Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • This looks like the beginning of a beautiful friendship :-)

• wow that most recent nighttime test looks great.. hoping the C-RAW option will put it over the top in cinema-quality.

• So much for people saying it will suck in low light. I can't imagine myself ever needing more low light capability. I was never one for shooting in a black hole without any support lights so I think I'm pretty much good to go here. This with my set of SLR Lenses and an added Voight 17.f, makes me one little happy camper :)

• The problem is that in-camera corrected lenses like the 7-14 wil have a lot of distortion with BMPCC

• That new footage is definitely my favorite so far!

• Awesome! Looks great!

• lol @soundgh2 Thanks for that reality check.

• Realistically speaking I'm foreseeing me pissed on a beach in Bali pointing it at the sea and surfers and beer bottles, unlike the RAW crazy Canon gang imagining their forthcoming new Hi res feature - "Bush" - it's a camera it's new tech, it's interesting - erm that's really it, it aint going to make anyone "make stuff".

• For me the small size is only a suggestion of how you can use it and not a restriction! So yeah you can go Incognito and use pancakes with the BPC or you can slap a Cine Lens on it and rig it up for some serious shootin... it's all good. I love that kind of flexibility. In fact it's not too far off from the idea of a sensor in a small box concept. Only it's been flattened into the shape of a NEX and still has an LCD. Still really small and can be built up from there.

• @Ian_T Little bit of both. Many people want to use native MFT glass on this thing so that renders the booster useless of course. But yes, other manual glass would be good to use, like that tokina or maybe even the 12-24. I know some people have a problem with putting larger glass on this thing but I sure as hell don't. I'm not buying this for the size, I'm buying it for the picture it captures out of the box and if that means it turns into a mini rig, then I'm good with that :)

• @vicharris I’m not sure I follow. Are you saying that because Metabones delayed their Micro Four Thirds Speed Booster from April to the second half of 2013? If so I get it.

But, correct me if I’m wrong, if the BPC has an MFT mount and Metabones comes out with this MFT Speed Booster later this year (which is basically upon us) wouldn’t that work with all our manual lenses on the BPC? I believe it was discussed earlier in this thread.

With that said, and just to be clear, what I was talking about before is getting the “future” MFT Metabones adapter with this MFT mount BPC camera and bringing yourself right back into GH2/3 category FOV size wise. To me that makes the perfect combo to match up to your GH.

EDIT: I didn't realize it but the M 4/3 metabones adapter is out already. I just checked out Phil Bloom's test on the original BMCC.

• The Speed Booster would still help in both the lowlight and shallow DOF departments.

• Thanks for the wake up call, y'all :)

I'll stick to my original plan using the tokina 11-16 and a voigt 17.5. I guess Metabones or LensTurbo releases a Nikon G to m43 in the future.

• Standard set of primes for S16 would be something like 9.5, 12, 16, 25 (maybe a 35) and 50, so yes, for a film-like camera we're pretty much covered with the m43 glass that already exist and would also be covered with a booster for still lenses.

• Let's all take a step back for a second. The ONLY thing that is missing is the ultra-wide end and let's be real that's not something you need to have ALL THE TIME for EVERY SHOT!!! It all depends on what you shoot and those requirements, but this is being blown out of proportion.

The Lumix 7-14mm = 21-42mm and the Oly 9-18mm = 27-54mm on the BPC which isn't bad at all for a decent wide shot. Now if you need even wider perhaps you should look into an Anamorphic or just use a different camera for Ultra-wide shots. Every camera has it's strengths and purpose. I don't view the BPC as the best tool for low light or Ultra-wide landscapes, however, that leaves a BOATLOAD of other things this camera will be great at.

• @Ian_T Yes, you are missing something. They don't make a MFT to MFT speedbooster.

• Am I missing something?? Just get a Metabones adapter or the $200 Chinese equivalent and you'll be right back where you left off with the GH-2 size-wise. With that said you get 13 stops of Dynamic range and.....an actual 1080p RAW image. Hold on to your GH-3 if you want slow motion.

These Canon hacks (yes including the 5Dlll) all have issues with their image. They don't compare with the actual RAW stream (what you see in a still RAW image) because what we are seeing is what's supposed to be shown on an LCD screen. This is why we see jagged edges and fixed pattern noise (in certain shades of light) in some of the images.

My advice to anyone is this...if you already own a Canon (particularly the 5Dll/lll) then it might not be worth it to you. If you don't then it would be silly to pay for a camera in that dollar range and omit the BMCC/BMCCC or 4k cameras for what I see is a compromised image.

Yes...some people are getting great results when they are careful (like some of Squigs shots etc.) but.......... U get the point

• The 50D can't shoot 1080p raw and while the crop is only 1.6x instead of 3x, it's also limited to glass that can work on EF mount vs glass that can work on m43 (a 7mm rectilinear lens isn't too likely in other words).

• @oscillian No audio with the 50D.

• I'm having difficulties choosing between the BMPCC and a used Canon 50D. The Pocket Cam is stealthy and shoots in economical Prores on cards I already have (Sandisk 95), but the crop factor is x3 and I'm not shure about the low light capabilities. The 50D shoots RAW (Magic Lantern hack) with a APS-C sized sensor and looks pretty darn good. I can get one in mint condition with 13k shutter actuations (good for 100k) and a battery grip with three batteries for 600 USD. Should I go for it?

• Andrew seems to be posting up any old crap these days. Shame.

• @last_SHIFT +1

Online comments are pretty infuriating. The only example I've seen to date to make the 5D3 raw footage "sing" is James Miller's little piece. I like Andrew, but even he hasn't shot anything on par with his GH2 anamorphic pieces that attracted me to his site in the first place. The rest of what I've seen so far is mostly underwhelming, in concept and execution, for something generating so much froth and sticky shorts.

• Not going to lie, 3x crop is a bit of a concern for me, I'm just going to have to wait on reports/test videos from the first group of owners. Still excited though.

• After reading all the comments here for the 4th time, I preordered but decided to keep the GH3. I have enough AmEx points to pay for the BM. The thing I don't like about the BM is the same as for its big brother, no 60FPS.