Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • HOWEVER, beware that most low cost HDMI monitors won't work because they only do 1080i25/30, while the BMPCC outputs a true 24p, 25p or 30p.

I do not know how shitty monitor need to be to not support 24p/25p and 30p.

• Right....I figured most monitors (even low cost) could easily fit the bill. But @Ahbleza's caveat gave me pause. I think he made a good point but it might be moot with most everything out there "these days."

• Marshall (5.6")V-lcd51 works.

• I can definitely confirm the Pocket Cam get's hot just being on with the lens cap on with a black screen vs recording. It looks like they're using the metal body as part of the heat sink to try and keep it cool. It definitely seems you need a cage or grip just to be able to hand hold it for any length of time and the active cooling is what's making the batteries wear out fast.

I ordered this plus some NP-F batts yesterday so hopefully that will be a nice low cost power supply for the moment. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0CEDIE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now I just need a cheap cage and cheap monitor. I tried plugging it into my old Dynex 42" HDTV and it got a weird flicker a the bottom that wouldn't go away regardless of what fps.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Well, for one, the Seetec 5.6" is shitty enough not to work. Learned it the hard way…

But the H056 should work, since it looks identical to the one I found for my BMPCC now.

• it generates heat regardless if recording or not. I have no issues with it, hasn't shut down on me yet. It doesn't get unbearable to the point that I cannot hold it. maybe i have asbestos hands lol.

• Well, for one, the Seetec 5.6" is shitty enough not to work. Learned it the hard way…

Also check Seetec topic. He was known to glitch sometimes with PAL rates, it were cured by some buttons magic.

• Doesn't work with 24 or 30 fps either.

• Well, my Pocket justa arrived and I´m impressed how hot it gets. At least we can fry an egg into the wild ;o)

• We have Black Magic Pocket Camera rigs/cages day today with all good cages from all four top manufacturers :-) at http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/1029/catchit-deals-all-black-magic-pocket-camera-rigs-day

And, as usual, at best terms.

• So now you get the Movcam! :)

• So now you get the Movcam! :)

We have ALL of good makers BMPCC cages. Took some time and talks, but it happened.

• I'm using my BMPCC every day here in Trinidad in 30 degree C heat, and it hasn't skipped a beat. In summer, I used my BMCC in Austria in temperatures in the early 40s, and again no problems whatsoever. In both cases I am using a cage, which I think helps heat dissipation.

• I have watched many BMPCC raw footages introduced here and elsewhere and I have been wondering why there is often a cyan/brown color cast. I know that with raw one can color correct and get whatever color but I rarely see pure, natural and neutral colors in BMPCC clips. There are cyan shades in sky and shadows and brownish blacks. With non raw cameras and auto white balance result is often more "right" or neutral. And there are lots of CA and soft clips. BMPCC can shoot very good results but is it hard get "perfect" colors and results? I dont have BMPCC because it wont do 60P and the workload is too difficult to me. Am I wrong, my displays may have bad calibration. Have you noticed same things than I have?

• I think many people over work the correction in post, personally I have achieved really pleasing natural colours by exposing with care and then just opening my RAW footage in Da Vinci Resolve Lite v10 and saving in an appropriate delivery format, no LUTs no colour correction.

Here is a test I shot under awkward natural lighting last weekend, please ignore the dodgie camera work, the sound is from the internal mics on the camera.

Password = banks

• @Vesku I'll answer the soft footage question. This camera provides zero in camera sharpening. So you can say it "shoots soft". I for one like it and kind of tired of seeing razor sharp footage that can cut me through the screen :) In a few things I've shot I didn't raise the sharpening too much. It's a little pleasing to me. You can actually go pretty crazy in resolve if you want without problems, shooting raw of course. Just used the pocket with SLRs new 12mm on another feature and might be using it again as a Bcam next week for some splinter unit stuff. When I get permission, I'll release some stills and sharpen the shit out of em :) It'll be nice to show some still from a professional lit set by a DP and Gaffers. BTW, the stuff I shot with the 2.5k looks f#@*ing awesome!

• @vicharris Interesting point re Pocket having "zero sharpening". Do you know if GH2 (with fully manual non-electronically connected vintage glass) does "zero" sharpening when set at -2...or is -2 just the lowest amount of sharpening, but it's still some level of sharpening occuring in camera? Guess it's better to do it in post for max control.

• @matt_gh2

Yeah man, even when you turn down the sharpening, it's still doing all kinds of processing stuff before it puts it down on tape, so to speak. I think the GH3 is better at it in terms of reducing the sharpening when you turn it down but I could be wrong. Just going on what others have said. But yep, the GH2 still shoots sharper looking footage out of the box. I think most people are not understanding this with the Pocket.

And yep, I prefer full control in post these days though I'm am not happy with the pockets moire problem. It scares the shit out of me for paid shoots but for the stuff I've shot recently with it on set, the directors were not concerned at all. Solid clothes and pro lit sets.

• Yeah, Pocket seems to require full commitment through and including color correction/grading phase. Its a learning curve for many, but well worth it to get better images.

• True but I guess you can just let it assign the 709 color scheme and go with it. Kind of just looks like standard DSLR footage but probably fine for many people.

• Hi, I need to use my Tilta V-mount plate with the Pocket. Best solution is by using the D-Tap output of the rig, so basically I just need a D-Tap to power plug (I found the plug mm specs) cable. I found this already-made solution (which I'd prefer over a DIY, less risky) from Wooden Camera http://woodencamera.com/Blackmagic/New-Releases-BMC/D-Tap-to-Pocket.html but I find it quite expensive, and I think that a DIY solution would cost something around a few bucks. Isn't it just a matter of a cable connecting the D-Tap plug and Pocket plug? Am I missing something? EDIT: the Switronix cable is much cheaper. Anyway, I'm going to try the DIY solution

• @flablo you should be able to find some adapter that works. I bought these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0CEDIE/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D0HPTRO/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I had also bought this earlier to hack apart for a DIY splice, but it turns out the big end fit the D-Tap plug perfectly. http://www.ebay.com/itm/111130443488?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

• @CRFilms thanks, great hint and that D-tap cable is really cheap! Anyway, I think I'll try to mount an angled connector since the straight one scares me a bit :)

• @flablo unless you splice it, I don't think you'll find a D-Tap to Pocket cam that will have the correct small connector for cheap and angled.

I also bought this, but I'm hesitant to splice it together since the other one just plugged in. http://www.ebay.com/itm/131044939745?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

EDIT: That plus this could work: http://www.ebay.com/itm/D-Tap-Connector-Jack-Plug-fr-Rig-Power-Supply-light-V-mount-Anton-Bauer-Battery-/271221314269?pt=Camera_Cables_Cords&hash=item3f260cd2dd