Personal View site logo
Black Magic: Official $1,995 raw cinema camera topic, series 2
  • 1111 Replies sorted by
  • @Oedipax: You wrote: "whereas Resolve Lite (which is all you'd have renting the camera) is limited to 1080p for output." Why shouldn't the rental service give you the dongle too?

• @nomad I think you got your post mixed up?

• Sorry, corrected.

• stunning footage

• Holy Shit. Nice grade going on there!

• Amazing! Makes me want one even though I know I couldn't handle the workflow.

• Holy shit it looks like a Pirates of the Caribbean movie!!!!

• Yeah, I made the right choice!! Please start manufacturing the MFT version!!!

• Have you seen the rest of that guys work? He knows what the hell he's doing, that's for sure.

• Stunning footage and grade, but goddamn, I feel like that song has been used on every single video I've seen lately. Maybe I need to spend less time on vimeo..

• oh this is a DINAMIC RANGE!

• Uff that is a professional work, I'm so tyred of shaky bad exposed and horrible composed footage that this gave some new air to breed, and indeed this camera in proper hands and with enough time can do amazing things.

;)

• As anybody seen the video of the BMCC vs RED Scarlet? in the first clip of the BMCC there is a black dot in the middle of the sun. I will try and find the video again, but as anybody noticed this in any other videos or has this been discussed already?

• "gave some new air to breed"?

That right there, that's awesome. Photography and grading so good it made a dude horny.

• @jasonp It won't stop me from buying it, but it is silly. I'm hoping it was early builds because I really doubt a FW update will fix it.

• Wow.. The "Meet Me In Big Sur" flick really show of the benefits of 12bit raw. Lovely footage.

• The RED One had the same "black sun" issue in early firmware builds. They soon got over it, but until then it was easy to track and cover since it happened only in fully blown-out highlights.

• It would happen on bokeh from little lights as well, like x-mas lights when shooting with the Red One. Pictured: is it happening with just the bokeh on the highlights of a silver watch in this shot. Shot at ISO 800 with an Arri 650 and the Red 50-150 zoom @ T3.0 - see the little pinholes in the bokeh, but the highlights themselves would not turn black, just the bokeh center.

Screen Shot 2013-01-31 at 1.22.07 PM.png
    2044 x 1147 - 3M
  • That sounds bad!

• Why is it not evident in the two sunset vids that have been posted here? @johnbrawley - Was it removed in post? I don't really plan on shooting into the sun. The small light bokeh issue would give me pause for concern.

• I thought the Black Sun Spot issue was an example of overexposure.

• That is for bad overexposure like pointing at the sun. Never seen it in any other highlights like Christmas lights. Maybe if you are way overexposing some like arc welding Christmas lights or something...? I wouldn't worry.

• big sur does look great for a 3 grand camera. but i still feel like some footage looks tone mapped to me and some highlights still seem too hot. I think red dragon DR will be something well be craving in the near future.

• @cls105 I believe you are a bit hard on the camera :) Dragon sensor will most probably be much better dealing with higher DR, but the black magic cam is far from bad. What is to hot or not.. ? Even the f65 can make the sun look hot.

Regard tone mapping, I think "big sur" is a good example of how far you can take it with a flat profile and high bitrate output regardless what technic. It's hard to make it this clean with a compresed sub 10DR/ 8bit source. Not impossible, but hard.

• Firmware 1.2 has just been released:

• Canon lens F-stop display on the monitor.
    • ExFAT file system support for SSD media (for PC users).
    • SDI output now supports RP-188 timecode.
    • Timelapse interval recording.

Still waiting for my camera...