Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
RAW makes obsolete all your skill
  • 287 Replies sorted by
  • (on second thought, done here. Bored now.)

"doubling your bitrates"

• @stonebat Did I say raw will make photographers obsolete?

• @burnetrhoads I doubt that.

You've been avoiding my question for a while now.

What is the reason for pushing RAW into the video world?

• For the 15th time. Raw doesn't make a person into a professional photographer.

Any reason people are assuming this is what I'm saying? Because it's not.

RAW can help to cheat.

• I've heard there's a new gun that will be released soon. With this new weapon's technology ANYONE can be a real killer. The aiming and accuracy is way beyond anything made until now.

There's also talks about a new kitchen device coming out, with it ANYONE can be a cooking chef. It seems it handles ingredients quantities and even cooking temperature like we never seen before.

Oh it reminds me about this new plane they are concepting and soon to be released. It's a real step up for the way we can pilot airplanes. With it, ANYONE can be a damn fine pilot. The handling seems much easier and intuitive.

And don't forget about these new machines they are building for surgery. There some kind of robots-assisted devices with lots of screens and cool options. With it, ANYONE can be a surgeon. Soon you'll be able to make transplant to your own sister, right at home. Oh and don't forget to apply the brain surgery to yourself, a slight adjustment in the perception area seems necessary.

• In near future the best raw still camera will be one that shoot 16K video or more at 1000 fps or faster and will allow for choosing the lens as a filter and shutter as user determined value. I am going to revisit this thread then :-)

Of course there is no accounting for framing, lighting or vision. May be some plugins will fix that too. All ya nay sayers watch out ;-)

• @GravitateMediaGroup I guess you didn't say that. But you shoud know it by now. Generalization based on limited input is usually a bad idea.

• @stonebat

Do you disagree that RAW is allowing an beginning photographer to cheat the average consumer into getting a real photographer?

• My father is an old tech geek. I taught him Photoshop, he's playing with it and doing things he never done before but he's no graphist. I taught him photography, he bought a shiny reflex and making pictures like he never done before, but he's no photographer.

Simply put: new technology or tools don't "transform" anyone into somebody else. They are only more help for the people who know how to use it. End of story.

• @GravitateMediaGroup you sir are a massive flame thrower. My respects

• @GravitateMediaGroup Check out strobist forum. You'd be bombarded. RAW processing is really not that special skill anymore.

• Holy hell y'all have lost it. Do you even read what I'm posting?

@stonebat

Raw helps an armature be something he's not. 2nd time telling you this

@endotoxic not sure what that means lol

• The invention of the tractor made farmers job easier. Could they do the job without? Sure, but why would they? It'll be quicker, do a better job, and give more production

• GravitateMediaGroup 6:53PM " For the 15th time. Raw doesn't make a person into a professional photographer. Any reason people are assuming this is what I'm saying? Because it's not." V

Very first post made by you:

With raw photography...ANYBODY can be a photographer. I have taken pictures that you would not be able to tell if I took them, or somebody with 30 years experience took them........thanks to raw. It's to the point, where I have taken probably 1000 pictures in the past 2 months (with my 6d), I've taken several more than that over the past 10 years. and for somebody to charge $2 or $3k to be a photographer is a joke. Almost to where I feel like i'm in the wrong field. lol

• @spacewig

Notice photographer and pro photographer are in different context

although I admire your attempt at being a private investigator, this would have been thrown out in a court of law ; )

• People who accomplished great things before ever having "years of experience" I wonder what they would have done if they were told "you don't have years of experience, your not professional enough yet" http://www.totalfilm.com/features/18-youngest-film-directors

• how many people posting on this topic own a BMCC (or any other RAW video camera), have a preorder, or plan on buying a camera down that road that can shoot raw?

if the answer is Yes for you, would you mind telling me why you feel the need to have that ability?

• I don't need my cameras, they are the cameras I wish to use. And if you really want to know why anyone wants raw in a video cam, it is to make better video plus fixing the WB in case it is totally messed up.

Let's say you are shooting an event, and the light color changes. Happens all the time. Raw allows you great latitude to fix that footage. Let's say the sun suddenly pops in through the window, well, you not only can change the color temp but also retrieve some of those superwhites.

Anyway, when you have accomplished great things, put them on YouTube and we will forget about this thread, pull out the popcorn and watch the show. Most people who accomplish great things don't argue over raw, but you could be the first.

PS parsing the "pro" photographer line, no one believes that.

• @drdave

I have no idea what "I don't need my cameras, they are the cameras I wish to use" means.

• It's like golf. You reach into the bag, and select the one you wish to use. All of these items are ridiculously cheap, just buy them and try them out. Then sell what you don't use on eBay. Keep a dozen or so for big productions.

• "for somebody to charge $2 or $3k to be a photographer is a joke"

This whole thread boils down to money. It sounds to me like you under charge for whatever it is that you do - or your charges have been forced down. I know people that have gone out and undercut quotes to win work. All gone in 18 months - it's an unsustainable business model. You can deny this all you like online, say it's not true.... but deep down we all know it is the truth. Looking at all your posts here it becomes very obvious, and your reply to this will only add to that.

My stills/cine full day rate is $2,600.00 AUD half day $1,800.00 AUD .....no 'joke'

• I like your "let me get the last word" tactic, the part about me responding.

I don't HAVE to accept the job if somebody doesn't want to pay my asking price. Being the shape that the economy is in, I will be flexible and work within their budget if it was say..a friend of a friend type of thing.

Do you mind sharing or linking some of your photography that someone has paid $1500+ for. It's not that I don't believe you, but I have the right to call your bluff to see the truth behind it. Or your website, I may need a good photographer one of these days since I'm not capable according to some of the comments. Lol

• Why do we want raw in video world?

Because when you shot film you had this thing called Telecine, or Color Timing - where you would grade your footage.

Raw is like shooting a Digital Negative.

You actually capture more information with which to work in the "darkroom" of video - or in stills case Lightroom.

Is it cheating to print a film negative in a darkroom? Or do you do contact prints only, or only shoot slide film?

Again - it comes down to having

MORE CONTROL

Masters know how to use MORE CONTROL (aka RAW) to their advantage.

Amateurs or people IN A HURRY probably prefer JPEG (or compressed video codecs that already have a look baked in)

I think the thing you are railing against is that with control, one can manipulate the image into your desired vision.

That's what we do as camera people. Bend matter/light/time/etc. to tell a story.

Hopefully you are learning more about culture, technology and art from reading some of the responses here - as there have been many intelligent posts about your quandary.

• By the way - in response to your question - I've been using RAW video for years thanks to RED, and yes I have the BMCC, and yes it is a BRILLIANT CAMERA. And I have also been using RAW in stills cameras for years.