Personal View site logo
GH3 user reviews and opinions
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • @RatLabProductions

There is definitely a cadence issue with the (some?) GH3. The video pros at the dealer where I got mine tested it and they are as stumped as I am. They gave me a full refund and have sent off a report to Panasonic. I noticed the cadence problem in every recording mode but it was particularly bad in 50mbs at both 24fps and 30fps.

I am beginning to see some examples around the net that seem not to have the problem, which is a very good sign.

• @From_Paris

The GH2 is 1.8ish crop not 1.6.

I have found the GH3 LCD is much much better than the GH2. I never use the tiny EVF to focus but even then it is usable. I wouldn't call using any tiny EVF to be pro. If you want pro get a loupe for the great LCD or use an external monitor to check focus. That is pro.

The GH3 brings a lot more than the GH2. That is a fact. The things it brings might not be important to you but for many of us the improvements of the GH3 make it clearly a superior camera.

My findings on the 50mb IPB mode are much different. The motion looks very smooth to me and it resolves a much nicer image than the 72mb Intra. Although when and if the intra mode gets hacked it could be an amazing codec. We will see.

• Extracted images (no real editing) a documentary during filming (camera GH3).

GH3 25P / 50mbs / 1:50 Standard Profile -1 -1 -1 -1 Voigtlander 25mm Noktor 12mm HF Sanken Sennheiser capsule

Point of view for use documentary GH3 (capture in real time):

• 50 MB is not too bad. Overall the image is correct BUT the camera movements lack fluidity. It poses a lot of problems on some plans. In the end it is not pro at all.

• Intra 72 MB is not ready for professional use. Noise is everywhere. And it is ugly.

• 24 MB AVCHD is basically the same as the GH2. However, preferably the GH2 x1,6 vs GH3 x2.

• Screen GH3 very very bad outside + downright unusable viewfinder for precise focus (inside + outside) = some rushes necessarily go in the trash because of an update or a soft opening diaph impossible to establish accurately exterior condition bright. Ultimately not pro either.

• Sound: Return headset to use the GH3 for a potential TV broadcast provided that it adds a professional microphone.

• Headphone jack behind the screen! The screen can't rotate! This is absolutly so stupid!

• Actually, the GH3 brings nothing more than the GH2.

If I am happy with the purely esthetic images out of the camera, I prefer the overall tone of the GH2 images more beautiful in fact.

• @Jim, what codec did you use?

• Thanks Dusty. The GH3 was frozen solid and still worked perfectly. I can't believe I actually enjoyed the EVF in these conditions.

• @Jim, Just awesome! No other words than that! Keep em coming!

• Put the weather sealing to a test in a snowstorm that ended up dumping 2 feet at the farm. Filmed the horses this time and I was amazed at how useable the little EVF was. Like the Snowshoeing film, no way to pull focus in deep snow and gloves so I actually relied on AFS as well.

• Great tests, shian. I was honestly surprised at how well the GH3 did considering that you used All-I. I find the 50mbs results to be significantly better.

• Thank you for the great test, Shian. I just showed the test to the person sitting next to me at Starbucks and she just shrugged her shoulders and said 'they all look great.' So, at least some of us pixel peppers appreciate your test. :)

• @shian thanks again for putting all this work into such a nice test.

• 50M tests coming in part 4 which is redemption time for GH3 and 5D.

• WOW! I'm surprised a bit at which was the BMC, GH2 and GH3. I liked all 3 for different reasons, but I could easily live with either in the right situation. I really liked the GH3 and I thought it was the BMC! Go figure. Ungraded you could really see just how great the BMC is in terms of DR and detail. The GH2 and GH3 are no slouches in the detail department.

Another shock to me is that I liked the ALL-I 72 which I thought had a very filmic look. Not perfect in every aspect, but I didn't find it to be offensive in any way that would disqualify it for me. In the last test I was struck by how the actresses skin looked when she reached out and her arm was lit by the strong light. The way the GH3 handled that seemed really smooth and pleasing compared to the GH2 IMO. On the GH3 ALL-I 72 her arm and face looked creamy and not with an unnatural greenish tint. In fact I could still see the flush of blood just under the skin and the outlines of veins in her arm. It just looked more convincing to me. I'm an amateur at this so take that with a grain of salt.

• @stonebat I came to the same conclusions. Was reminded how much I hated skin tones on GH2 when I saw the ungraded footage. The GH3 looked great and the BMCC is in a different class all together and well worth it's price if your doing narrative work. I would have preferred to see the GH3 in 50mb IPB as that is so far the best looking codec in my opinion.

• From blind test my preference was : 1 cam1, 2 cam4, 3rd cam3. Hmm in order of decreasing price...

I was wrong from choosing the cams...So I give here my personal marks : BMC : 19/20; GH3 : 17/20; GH2 : 16/20 That is for the very first test of the lady face (only for these 3 cams)

• Wow Gh3 improved DR a lot. Skin tone looked nice, too. BMC seems worth the money. Gh2 the sharpest but the worst DR and the greenish skin tone in shadow. 5DMk3 the worst noise. I like Gh3.

• All-i at 72mbps isn't going to be brilliant. But when (and if) the quicktime .mov modes can be hacked its natural to expect an improvement...

• @konjow, I don't have that problem. The EVF is fine in low light.

@John_Farragut, I just got my GH3 and I like the 50Mbit quick time much more than the All-I.

• Interestingly, in the blind "taste" test, I was very biased towards the GH2, with the 5DMII and BMCC both coming in second pretty equal to each other. However, I understand that some settings on the GH3 were messed up, so I'll wait for the next couple tests before forming any strong opinions on that cam. I think this test does go to show just how good the little GH2 is in the right hands. I for one am sticking to my GH2 until I am able to move up to (an as-of-now-non-existant) S35mm RAW mirrorless camera with global shutter.

• I would think the 50Mbit QuickTime will give the best overall image in low light on the GH3. All-I might do good in good light with moving camera or action.

• @shian Does the 5D MKIII really give those vertical streaks at low iso and low light, or was something off in the settings?

• I got GH3 and 2 flipped around. All in all GH3 footage looked better than 2 for me.

And of course Blackmagic looks several miles ahead of the rest. REally strong tell at the end, GH3 looks over-sharpened in comparison and overall color depth lacks.

But so far if I were in the market for either a GH2 or 3 it looks like 3 would be the logical choice. Glad that people finally realized ALL-I is not good. Bigger number does not mean better footage.

• @shian Very informative comparison, appreciate your efforts... looking forward to Pt 3. Appears AVCHD is a no-brainer on the GH3, but I imagine the ALL-I codec could become formidable if it were hacked into the 150+ mbps range... I wonder if the intent by Panasonic was to throw hackers a bone and allow tweaking in true ALL-I space.

• thanks @shian. So no point to replace...