Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
RAW makes obsolete all your skill
  • 287 Replies sorted by
  • Reminder to all for the 2nd or 3rd time: the title of the topic is in no way, shape, or form a direct quote of anything I said. So...find something else to "assume."

• @stonebat Get all the goosebumps you want, those are not my words.

@rockroadpix In most ways, it is. You know, the idea of amateurs charging $3k for 3 hours worth of work because RAW opened the door for them. And yeah, the fine folks of P-V won't be fooled by an amateur. But a woman getting married in desperate need of a photographer would be....duh a

RAW for photos and video will of course make life easier for everyone. You all are waiting to sink your teeth into the BMCC for the EXACT reasons amateur photographers have taken advantage. Less required skill, quicker prep, less concern with WB. Although, if you think you are going to shoot in low light with the BMCC and boost the exposure in post, better think twice about trying to cheat that.

• @gravitatemediagroup: my quote or post was not off topic. You have to think in bigger patterns: On a more abstract level you said that technical novelties like raw would make the skill package a thing of the past. While my post contradicts (while at the same time enriches the discussion by a cordial quote) yours by stating that the technical aspect (good camera) does just play a secondary role. Just like in dialectics and philosophical disussion, just replace terms with parameters and see if the equation is right.

Good night and good luck!

• Good people are really trying to help you open your mind.

The best post in this thread was made by burnetrhoades on page 2, the one with the smashing family portraits. It succinctly encapsulates the sentiment most people who disagree with GMG are trying to express in the form of a hidden question. MGM's reply to that post makes abundantly clear the futility of this effort since the core issue exists not within the bounds of rational faculties but somewhere much more complex: Taste.

• "like them, hate them, I still stand by what I say of photography is a joke"

Yeah, this still gets me.

• @GravitateMediaGroup

Well the thread's subject title says it all, "RAW makes obsolete all your skill."

Each time I see the title, it gives me goose bump. I don't really care about "professional" this "professional" that or RAW or not. Yes it's just your opinion... but your closed mind is giving me the creeps. Good people are really trying to help you open your mind.

• @GravitateMediaGroup

LOL. yep, but my words you cited have something before them.

• @GravitateMediaGroup - I think you would be better served by saying "Mediocre photographers are convincing people with little knowledge that they are professional with the help of technology." A fool and his money are soon parted, or however that goes...

As to why RAW for video? I have a BMCC on order. I came from the commercial world of shooting mostly 35mm, I like the look of the RAW out of the BMCC. I like that I can change a scene to a certain look if the budget does not include enough $ for a grip truck full of Deep Straw. In other words, I mostly agree with @bannedindv . I look to RAW to help make lighting decisions a little easier on set. I have never held to the prayer that image can be fixed in post. Sometimes, it cannot and you are screwed. I've worked enough to have seen it. I'm willing to bet that you aren't just pointing and shooting your BMCC and getting Vittorio Storaro images, now are you? I looked at your pictures. Some are nice, some are ok. I wouldn't guess that you're a high $ photog from them. You have claimed to have been shooting video for the better part of your 26/27 years now. (Can't remember that thread, whatever) I would hope that you could frame a shot at this point. There, you already have a leg up on someone that got a D700 a year ago. When I am looking at good photography, I expect for some emotion to be elicited as I view. To me, pretty pictures are just pretty pictures. Yeah, some people just like pretty pictures with colors and such, but I have never been one for that. Firing away with little knowledge of what makes a good photo, you can sometimes find a nugget and clean it up, but they are rare...

• I'm just saying.

I'm not sure what points are still trying to be made? This whole topic is really a matter of opinion.

Mediocre photographers are convincing people that they are professional with the help of technology.

It is something you either agree with or disagree with. It is a VERY simple thing to understand.

and like you said

Right now it is pointless to countinue discussion.

• Your quote is off topic.

Last time I checked you are not moderator :-)

• @mirrorkisser

I don't care what he says. A GREAT photographer can shoot barefoot, in the rain, cigarette in mouth, and a pet monkey on his shoulder.

This conversation will have no end.

Either understand what I'm saying or don't say anything at all.

Your quote is off topic.

• @gravitatemediagroup:

this is a line by sebastiao salagado, one of the most famous and best photographers of the past 40 years: for a photographer good shoes are more important than a good camera!

I really like this quote. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/09/magazine/an-interview-with-sebastiao-salgado.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

• @vitaliy_kiselev

I leave the painting to my wife lol

Now that she has learned photoshop and illustrator decently, she would rather do a project with it. I think she likes ceramics the best, because when you are done making something, you really can set back with a physical object in your hand get some satisfaction from the thought & feeling that "I Created this with my own hands, every shape, every design, every curve" that's if you create without a wheel I guess. And although she isn't a professional with ceramics, she sure can make some pretty cool (convincing) stuff. ; )

• @GravitateMediaGroup

Get any good book about painting techniques and principles.

Right now it is pointless to countinue discussion.

P.S. Painting, btw, is a absolute raw :-)

• @stonebat I understand that a good photographer can take an amazing picture with the worst camera.

But could your average/regular so called photographer be able to pull it off without the help of RAW or photoshop?

With RAW the "average photographer" will continue to flood the industry everyday and get away with it because the development of technology helps them every year.

It's scary to think about when & if vector photo/video cameras hit the scene. There is already progress being made everyday for it, same with holographic technology. (Not holographic cameras, just other weird sci-fi stuff, but if anybody has seen rumors of holographic camera technology, please share)

• Check out Fuji X10 group photo http://www.flickr.com/groups/fuji_x10/

See the sheer number of photos in relatively short time period where "Members can post 2 things to the pool each day." Believe it or not most of the photos are not processed from RAW files because Fuji's X-Trans RAW support has been totally suck. The fact shocked many people, but more people are finding how good SOOC jpegs are. The newly released X20 is expected to improve image details by 30% by removing AA filter and improving processor & algorithm.

The latest Olympus m43 bodies generate 11MB jpeg from 16MP sensor. In-camera color noise reduction is fantastic. I could duplicate it from RAW file with the latest Lightroom or Photoshop, but each processing does take time. If anything can save me many man hours, I'll take it. I'm not against RAW processing though. I used to be all RAW shooter. But in-camera jpegs are getting better to the point where I don't use RAW unless I must.

• @Zmu Can I come AC or PA for you! :)

• Guys, the RAW 'revolution' is no different to every other development that has happened in the last 20 yrs. Every time a 'game-changer' happens a bunch of people shout "it's the end of the old world - now it's our time" But it never happens - the truth is I get a lot of gigs from direct clients that have been burnt by people who have a DSLR capable of quality 1080 footage. Advertising Agencies are savvy and don't go there - but they learnt the hard way. My 15 yo business has grown over the last 4yrs at an average 14% - I try to hire as young people as I can as assistants to pass on what I have learn't [and still learning] but 7 out the last 8 have been a disaster - people who think they know so don't listen - [too much internet has made everyone a director it seems] when you try and show them something they think "who do you think you are" this leads to MISTAKES every time. I earn my rates [and quote against Alexa & Red crews] using a Panasonic AG 102 and a GH2/Atomos Samurai/Voigtlander glass/Panasonic glass & Helios. I have an Isco54, 36 & LA7200. No RAW - no Arri - no Red - no $20K+ glass. This is about so much more than having RAW capable kit - it's about things like understanding the 3 prominent tiers in the market: Low - Mid & High end clients. There's more: interpreting a script, client relations, identifying agency/client expectations etc etc.... I'm sorry but I don't feel worried about my future. Every time I load my truck the fact is never lost how lucky I am to be paid for something that I am passionate about. ps I'm actually thinking of buying a Sony FS700 - not a BMCC - entry level high speed capture is going to have a greater return in the next 18months - 2 yrs than a $3K RAW kit - you see there's a another aspect: Marketplace Uniqueness. Happy RAW Shooting fellas

• RAW on my GH2 is a godsend. I would never go back to shooting without it. It captures so much more than what traditionally you would be able to. And when I get home and edit I have the ability to mold the picture to how I remember it. Film had tremendous range but RAW can and no doubt will go further. If the aim is to capture what you see then RAW wins every time in circumstances where highlights get blown out and shadows get starved of light. So where a traditional photographer might know to compensate with lighting or a reflector etc to get a shadow to fill, this isn't as necessary when the sensor records this information for you so you can bring it back if needed. It's a pretty complex subject because this doesn't even scratch the surface of composition.

But it goes further. The reason photographers and cinematographers rely on lights to recreate reality is because of the inherent limits of film/digital in comparison to the naked eye. Think of how one shoots an interior scene with an exterior view. You have to either limit the light coming in the window with ND or increase the level of light in the interior. That's the reason feature films have huge trucks packed with lights. But RAW is really starting to make a difference in this area and I believe that give a professional cinematographer the ability to shoot low light and a much greater Dynamic Range and they would jump at the chance. I remember one famous cinematographer whose name escapes me marvelling at the fact that you could if you wanted shoot with the light of the moon using a Nikon DSLR. He was excited by the prospect. Lighting then comes down to personality and mood because you aren't lighting just to achieve perceived reality, you are embellishing to create texture and enhance the design.

I also think that most amateurs would not know RAW or how best to use it. I know people who have expensive 7D's who rarely put it out of full auto mood. Which is a crying shame but a fact of life.

• It's nice to see some people are understanding what I'm trying to say.
    Which is....

There are pro photographers that are amazing at what they do (skill, experience, art, vision, and so on)

But with the help of technology, there are people who are calling themselves photographers, good or bad, paid or not. That even if there isn't anybody on P-V that respects their work, the average person would be convinced they they are a pretty good photographer.

There are people in this world that don't care about the "rules" of photography they just LOVE to take pictures, whether it's on a smart phone or a Canon 1DC. If it's TRULY a passion of theirs, and they are doing it for say a hobby, or to document something, I wouldn't dare say "YOU'RE NOT A REAL PHOTOGRAPHER!!"

I know a ton of skateboarders that are not professional, and can't do the same tricks that a professional could do....and at the end of the day, they are still "a skateboarder" make sense?

I'm not trying to make enemies from this topic, I still love you all the same as I did last week. (except BurnetRhoades aka Hollywood Graphics Guru turned P-V's local expert on everything lol)

• @bannedindv eh? Its sunday go have a beer mate :-D

• @bannedindv: you gave me my first smile today :) @mimirsan: yes its a true shame. I just hope that one day people will enjoy, recognise and value true quality again. I think everybody has his niche, some know about building remote control cars, some about building rockets and some about how to make a truly good sushi. They know that they need quality ingredients, passion, talent and knowledge to suceed in their materia. Still they think what others do can be learned by watching a youtube video for 10 minutes. I cant wait for the day when we will see self-declared brain-surgeons, who give you surgery for a 70% discount and a set of plastic pots.

I must say though, i enjoy this discussion and see that many others do, too. Thanks for initiating this @gravitatemediagroup.

• Oh Noes - everyone can be a photographer now that this came out:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownie_(camera)

I haven't seen one compelling thing to back up your "thesis" here.

Lets back up to the beginning.

What is your thesis? Next, make a case for it.

If your argument is that you are a purist and RAW makes your shooting skills obsolete - then what the fuck do you think people were doing in a darkroom for over 100 years? Processing and correction. It just took some more manual labor. Or did you think that all pictures came out of a Polaroid camera, or were processed by magical elves at Walmart?

Do you know what a thin negative and a thick negative are? If not I would like to propose a crowd sourcing based on $1 increments to send you to a community college photography class emphasizing shooting on the "everyone can do it" 35mm Nikon/canon/Olympus/Pentax/whatever SLRs and the darkroom process, as well as the history of photography.

I'd like it if the public paid for you to take an entire semester of photography and Cinema related classes at community college in New York, Chicago, or California - then get back to us with your view on RAW and what it means to your work.

If your argument is that you have to be a purist then please donate all of your camera equipment to Charity - and get some paint brushes. It's cheating to make a picture with the assistance of a lens and emulsion or sensor - you need to draw every image by hand.

Scratch that - we can't make any representational images because that's the work of god. Let's just go live in caves and keep womenfolk covered from head to toe.

Your lack of a clear mission statement here has turned me into a cynical fuck.

Politely - I'm going to ask how old are you, and where were you raised?

• @Mirrorkisser I agree and its a damn shame. But thats the way things are going. Saying that if you do it for living or not...theres no replacement for pure skill and talent. ;-)