Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
RAW makes obsolete all your skill
  • 287 Replies sorted by
  • just to make it clear to everyone, the topic title was supposed tobe "RAW has killed the "Photographer" or something along those lines. because like I said earlier, I know REAL photographers that have got out of the business because everybody and their brother has a digital camera.

i'm not saying that RAW makes a person a photographer, but it enables/encourages them to pretend to be a photographer.

• No such thing as perfect or even good framing? It's getting really hard not to just be mean to you now, GMG. You're another example of someone who doesn't even know what they don't know. The problem is your ignorance is aggressive, which is borderline stupid. You can do something about being ignorant. Stupid is a bigger deal.

The real problem here is you need to educate yourself. I can only assume this is the ultimate result of the post Reagan-era education system completely gutting Art and Humanities studies in the public school system. The stuff you're saying is completely wrong but it puts everything else I've observed into perspective now.

Until then, whatever success you might have, whatever images you take that aren't completely hideous, will be through accident. You won't even recognize what's right about them. It's obvious you don't understand composition, or typography or any number of other design elements...what's worse is you don't value the principles that go into making things "right". The basic principles of design cross all cultures (revealing universal truths), like music. To subvert them you must first understand them. Subversion through ignorance is just sloppy, random works and unworthy of any discussion. They are the noise of mediocrity that permeates modern culture with access to all kinds of "things".

Forget learning more about photography and cinematography, you need to learn about design. That will improve all other aspects of your work and enrich your life.

• @burnetrhoades

oh, I don't have to. I shoot RAW hahahahaha

• I think there's a typo in the title of this thread, fix below:

RAW makes obsolete all your skull

• can anybody explain the importance of RAW being adapted to video?

• @spacewig yeah, definately a typo :)

@BurnetRhoades

Very well said. Unfortunately, as you see, it doesn't reach him. Maybe it's time to close this thread before the guy get's even more attention...

• Maybe it's time to close this thread before the guy get's even more attention...

No, I want to set new time record for the topic to reach 1K posts. :-)

• No, I want to set new time record for the topic to reach 1K posts. :-)

:)

• can anybody explain the importance of RAW being adapted to video?

That's funny, I remember seeing the last couple clips you uploaded where shot ProRes. I couldn't help wondering to myself, "why is this kid shooting ProRes that doesn't look any better, worse in some cases, than hacked GH2 footage when he's got a RAW camera?"

• There is no definition of "pro". Certainly someone who makes all their money doing art shows, has no day job, doesn't do weddings, doesn't do corporate, magazines, etc, is a very rare and probably very, very skilled photographer or videographer. Maybe they just have a patron. But that doesn't make them a "pro" and the person who does family portraits a mid-level hack, and it doesn't make the person who does the soap commercials an artist. No matter how you slice it, the respect of your peers is most of what a pro is, and you can't quantify that, can't define it. And there will always be people out on the fringe who have no respect who will surprise everyone. The soap guy might say, I love soap. Soap is art. http://www.thenovastudio.com/images/david_transparent_soap_hand.jpg

• @burnetrhoades so answer the question.... and you aren't seeing the original clip via youtube, or knowing what format I exported to.

I shot some clips in prores....because I CAN. And no, the GH2 doesn't quite have the same DR as a BMCC shooting prores.

• @drdave

i fully understand. I just seen a picture that was in an art gallery of a group of barbie dolls having an orgy.

• I just seen a picture that was in an art gallery of a group of barbie dolls having an orgy.

Do you have a link to it online? :-)

• for fun, you can type "barbie orgy" in google images.

skip to about 3:25

riff raff would be another good example of somebody that doesn't really have much skill musically, but makes hundreds of thousands of dollars doing it. is he professional or not?

• SInce there is no definition of pro, fortunately we don't need to worry about who is and who isn't. So as far as the example above, doesn't matter, no one really cares unless they are jealous. Yikes.

The photography market is very competitive, just like the market for piano players. There are musicians with a "doctorate" from Conservatories who can't get a job, after studying every day for basically 25 years.

So for example if you say, hey, photogs are being put out of business by ppl with an E-PL1 that they bought from Cameta for $150 that shoots RAW, well, that's the market. Everyone knows going into the market that the market can be really tough. 99 percent of the clients only have a vague idea anyway. They think big cameras are better.

My rule for myself is I ask, am I in the top five percent? If I can't look myself in the mirror and say that, I would probably start looking for a job. Of course, we can all be delusional. That's what friends are for, to say, dude, time to bag groceries for a few months. No problem, if it comes to that, so be it. Prefer not to.

• Recently I gave 1000 monkeys each a point and shoot cam with Raw capability. By next weekend I expect all the monkeys to be Homo Sapiens.

• @ragnar No.....just no. Read the whole conversation again.

Never said RAW makes them good, just makes it easier to convince.

• @GravitateMediaGroup I know what you shot them to because you said so in your descriptions. DR isn't a picture quality "trump card", otherwise the 7D would clearly be a superior camera for shooting motion pictures than the GH2 and it clearly isn't.

Based on the specs "menu" the GH2 shouldn't be rated so comparably with high end cameras in blind taste-tests conducted for professional review. It accomplishes what other DSLRs, with better on-paper specs, with higher price tags, from actual professional product lines aren't in these cases. Almost universally with less DR than the other cameras its going up against. Have you learned nothing before buying your new toy?

Every published demonstration I've seen for the BMCC clearly shows lackluster overall image quality, not just technically, in the stuff that affects your naughty bits (or not), when used to shoot ProRes. It instantly turns it into a news gathering camera instead of a "Cinema Camera". None of it looked as good as some of the better non-hacked GH2 footage I've seen elsewhere online.

I'm sure it has its uses and for some customers it's the right choice. In those cases getting "cinematic" footage isn't a concern on the table.

Wedding videos come to mind.

• @burmetrhoades You compared the gh2 to BMCC, not me.

A 7d user may find it the better option.

Answer my question before you post another novel.

• This reminds me of Spanish television. I'm inviting my mum here, she loves this kind of argumentative discussions, and she shoots photographs of birds with a Sony HX9v. She has lots of followers. And she'll love this and keep up with the topic. I'm out.

Vitaliy, with experiments careful you must be. The dark side can invade this place and that would be a shame...

• @GMG Never underestimate the power of SOOC jpegs.

• @GravitateMediaGroup I compared the GH2 to shooting the BMCC in ProRes mode. No question, it's a waste of the BMCC to shoot in that mode.

So words and design are lost on you.

• There is no argument being had here. Just conversation and "personal views". Folks are more than welcomed to disagree and share insight, just as one can choose to accept it. Most post as of yet have completely blown the whole conversation out of proportion or have simply misunderstood what I'm saying, and some have even twisted the topic around stating things that I've never said.

I'm not saying photography is dead, and I'm not saying photographers are obsolete. What I am saying, is technology is making it easier for ANYBODY to claim they are a photographer, whether it's good or bad.

• @burnetrhoades That is hilarious. Tell that to John Brawley or anybody at BMD that took part in developing it. 422 alone is 1 advantage.

• LoL. Apple released SDK for iPhone/iPad programming. Did it make programmers obsolete? Anybody can claim that they r programmers?

I suggest you watch Jiro Dreams of Sushi. Some people dedicate their lifetime to improve their skills. And they love it for lifetime.