocket without any need of voltage steppers. Better be sure and double check ...

• @flablo that Sony NP-F to V mount adapter I linked, it outputs 16.7v and the pocket takes it no prob. The Pocket will take between 12-20v according to specs. But if the amps on some 12v are too low it won't show as charging.

• Hey guys, I´ve just done some first tests with the Pocket. I´m amazed how it can be pushed in post. And that´s "only" ProRes. Cheers.

• @CRFilms thanks, yes I know, was just asking for confirmation since I have that same plate (but never used the D-tap output before)

• What's advantage of using Nikon 1-mount native lenses on BMPCC? Is a problem just with lack of active adaptor 1-mount to MFT? Crop factor is 2.7, so technically these lenses could be better resolution, even than MFT lenses. It's not cheap solution at all, good Nikon-1 primes cost like Noktons. But it could be good and sharp solution for wide lenses or zooms. Flange Distance: Nikon 1-mount 17 mm, C-mount 17.52 mm, MFT 19.25 mm. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Category_Mirrorless+System+Lenses&ci=17912&N=4196380428+4291315846

• The flange distance on the Nikon 1 system is 17mm and it's 19.25mm on Micro 4/3. The Nikon 1 system throat diameter seems to be 40mm from what I can find and micro 4/3 is about 38mm. As a result, building an adapter to allow Nikon 1 lenses on Micro 4/3 would most likely require glass to correct for infinity focus - and the small number of lenses available natively for Nikon 1 would make that a poor investment of time.

• Can somebody confirm that the 180 shutter angle with 24p motion problem got fixed with the latest firmware because i think that it still doesn't look right when shooting 23.98 with 180 but maybe i'm wrong?

• Fixed. It's in the statement about the firmware when you downloaded it.

• Fixed. I checked with a fan.

• Pretty fucking amazing work. You really pushed the camera, and it's great to see it perform under so many real-life variable lighting situations. I couldn't believe you got these results from the SLR Magic, which hasn't really appealed to me compared to the OLY 12mm, but you put it through it's paces and I'll now investigate further. Amazing that you kept the footage so steady using only the Hague. Did you use it on all your shots? And the one final question....what was your grading workflow? Did you use Resolve? FCPX or Premiere (or something else)? Any LUTS? The grading really shined! Bravo.

• Pretty fucking amazing work.

are you talking about the OSG video on vimeo? I felt sea-sick after not even a minute. Who cares about grading when your camera operating is that bad?

• Hello everybody. Is it possible for anybody to upload a single raw frame at 1600 asa 360 deg shutter angle (fps doesnt really matter) with the lens cap in position (black frame) please ? In my BMPCC I can see some, I wouldnt say "hot" pixels (not dead) but "hotter" than others. I wonder if this is normal. Thanx

• This is what I mean. If you try to "push" it a bit in PS, it will show white pixels... (I zipped it because it wont allow .dng file type to be uploaded...)

@makis - use file exchange services or dropbox.

• This is completely normal for the bmpcc. Unfortunately the cam does not map out hotpixels.

• Yes I know that. Blackmagic replaces cameras with hot pixels though. I'd like to have a black frame from another camera to compare and decide if its worth the trouble of arguing with them, waiting for the new one and so on... If anyone can upload one single black frame I'd be grateful.

• My BMPCC arrived a couple a days ago ( PV Deals) safe and sound. Shipping was really fast... The camera is great and I really enjoy shooting with it. Really makes difference from Ghx cameras for CC and post stuff. The video below is shot with BMPCC..

• @jobless very nice. was that raw or prores? I bet keying was a breeze either way.

• The talent was recorded in prores and the Bg in RAw... This was the test for next project so the light set up was really fast and not done really good, didn't have any light on chroma for example and the keying was easy. Just 2 clicks and done.. really impressed.

• Btw, in coming days we'll have Christmas contest for BMPCC owners with good prize.

• @makis you said that you got white pixels when you pushed it with PS. In my tests the Adobe Camera Raw converter (I'm using CS6) is messing some things up, especially with color - it only shows up when you push very hard. I am getting offset colors (e.g. red) with ACR when I push the image hard, almost like in the old VHS days when moving objects had that color ghosting. It is not there with DaVinci resolve. Hence i would propose to use Resolve before jumping to any conclusions. Anybody else noticed that?

• New cards added for RAW: PNY Elite Performance 32 GB 90MB/s SD card http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/detail/faqs?sid=27541&pid=34849&os=win