Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
PTool v3.62d topic
  • 327 Replies sorted by
  • Is it possible to flash a GH2 with the original Panasonic firmware once it has been flashed with a PTool generated firmware?
  • Yes,
    Just follow Vitaliy's steps in first post.
    Load the Panasonic GH2 1.0E firmware. (Link on page)
    Select ONLY "Version increment". (NOTE: this MUST always be selected regardless of any changes!)
    Save file and load in GH2.

• proaudio4:

I am confused whether this loads the original firmware or just a "hacked" firmware with settings that are identical to the original firmware. Does that make sense?
  • no, it is the actual Panasonic firmware that was leaked. it is truly panasonic firmware, not an "equivalent hack firmware". the version up is necessary only in order to trick the camera into accepting the firmware, but it is straight from panasonic.
  • wigginjs,
    B3Guy is absolutely correct.
  • @neochae "Is it possible to disable auto gain control when i use a external mic?
    If is not, Is there any plan to support manual mic gain control?"

Yeah this was driving me mental on my last shoot... I think the best thing to do is record audio to a separate recorder and just sync it in post. As of right now I don't think this able to be disabled via the patch.
  • Does this work with newer GH2 camera's? Mine is less than 60 days old and it will not update the firmware. I go through the process and it has the progress bar showing that it is doing the update, but after it completes the display blinks out for a moment and the camera goes back to business as usual with no update. In the menu showing the firmware version, it still shows the old version. Any ideas?
  • @dr_shizmo Firmware version will not change. I think you have the settings you did load. The behavior of the camera when updating the firmware is exactly as you described. After completion it goes back to business with the new firmware but the same version as the original used for the hack(currently 1.0).
  • Any news on progress for a new release? what is the stage at the hdmi-front? what about stable settings with spanning? low gop? 422? and finally 25p (guess we'll have to wait there for the firmware update from panny.
  • @Tomaso. What do I look for on the camera that would show that the changes were made?
  • @dr_shizmo Depends of what you changed. If you changed bitrate, you can see it on time remaining for empty card. You can record a clip and look what bitrate it got.
  • The firmware update won't offer 25p. Forget it. Nada. Not going to happen. Stop dreaming. The only reason for the new firmware update are the new X lenses with zoom rockers.

Expect it to appear first on the GFX1 (which will match the NEX 7).
  • @sohus
    Maybe it's gonna be 50p through a Vitaliy-trick. I continue hoping for such a miracle.
  • Hello! I have tried the 720p25 mode and it seems that evry software is trying to read the files generated as if
    they where 720p50. Reading is in slowmotion, evry frame is doubled. VLC read it finely but as Stray said, gamma is wrong so no export is possible.. seems like "file identification" problem. Any Idea ? Think you all
  • weird. dunno what tool to use on the windows side, if you have access to a mac, JES Deinterlacer (free) has some great tools for doing this sort of stuff when transcoding - just re-wrap your .MTS as a .mov first.
  • @greg33 I've had the same, audio fine but picture slow motion, a nightmare, i got files into FCP using aunsoft video converter in the end but then audio slightly out of sync, had shot whole short film this way.
  • I've tried arvidtp's method : got Rewrap2M4V and then JES Deinterlacer with 720p50 as export setting. Image is perfect, correct gama, color, no out of sync, frames are still doubled but as i am now in 50p mode there will be no problem at all in FCP... hum..i'll check tomorow.. think you guys.
  • Hi everyone,

Exciting stuff, too exciting may be, it's cutting into my sleeping time :)

Vitaliy Kiselev is a legend, a technology hero like in the best novel, that's for sure.

My respects sir.
  • I've tried a few combinations of settings (from the various proposed here) over a few days and I want to share some visual reckonings about COLOUR BANDING:

- Boosting and tweaking the AVCHD compressor quality definitely improves the overall image, but the colour banding - although it changes - does not go away much. It seems to me that AVCHD higher bit rates produce a bigger number of thiner bands on dealing with the fine nuances of a colour gradient (this is very noticeable in flat surfaces with soft shadows across them).
    The borders between these bands seem sharper too, all of which denotes more information in the image, but the annoying banding is still visible.
    - I wonder about a combination of this increased amount of information plus the application of dithering within the process, or some algorithm alike. I'm afraid that this kind of thing might be beyond the limitations of a firmware hack, but I've read that some devices (like monitors) use these kind of trick to overcome the 8-bit limitations.
    - I hope that, any way, the higher image quality will play favourable in post-production, especially applying de_Banding and colour correction, which I've found very difficult to accomplish very well with some of the GH2 footage I've done during the last months, always nightmarish within big areas with colour gradients on them!
  • ABOUT HDMI (I know, wrong topic, but it's related to the colour banding issue):

- While testing I have noticed that the image going out through the HDMI port presents much less banding before hitting the REC button (while camera is passive).
    - I've also noticed that the HDMI signal automatically adapts some exposure settings when the camera is not recording, which would be a problem if trying to use that signal when the camera is not in REC mode.
    I wonder about what application could these have.
  • The viewfinder is just trying to stay visible as 'good' as Panny thinks it should. If you want full control of the output, you need to be recording internally too. Very low data rates can help with this if you don't need that recording for backup – another advantage of the hack.

Maybe monitoring can be hacked too.

Back to the subject at hand:

All cheap monitors use some dithering to cover up banding, many laptops don't even really have true 8 bit screens.

I doubt this can be done in camera, but in CGI we have used the trick of adding a little bit of noise before intercutting with video for years. You can try the same in post to cover banding, in particular if you need to re-compress heavily in the end, like for web video.

But with the intra hack, Neatvideo can work it's magic so much better, give it a try!
  • Sorry but; I downloaded the GH2_V10.bin file. but I couldn't install it. whae I doublr click on it it turns out to a "GH2_V10.bin.cpzg" file. I use Mac. So how can I upgrade the firmware in mac ?
  • you have no idea what you are doing :) read instructions. please.
  • Read instructions in first post in this thread http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/666/ptool-v3.62d-topic/p1 as well as follow the first link in that post. REMEMBER to use a fully charged original bateri when upgrading the firmware. Do NOT use power supply.
  • @Vitaliy
    In some post -I'm not remember what thread- you announced a new ptool version in October. Could you advance any new settings in this patch release, please?
    Thanks
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions