Personal View site logo
RAW makes obsolete all your skill
  • 287 Replies sorted by
  • @GravitateMediaGroup Check out strobist forum. You'd be bombarded. RAW processing is really not that special skill anymore.

• @GravitateMediaGroup you sir are a massive flame thrower. My respects

• My father is an old tech geek. I taught him Photoshop, he's playing with it and doing things he never done before but he's no graphist. I taught him photography, he bought a shiny reflex and making pictures like he never done before, but he's no photographer.

Simply put: new technology or tools don't "transform" anyone into somebody else. They are only more help for the people who know how to use it. End of story.

• @stonebat

Do you disagree that RAW is allowing an beginning photographer to cheat the average consumer into getting a real photographer?

• @GravitateMediaGroup I guess you didn't say that. But you shoud know it by now. Generalization based on limited input is usually a bad idea.

• In near future the best raw still camera will be one that shoot 16K video or more at 1000 fps or faster and will allow for choosing the lens as a filter and shutter as user determined value. I am going to revisit this thread then :-)

Of course there is no accounting for framing, lighting or vision. May be some plugins will fix that too. All ya nay sayers watch out ;-)

• I've heard there's a new gun that will be released soon. With this new weapon's technology ANYONE can be a real killer. The aiming and accuracy is way beyond anything made until now.

There's also talks about a new kitchen device coming out, with it ANYONE can be a cooking chef. It seems it handles ingredients quantities and even cooking temperature like we never seen before.

Oh it reminds me about this new plane they are concepting and soon to be released. It's a real step up for the way we can pilot airplanes. With it, ANYONE can be a damn fine pilot. The handling seems much easier and intuitive.

And don't forget about these new machines they are building for surgery. There some kind of robots-assisted devices with lots of screens and cool options. With it, ANYONE can be a surgeon. Soon you'll be able to make transplant to your own sister, right at home. Oh and don't forget to apply the brain surgery to yourself, a slight adjustment in the perception area seems necessary.

• For the 15th time. Raw doesn't make a person into a professional photographer.

Any reason people are assuming this is what I'm saying? Because it's not.

RAW can help to cheat.

• @burnetrhoads I doubt that.

You've been avoiding my question for a while now.

What is the reason for pushing RAW into the video world?

• @stonebat Did I say raw will make photographers obsolete?

"doubling your bitrates"

• (on second thought, done here. Bored now.)

• LoL. Apple released SDK for iPhone/iPad programming. Did it make programmers obsolete? Anybody can claim that they r programmers?

I suggest you watch Jiro Dreams of Sushi. Some people dedicate their lifetime to improve their skills. And they love it for lifetime.

• @burnetrhoades That is hilarious. Tell that to John Brawley or anybody at BMD that took part in developing it. 422 alone is 1 advantage.

• There is no argument being had here. Just conversation and "personal views". Folks are more than welcomed to disagree and share insight, just as one can choose to accept it. Most post as of yet have completely blown the whole conversation out of proportion or have simply misunderstood what I'm saying, and some have even twisted the topic around stating things that I've never said.

I'm not saying photography is dead, and I'm not saying photographers are obsolete. What I am saying, is technology is making it easier for ANYBODY to claim they are a photographer, whether it's good or bad.

• @GravitateMediaGroup I compared the GH2 to shooting the BMCC in ProRes mode. No question, it's a waste of the BMCC to shoot in that mode.

So words and design are lost on you.

• @GMG Never underestimate the power of SOOC jpegs.

• This reminds me of Spanish television. I'm inviting my mum here, she loves this kind of argumentative discussions, and she shoots photographs of birds with a Sony HX9v. She has lots of followers. And she'll love this and keep up with the topic. I'm out.

Vitaliy, with experiments careful you must be. The dark side can invade this place and that would be a shame...

• @burmetrhoades You compared the gh2 to BMCC, not me.

A 7d user may find it the better option.

Answer my question before you post another novel.

• @GravitateMediaGroup I know what you shot them to because you said so in your descriptions. DR isn't a picture quality "trump card", otherwise the 7D would clearly be a superior camera for shooting motion pictures than the GH2 and it clearly isn't.

Based on the specs "menu" the GH2 shouldn't be rated so comparably with high end cameras in blind taste-tests conducted for professional review. It accomplishes what other DSLRs, with better on-paper specs, with higher price tags, from actual professional product lines aren't in these cases. Almost universally with less DR than the other cameras its going up against. Have you learned nothing before buying your new toy?

Every published demonstration I've seen for the BMCC clearly shows lackluster overall image quality, not just technically, in the stuff that affects your naughty bits (or not), when used to shoot ProRes. It instantly turns it into a news gathering camera instead of a "Cinema Camera". None of it looked as good as some of the better non-hacked GH2 footage I've seen elsewhere online.

I'm sure it has its uses and for some customers it's the right choice. In those cases getting "cinematic" footage isn't a concern on the table.

Wedding videos come to mind.

• @ragnar No.....just no. Read the whole conversation again.

Never said RAW makes them good, just makes it easier to convince.

• Recently I gave 1000 monkeys each a point and shoot cam with Raw capability. By next weekend I expect all the monkeys to be Homo Sapiens.

• SInce there is no definition of pro, fortunately we don't need to worry about who is and who isn't. So as far as the example above, doesn't matter, no one really cares unless they are jealous. Yikes.

The photography market is very competitive, just like the market for piano players. There are musicians with a "doctorate" from Conservatories who can't get a job, after studying every day for basically 25 years.

So for example if you say, hey, photogs are being put out of business by ppl with an E-PL1 that they bought from Cameta for $150 that shoots RAW, well, that's the market. Everyone knows going into the market that the market can be really tough. 99 percent of the clients only have a vague idea anyway. They think big cameras are better.

My rule for myself is I ask, am I in the top five percent? If I can't look myself in the mirror and say that, I would probably start looking for a job. Of course, we can all be delusional. That's what friends are for, to say, dude, time to bag groceries for a few months. No problem, if it comes to that, so be it. Prefer not to.

• for fun, you can type "barbie orgy" in google images.

skip to about 3:25

riff raff would be another good example of somebody that doesn't really have much skill musically, but makes hundreds of thousands of dollars doing it. is he professional or not?

• I just seen a picture that was in an art gallery of a group of barbie dolls having an orgy.

Do you have a link to it online? :-)