Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @last_SHIFT Where did you buy SD cards? I've heard a lot of fakes are sold on Amazon by third-party sellers. I always order my SD cards from B&H to be certain.

• @markr041 Yes, formatted properly.

@matt_gh2 I bought them in China - I know I know, but I've been living here for 10 years and know all the gear shops. Will go back and swap out 2 more cards and see what happens.

All in all, what an Xmas bummer.

• RAW Video: Landing in Phoenix during sunset (and some train travel).

The purposes of this video:

1. To capture the changing light at sunset.

2. To test the new FAA rules about use of electronic devices at landing and takeoff.

3. To test for rolling shutter effects: do vertical lines bend?

Be sure to choose 1080p.

RAW video edited using Resolve Lite.

• @markr041

Interesting video. Moving scenery is a little soft but thats I guess normal. What was the shutter speed. I am so used to tack sharp moving video with GH3. Of cource that is not possible with youtube.

Sunset light (in reality) is yellowish and sky/shadows becomes greenish but is there still a little too much "green" we have talked so much?. Do you remember if this is the color you saw. Is it possible that BMPCC native "color world" is a little greenish?

• The moving scenery may be soft (from airplane) due to the fact that the focus was on the engine nacelle, and the dof was shallow. The train scenics in bright light at the end should be sharp. The BMPCC RAW has more resolution than the GH3, without artificial sharpening. I tried to match the golden sunset scene color to what I saw. None of the frame grabs I posted above have any greenish tint, and I do not see it in the last train scenic - but maybe it's my monitor. In resolve one can always pull down the green - it is visible on the scopes, so no excuse for tints. And the RAW time-lapse video I posted above is crystal clear, fully-saturated and untinted, what ever its other merits.

• @markr041

Yes indeed your screenshots and timelapse looks clean and neutral in my monitor. Maybe it was pollution in the air or in my eyes with your latest video.

• gorgeous stuff @vicharris

• @markr041 well, regarding colors it's all about personal taste. But many thanks for all the comments - it is from the feedback we all can learn! You said that in the scopes of Resolve it can be seen? I have to try that.

• I absofuckinglutely love this black beauty from Movcam - walnut grip, QR reversible handle...

001.png
    462 x 671 - 433K
    002.png
    394 x 603 - 311K
    003.png
    405 x 473 - 249K
  • @last_SHIFT

I am glad for you (btw we have it on deals), just keep it in appropriate topic made for MovCam gear.

• BMPCC RAW Video: Around the Friendship Hotel, Beijing in December

Visit to a Department Store, behind the scenes of a television adventure series shoot, exploring the hotel.

Edited in Resolve Lite.

108030p. Lumix 12-35mm f2.8 lens.

No ugly color cast.

• BMPCC RAW Video: Early Morning Shanghai December Stroll

Youtube version:

Select 1080p

Bicyclists, street food vendors, Christmas decorations, dancing women, working women and men, and, finally, morning school marching drill to marshal music and flag ceremony.

108030p. Lumix 12-35mm f2.8 lens.

Edited in resolve Lite.

• BMPCC RAW Video: Enjoying a Hong Kong Lake

Color, color, color: Children, flowers, birds, and more.

108030p. Lumix 12-35mm f2.8 lens. .8 ND filter.

Edited in Resolve Lite.

• Christmas with my BMPCC, Speedbooster and Sigma 18-35 1.8.

• nice grading, lovely family. (Get a stabilizer and kill that horrible moire sequence at 5:15)

• Thanks!.. Can live with the moire on a family vid.. Even though it is awful!!. Not much room for a stabiliser either.. But in hindsight a monopod at the least woukd have helped!

• "nice grading"

Are you kidding? The skin tones are those of zombies; there is no real color and an odd overall dark color cast. How is that appropriate for a happy family Christmas video? Another poorly "graded" video that looks the same as many posted from this camera, giving the impression that are all using some awful default LUT. I have never seen coloration like that in any film or television documentary; even apocalypse movies have more interesting grading. Perhaps I am missing some secret society of faux artistes? Really, what am I not seeing in the color?

• @markr041 I appreciate your comment and have to agree. This was my first pass where as you said I literally slapped on an LUT to add something to the video and it doesn't work. My regarded effort in fcp x now has strange flashing artifacts in random clips making it unuseable at the moment and I don't want to start editing the whole thing from scratch again. I am happy for comments good and bad!

• @markr041 taste is a personal matter.

I liked his video and to be honest up to now I denied myself a comment about your absolutely boring videos with featureless footage additionally killed by horrible sound :-P

• @mark041 You don't have to be a dick about it man, you didn't see anyone grilling you for all the obvious and overdone warp stabilizer applied to your recent videos (among other issues). Constructive criticism is one thing, straight up slagging other PV members is not very cool. It's true that a lot of people have a steep learning curve in grading footage from this camera. Tips would be the gentlemanly thing to do. For example: learn scopes and try to grade on a calibrated monitor, if possible. Use reference wipes and take stills with a DSLR during shoots for great looking reference material to try to match. Keep practicing and every once in a while go back to old grades to see if you can do them better.

@lmackreath Great coverage, a lovely family memory! I'm sure it will be cherished for years to come. I've found interior lighting to be the hardest to get looking natural. Outdoor is another story, much easier to get a nice natural, warm and saturated look.

• Bar the grade I feel my vid is a great record of a family occasion made with heart and love..it tells a story of that day for those on it too young to appreciate it right now.

• @lmackreath

Thank you for sharing your family Christmas moments.

I too want to comment colors of your video. I am again a little confused where this little green/brown cast comes with BMPCC videos. I wont believe that people buy this wonderful camera and then want to have colors a little like old paper photographs. Especially with family videos. There must be some issue with grading workflow because so many are getting results with same color errors or unneutral tonality. And almost always same look. It would be an incredible coincidence if so many had decided to use this "look". I dont want to criticise in negative manner. I just hope that my comment will help you or somebody.

I suggest to take a photo of same scene with proper camera and with auto white balance. That would be a sample of neutral grading of the scene. If you then want to cc to some "look" it is OK. I think that most people still want to shoot neutral rich colored videos with their BMPCC. I dont have BMPCC so I can not help with grading process.

I might know partly where this yellowish/greenish/brownish cast comes. In movies there is a certain film look. I think that movie projectors uses a little yellowish light compared to monitors and TVs. Many people has then adapted that look in their brains and when grading for cinematic look grade becomes too yellow. I see that yellow/green cast at TV when movies are shown and the older the worse. Some TVs has color profile "cinema" and again colors with that profile becomes yellowish. Some or actually many movies has own color world and there is often cyan/yellow/brown combinations.

This is maybe becoming too philosophic and of course every one can do whatever want with camera. I am just wondering....

• throwing stones, throwing stones gents.

Also @Vesku Not sure how many times different people have to tell you but it's all about grading here. I know you love the GH3 and think it's the best camera in the world and keep on bashing the pocket cam but it's because people actually have to learn how to grade the footage. It isn't a point and shoot GH3 or even GH2 where you get a colored pic right out of the box. We all get that you hate most of the stuff coming out of this camera but I'd suggest you go look at some of the stuff Kholi has shot as well as a few other people.

On average it takes me 5 nodes just to get the pic to what some might consider a good neutral grade but I'm sure colorists can do it much faster. I bet Shian can knock it out in 5 min tops.

And then lastly, maybe people are tired of the same damn dslr type colors we've seen for years and enjoy the look of S16 film and other old stocks.

• Like I said in my previous comment, this was a lazy grade which has the m31 lut slapped on it. It would not surprise me if a lot of people use this lut plus others from the Osiris pack to grade their log bmpcc footage.

The footage with the bmd film lut looks a lot different and does not have these color casts seen in a lot of videos.. But simply the colours from the scene I shot. The problem with the BMD film lut is that it's not a grading lut.. It just converts your log footage to 709 rec video., and that's what your footage looks like..Very video like.. Similar to the gh2 or mk2. The skill in grading is to on top of the initial lut to create a mood.. A feeling... An emotion that you want the footage to convey. Editing these days with the plugins available make it too easy for one to use Osiris.. Magic bullet looks..filmconvert..and with one click say " now my footage looks like film" and most of the time it simply doesn't. I am guilty of that clearly but am willing to learn and listen...

• @lmackreath I tested a Glidecam HD1000 which works pretty well with the BMPCC if you don't rig it up. As everybody will jump on brushless gimbals it should be available second hand for a good price quite soon. Worth a try but you will need to practice, practice & practice.