Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @jimmykorea I assume that is a self portrait.

• Would anyone be interested in a Pocket Cam cage with wooden grips (Arri Rosette mounted) and LANC Record start/stop button integrated into the handle with recording light on/off in the button? Possibility of affordable build in the offing if numbers are sufficient.

• Would anyone be interested in a Pocket Cam cage with wooden grips (Arri Rosette mounted) and LANC Record start/stop button integrated into the handle? Possibility of affordable build in the offing if numbers are sufficient.

What you mean?

In fact Tilta has such thing, just for BMCC size, but it can be used for pocket cam. Plus, most probably BMCC mod come soon.

• @soundgh2 I think that might a pretty good idea for shooting handheld with primes. It would add some weight and steady it up more.

• The LANC probably will be optional to keep costs down and fitted in one version of the grips - but the cage will be closely formed to the cam keeping the dimensions similar but adding a little more stability and mounting options. Handles probably optional too ... all up for discussion - if anybody would like anything do chime up - the cage and CNC of it is the easy bit!

• @Brian202020 @Aria Thanks!

I have 2 GH2'S And a GH3 and I'm thinking of selling the GH3 and buying the BM.

If I thought for a second they'd really start delivery in July, I wouldn't think about any more.

• And my point about trying to make the pocket into a larger production cam is a false economy, it can be done, but why bother.

Your point is a reaction to aesthetics rather than an observance of the camera's actual performance. The design doesn't change what it can do. Put it inside a busted, gutted RED or build a bulky box around it if you're hung up on stuff that has nothing to do with getting the job done.

• @peternap, I think the BPC will be shipping sometime in August to be honest. I think they're probably much more prepared to meet deadlines this time. Usually once you've gone thru a process once you have a better idea of what it's gonna take to make things work.

There are TONS of existing parts that i'm looking at to fit to the BPC when I get it. The DSLR market as really expanded and the parts makers have all kinds of little parts that we can add to smaller cameras and build a VERY small rig with.

• @jimmykorea The thing is your point is not what I perceived from the original designers. BMD promoted the camera as not only one you can stick in your pocket, but also as a camera that can be rigged up. This was easily seen at NAB seeing their multiple rigs and Arri lenses attached to the Pocket Cam. Their point being, "You can make a small camera big but you can't make a big camera small." I can easily see the Pocket Cam rigged up as an A-cam. Its small size doesn't make it no less a capable A-cam. The excitement is its lossless cinemaDNG RAW and 13 stops of dynamic range. Prores 422 HQ ain't no slouch either. Want a crash cam or stealth mode, keep it simple. You need the flexibility of adding accessories, cinema lenses and rigs? This is what is unique about the Pocket Cinema Camera...is it's flexibility.

"My point was missed, I'm not against using any camera for anything. It's just why fight against the original designers purposes for each camera. Pocket seems the perfect B cam, low profile handheld doc shooter tool. But for more narrative rigged up set ups would seem obvious to get one of the larger cams. And my point about trying to make the pocket into a larger production cam is a false economy, it can be done, but why bother.

Like I said, each to their own."

• No fights, here.

• @PeterNap

An important point to keep in mind is the crop factor of the BMPC. The GH2 has a 2x crop and the BMPC has a 3x crop (relative to a full frame camera). So, for example, the 20mm Panasonic lens which has the equivalent angle of a 40mm full frame on the GH2, will have the angle of a 60mm full frame lens on the BMPC.

• I find it funny how mostly everyone would rag on a Nex camera's ergonomics (a photo camera) but not on the Pocket cam (which has worse layout). Personally I just find it a very odd decision to design a film making camera in a photo camera style body. A small box would of been better. Maybe that's the point...for people to not realize they're being filmed..or maybe its just goofy ergonomics.

I do like the look of the footage though. But I think I will skip.

I think the Digi Bolex hipsters should of worked with Blackmagic and made something great.

I like video cams with pistol grips. :-D

• I think the Digi Bolex hipsters should of worked with Blackmagic and made something great.

Looking at BM logistics and issues, may be hipsters gave few advices :-)

• I actually understand the ergonomics of the BPC more than the BV1. If you've ever been out and about and shot video with an iPhone then the BPC isn't going to be unfamiliar. It's so close to the size of a smartphone that it already has a bunch of stuff already made for iPhone type devices that will likely work great on the BPC. Little grips and steadicams etc.

The BPC can fit in just about any pocket especially with a pancake lens. There are going to be so many instances where a user can film with one of these and not draw ANY attention whatsoever. I can't wait to see how these things end up getting used.

As has already been said, then you can also Rig it up and make it even more functional as needed. Literally a little bit more than a Sensor in a flat box, but with a screen and controls. Extremely flexible.

• @Ralph_B Thanks Ralph!

• I am seriously considering getting this camera. I don't need anyone to tell me how good or bad it is, especially since it's not in anyone but JB's hands at the moment. Crop factor, 'softness' etc...give me a fucking break. Just about the funniest thing was a comment on some wannabe filmmaker's board criticizing JB's latest footage and saying why didn't he make the BMPCC sing like Luke Neuman and Andrew Reid did with the 5D3 RAW - LOL

• funniest thing was a comment on some wannabe filmmaker's board criticizing JB's latest footage and saying why didn't he make the BMPCC sing like Luke Neuman and Andrew Reid did with the 5D3 RAW

He just lacks their expirience :-)

• Another thing that I personally love is that its about the same size as my old Lumix point and shoot from 2005. I made my best candid videos with that - so small and portable that I was never self- conscious about just whipping it out everywhere and shooting ( pun intended) LOL

• After reading all the comments here for the 4th time, I preordered but decided to keep the GH3. I have enough AmEx points to pay for the BM. The thing I don't like about the BM is the same as for its big brother, no 60FPS.

• Not going to lie, 3x crop is a bit of a concern for me, I'm just going to have to wait on reports/test videos from the first group of owners. Still excited though.

• @last_SHIFT +1

Online comments are pretty infuriating. The only example I've seen to date to make the 5D3 raw footage "sing" is James Miller's little piece. I like Andrew, but even he hasn't shot anything on par with his GH2 anamorphic pieces that attracted me to his site in the first place. The rest of what I've seen so far is mostly underwhelming, in concept and execution, for something generating so much froth and sticky shorts.

• Andrew seems to be posting up any old crap these days. Shame.

• I'm having difficulties choosing between the BMPCC and a used Canon 50D. The Pocket Cam is stealthy and shoots in economical Prores on cards I already have (Sandisk 95), but the crop factor is x3 and I'm not shure about the low light capabilities. The 50D shoots RAW (Magic Lantern hack) with a APS-C sized sensor and looks pretty darn good. I can get one in mint condition with 13k shutter actuations (good for 100k) and a battery grip with three batteries for 600 USD. Should I go for it?

• @oscillian No audio with the 50D.

• The 50D can't shoot 1080p raw and while the crop is only 1.6x instead of 3x, it's also limited to glass that can work on EF mount vs glass that can work on m43 (a 7mm rectilinear lens isn't too likely in other words).