Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Sony NEX 5N topic
  • 139 Replies sorted by
  • I ment NEX 5N or 5R, I only found this article on Wiki http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/sony-hack/languages?s[]=language is it will work on 5N or 5R? As I understand there is no higher bitrates hack for this cameras? Thank you for your hard work!

• The last message in topic on nex-hack.info are one year old :(

If you mean new cameras - it needs packer modifications.

For old cameras it is possible, you just need to read wiki (it is on PV now).

• Any news on Japanese to English translation hack? The last message in topic on nex-hack.info are one year old :(

• I can shot without tripod using this camera with large telephoto manual as 85mm or 105mm without trepidation ?

• Cool!!!! Thx Vitaliy

• @tetakpatak

NEX hack site - http://www.nex-hack.info

This is our team site. You can check the progress.

Right now open source decryptor and partial unpacker (written in C, you can compile and debug in easy to use free IDE) is available. Work is in progress. First patches are near.

• @apefos
    your mathematic homework here from April 16 was probably correct, only I belive Sony has 1,5 crop and GH2 some 1,86 (-:

@Vitaliy_Kiselev
    Interesting first steps in hacking work on the NEX-5

• best I've found is "portrait" with saturation and contrast all the way down. still not flat as I'd like it.

• I couldn't agree more about he colours with this camera (I've been casually testing one over the past few days) - any thoughts about the 'profiles'? Nothing I have tried really resolves this to my satisfaction yet. I just find everything far too intense - accurate, and the camera is great to use, but really...

• First shots from the Nex 5n, took it to a family function and just captured random stuff.. undercranked it to 24p.. makes nice footage for a stock camera, now just have to fix that color profile a bit.. way to saturated could not do diddly squat with it in post out of the box.

• My Nex5n came in today, been playing a bit more, great little camera, good low light, nice 60fps video for 40% slowmo. trying to find a nice flat picture profile setup.. Still waiting for my adapters for my prime 35mm lenses.

• great test.

if gh2 is 2x crop, from measuring some dimensions from the video in computer screen the 5n is 1.61x

• Simple unscientific test to demonstrate the crop difference between these two brilliant cameras.

I used a voigtlander 35mm f1.4 (as it was the only lens I have with both m4/3 and e mount adapters)

I used a tripod locked down and just swapped the cameras over using a detachable base plate.

Tripods positon was not moved at all.

Pixel peepers beware! It wont be super duper accurate but at least gives a idea of how the crop between he two cameras is in general use.

• @mimirsan

thanks a lot. nice to see this!!! so 5n is the smalest crop factor for good quality video among low budget cameras... i would like to see the gh2 vs 5n video. link?

• Quicker to demonstrate with photograb from video.

Lens was 24mm

As you can see from the left/right of image there's no crop. only the top and bottom are cut off for 16.9.

photo.JPG
    4912 x 3264 - 5M
    video.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 314K
  • @apefos Oops ive literally just uploaded a video with the difference between the GH2 and 5N crop in video 16.9 but not photo. Will do a quicky 5n photo/video comparison later.

• Well, I did not test the heatsink myself. You can search "memory heatsink" on ebay and you will find lots of cheap options. I read somewhere the copper ones are better. Some of them come with an adesive to ease glue on nex-5n.

A crop comparison between 5n photo and video mode with same lens, same focal lenght would be great. (remember to use both 3:2 and 16:9 photo mode when doing that).

thanks

• @apefos I will do a crop comparison for you when I get a bit of free time.

As for the heatsinks...where did you find that??? Does it work?

• Dang you apefos, your going to make me spend more $$$ now :)

• who is gona shoot more than 20 to 30 minutes in a single shoot in a narrative work?

the 16mm k3 camera just shoot 30 seconds in each winding... and it was and is used to do narratives...

Alfred Hitchcock did a movie called ROPE all done with long shots of 10 minutes maximum: Hitchcock shot for periods lasting up to ten minutes (the length of a film camera magazine)

There is a solution for overheating developed using ram memory heatsinks:

Some heatsinks links

http://www.maplin.co.uk/ram-chip-heat-sinks-98850

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heat-Sink-SD-RAM-DDR-DDR2-DDR3-Memory-MC-200-Copper-/170780291147

heatsinks.jpg
    1000 x 666 - 44K
  • Tempted to get this body just for 60p 1080 for slowmo shots, sure it has got faults like can't record over 30 minutes before it over heats but for a $500 camera that can slowmo at 2.5x slower when slowed to 24p.. not a bad deal. besides who is going to record 20 to 30 minutes of slowmo footage in one shot.

• @mimirsan

thank you for the reply. so it seems the 5n just change for 16:9 for video without any aditional croping. if so, it will be great because it will have the smalest crop factor from a low budget camera for video. I would love to see the same lens in gh2 and in 5n in a comparison video on vimeo... thanks

• @apefos 5n is same for both video & photo and to me is around 1.5x ( keep also in mind of 4.3 aspect ratio for photo and 16.9 for video) I have a GH2 also (GH2 is 1.8 crop no?) and crop is more on GH2 than it is on 5n using same lens. As far as I knew same applies to VG20 as I thought it is essentially the same as a 5n just in a different body.

• Hi everybody...

I was doing some research to find the 5n video crop factor but i did not find...

I know the sensor is 1.5x crop factor for photos (from sony website) but i do not know if the camera add some adittional crop when shotting video (no information about).

I know the sony NEX VG20 camcorder is 1.5x crop for photo and 1.8x crop for video. In VG20 the 18-200mm lens is 27-300mm in photo mode and 32.4-360mm in video mode (35mm equivalent). (from sony website).

I just would like to know if someone can confirm or test the photo vs video mode in 5n to find if there is difference in what the camera can frame with the same lens in both modes.

Many thanks.

• Could it be possible to hack Sony NEX series including 5n ? I see too much work in other cameras running and good results obtained.