Personal View site logo
DaVinci Resolve 9
  • 179 Replies sorted by
  • @artiswar, it's definitely easier and that's probably how I'd end up doing it too. But doing it in the grading room does give you the ability to tweak the grain layer or even use a key to only apply it to parts of the image.

• @peaceonearth I rewrap them to MOVs.

• @nomad Thanks! Do you use Clipwrap? rewapping could solve my workflow thoughts

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4670/collecting-ideas-to-build-up-a-avchd-prores-resolve-workflow

Rewrapping is fast, it doesnt affect the files and if there is a need to work with ProRes I just can replace the H264 files in the Premiere's source directory with ProRes. Ich geb dir ein Bier aus ;-)

• I add grain with Final Cut Pro, rather than with Resolve . . . but that's because I use the free version of Resolve to grade my 16:9 anamorphic footage (1920x1080p, Resolve Lite's max resolution), then I export, desqueeze to 2560x1080 in FCP, and finally add the grain to "add" resolution to the stretched image. Gives a very nice 2.5k image ;)

• I have downloaded it from the BMD this morning and since then i am still trying to get it to run.

The problem is: Everything install nice but then when i run it and get the first menu: "Setup my Account" i can't insert any characters or even choose a picture. It acts really slow and doesnt let me insert any characters or create any account even. Even the "quit" button on the top left is not working.

any ideas?

I am on Windows 7 x64 Ultimate SP1

AMD X6

GTX 460 2GB

• For those of us that use avid, this is pretty cool news - a baselight grading plugin. Sorry if this is the wrong topic..

http://www.filmlight.ltd.uk/products/baselight/workflow_bl/editorial-avid-fcp.php

• DaVinci Resolve 9.0.4 for Mac, Windows and Linux released. New Lite versions also available.

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/ ,

9.0.4 offers a number of stability and performance improvements.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I'm getting a page not found error.

• Fremont, CA - January 18, 2013 – Blackmagic Design today announced a major release of DaVinci Resolve 9.1, the latest update to the world’s most advanced color correction tool. DaVinci Resolve 9.1 enables customers to use Resolve with Apple’s Macbook Retina technology, the world’s highest resolution notebook display. Retina based notebooks have quickly become one of the most popular tools in the post production world, and with 9.1, DaVinci Resolve will be able to run on the 15” Retina MacBook Pro at the best image quality setting.

DaVinci Resolve 9.1 also features support in XML for FCP X Audition, a popular feature in FCP X which provides the ability to stack and scroll through multiple shots in a single location in a timeline, allowing Resolve users to easily transfer files between the systems for a highly efficient workflow. Improvements in mixed frame rate XML integration will allow better workflows between Resolve, FCP X and Final Cut Pro 7 projects. DaVinci Resolve 9.1 also supports improvements for Avid AAF, Sony XAVC and AVC-Intra files and a number of audio and performance improvements.

The new DaVinci Resolve 9.1 also includes an exciting enhancement for the CinemaDNG file format, as used by cameras such as the Blackmagic Cinema Camera. DaVinci Resolve now includes a CinemaDNG Input Device Transform (IDT) for grading RAW images in full ACES workflows.

DaVinci Resolve 9.1 can also now be used with the DeckLink 4K Extreme, Blackmagic Design’s newest addition to the DeckLink family of PCI Express capture cards. DeckLink 4K Extreme includes all the features of the popular DeckLink HD Extreme 3D card, plus UltraHD 4K playback, which is four times the resolution of 1080HD video.

DaVinci Resolve 9.1 is the latest version of the recently introduced DaVinci Resolve 9, which includes a completely redesigned user interface to optimize workflow speed. This significant user interface overhaul was created to harness the power of multiple new technologies added to DaVinci Resolve in the last few years, including automatic 3D eye matching, multi layering timelines, XML support, plus more camera and file type support. The new user interface is extremely fast to use and eliminates unnecessary clicks and settings. A job can be up and running in three clicks: one to log in, one to drop media into the project and the next to grade.

DaVinci Resolve 9.1 features include:

• Support for Apple Macbook Retina technology.
    • Support in XML for FCP X Audition.
    • Improved XML integration for better workflows between Resolve, FCP X and Final Cut Pro 7.
    • Integration with DeckLink 4K Extreme.
    • Includes CinemaDNG Input Device Transform (IDT) for grading Raw images in ACES workflows.
    • Ability to generate new AAF for MXF audio renders.
    • Improved chase audio feature allowing specification in either frames or seconds.
    • Support for timeline audio when PowerMastering.
    • Playback support for Sony Raw F55/F5 files.
    • Improved rendering times for Sony CineAlta SStP files.
    • Playback support for the Red Mysterium-X Monochrome sensor (software decode only).
    • Playback and render support for DNxHD 100.
    • New ASC CDL metadata extraction from ARRIRAW headers.
    • Matte clips can now be assigned to multiple clips in the Media Pool.
    • Red Rocket can now be disabled from Preferences.
    • NTSC DV playback supports both 4X3 and 16x9 aspect ratios

Via: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/press/pressdetails?releaseID=34454

• I'm at the moment in a stage of creating some tools to let older version of Sony Vegas Pro work with DaVinci Resolve. This should work out as follows:

0) media files has to be in same directory as vegas project

1) save vegas project as EDL-txt file

2) generate by means of a program 2 different EDL-txt files

a) first EDL-txt file contains all video files in a linear time order only on one track (linear-EDL)

b) second EDL-txt file contains original structure but links to the new quicktime mov DNxHD files

3) load linear-EDL

4) apply vegas first vegas script which will geneate regions with labels which will be used for numbered filenames of video

5) apply second vegas script to batch reder all regions to DNxHD-files and use region-labes for filenames

6) import files into DaVinci; color grade

7) render in DaVinci under same mov name

8) use second EDL-txt file for final edit in Vegas Pro <

So far, the program for EDL-file conversion already works well. Both scripts also. Nice think is that you save space as mov file finally only have the length of the cut.

If somebody is interested I can post the scripts and the program.

But I have the following issue: If I import the mov files into DaVinci I see that it sets not the mov-files to the name order of filenames. mov files are then positioned first by Start TC and then by End TC. As the Start TC is always 00:00:00:00 for all mov files I end up with an order of files according to End TC.

Is there a way to order the mov files on th timeline according to the naming the files? Please help.... Can somebody post me an excample of an EDL-file which will be accepted by DaVinci.

• I'm at the moment in a stage of creating some tools to let older version of Sony Vegas Pro work with DaVinci Resolve.

Its great !!! vegas pro much easier to work with than premiere pro but how to make it work even with new pro 12 .........? its looks like we need to buy premiere pro or fcp just for to have XML ... I got CG Pro few days ago and its great , but I can watch only tutorials

• @bandw did no try vegas 12 yet and I don't want to buy the upgrade. But in vegas 12 the AAF export should work. And if yo are in CONFORM of DaVinci try Import AAF.

I'm focused on EDL format as you can read it easily. I would be really happy if somebody could post me EDL files which work with DaVinci... Then I think it would be possible to write a program which transfers between Vegas and DaVinc EDL's.

• @tida I'm very interested about using Sony Vegas Pro + Davinci Resolve combo. Currently I'm primarily using After Effects for grading but damn that is slow. I'm especially interested about Resolve's motion tracking / masking.

Do you think that Davinci Resolve will perform faster for these purposes? Also do I need to wrap .mts files to .mov files or does the Davinci Resolve understand .mts files directly?

• @tonalt if you have a computer capable of running resolve properly, yes.

• @tonalt .mts-files will not work in DaVinci Resolve. File like .mov or .mp4 will work but as soon as it is compressed DaVinci will slow down. DNxHD works smooth on my i7 2600k/GTX 570.

Now I think I can fix the EDL incompatability between Vegas and DaVinci. I will let my program generate a third EDL-file. It will end up that all cutted mov.-files are ordered linear in the timeline on one track of DaVinci by putting at first the .mov files into MEDIA area and then import the EDL-file in COMPOSE area.

• @tida So what are the very first steps in your workflow? Copy .mts files from SD-card to computer, then do you convert them to DNxHD files (with which program?) and then do editing in Vegas?

• @tonalt

a1) copy .mts files to logical folder structure of your computer (something like c:\originals\yyyy\yyyy-MM\yyyy-MM-dd)

a2) rename them in a logical way (something like yyyy-MM-dd_hhmmss.mts)

b1) start editing in Vegas in a separate main edit folder - make .veg file

b2) at the end of the cut use "save as" and activate "copy media with project" (this will copy all .mts files into the editing folder)

b3) save .veg project also now as Project_EDL.txt file

c1) load this Project_EDL.txt file into my program (creates Project_EDL_lin.txt, Project_EDL_final.txt, Project_EDL_CMX3600.txt

d1) start Project_EDL_lin.txt in Vegas

d2) apply neat video, stabilizer and/or velocity envelopes to specific takes

d3) use two scripts - rendering of DNxHD will take place in Vegas Pro :) .mov file will be moved to subfolder of edit folder, Project_EDL_CMX3600.txt as well

e1) load from this subfolder all freshly generated .mov files into DaVinci MEDIA

e2) load Project_EDL_CMX3600.txt into Davinci COMPOSE

e3) start color grading in COLOR

e4) render graded files with original name in DELIVER and drop them into main edit folder

f1) start Project_EDL_final.txt in Vegas (audio files will be linked to .mts files, Video files will be linked to .mov files)

f2) edit the rest (put text animations to your video, etc.), save alll as .veg

done....

But yes, DNxHD files will be generated with Vegas Pro rendering. First you have to install it and give settings a simple name which you finally use in one of the Vegas scripts.

• @tida What render options you use in Vegas to generate DNxHD files? If I need to install encoder, could you point me direct link where to get it.

• Resolve is super fast - my ColorGhear Grades in DaVinci sometimes render out close to realtime. By that I mean, 1 minute of video renders in about a minute and fifteen seconds. I'm on an quad core 3.4ghz, 16GB RAM

• What's a good practice for PP and Davinci Resolve workflow? AAF?

• fcp xml - its the bottom option in export from PP

• @shian - I'm learning that the hard way. Adopting a new 10bit denoise upsample workflow so I can ditch the EDL + long clip workflow and have ProRes files to edit/grade instead of mts. Had some major issues with frames being out of sync.

In terms of speed, at 3.9ghz quad core and 32gb of ram along with cuda gets me About 15 frames per second over real time. Not complaining.

• Yeah. Working in DaVinci will make you abandon the MTS workflow entirely.