Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood ClusterX series 2:│moon│ЅріzZ│nebula│drewnet│Slipstream │Redshift
  • 1053 Replies sorted by
  • @nomad then which is the profile which has better DR just below Nost which might not give any problem in grading????

• @manstok @maddog15 When the scene detail is maxed out, your overall bitrate is going to be around 18.75-19 MB/s. That 64GB card is going to have about 59.6GB of space as far as Windows Explorer is concerned (or at least the 64GB CF cards I've got in at the moment does). In other words you are guaranteed at least 52 minutes of recording time under the most intense possible conditions.

Real world bitrates vary drastically. I've had shoots where it dropped below 8 MB/s (which would mean recording times in excess of 2 hours on a 64GB card if the rate consistently stayed that low).

Personally, I find that figuring around 10-11 MB/s (so around 90 minutes on a 64GB card) gives me a useful reference point if I am shooting people or macro photography with shallow DOF or flattering lenses/filters, but I know the max recording time will go down if I'm shooting hyper-detailed patterns or scenery, or anything with especially deep DOF.

@Maya Here's the breakdown.

• Standard and Vibrant have the most neutral colors.
    • Dynamic range wise Nostalgic>Smooth>Standard>Vibrant (well there is controversy about where Vibrant places so let's not dwell too much on that).

Note that each profile may appear to raise or lower the exposure slightly so set your exposure settings after your choose your profile (and be aware that you may want to switch if you are shooting in extreme dark or bright light).

Anyway, Smooth or Standard would be the best candidates (more DR with Smooth and somewhat more accurate colors with Standard).

• @driftwood

Moon t5 worked like a charm! Footage from the weekend looks absolutely stunning; the fs700 could not keep up at all (can´t wait to record 4k/2k raw instead of the horrible built in codec), however I needed it for some wide angle and tracking shots, where I didn´t have matching glass / micro vibrations could have made life difficult.

We ended up not using DREWnet at all.

• @RRRR On the FS700, are you talking about internally recording to the card or about using an external recorder?

• Do you guys like Moon over Sedna or DREWnet's Apocalypse Now?

• @thepalalias

Internal recording.. the encoder is not great and it (or scaling?) creates some unwanted artifacts. I´ll demonstrate when I have the time.

• @DFuture I definitely prefer it to DREWnet AN and so far I'm finding it holds up well against Sedna in comparisons. But in terms of bitrate Moon 5 scales better as detail increases while Sedna uses a higher bitrate in lower detail scenes.

The attached screenshot shows lossless crops of the lower right corner of the frame in a high detail scene. This is the type of scene were Moon 5 will outperform Sedna - in some lower detail scenarios the situation could potentially reverse. But as you can see, both of them get detail that the factory settings miss in the canvas pattern (especially about halfway down).

@RRRR Yeah, I saw some of that in slow-motion tests online. I was just curious as to whether those showed up in externally recorded footage as well. :)

compare moon 5, sedna q20a, fact 1.1.png
    1280 x 1024 - 2M
  • Random, ungraded still from the weekend, moon t5 I noticed focus is a little far back (on the ear) after the export.

00072.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 462K
  • Shot with 25mm/1.4 CCTV C-Mount lens and Moon Trial 5.

ISO 3200; 1/40 Shutter Speed; Smooth, all -2; No grading/color correction

• @thepalalias Thanks for further clarification. Really appreciate it. I've been shooting in cinema with all settings at -2. Per your experience I'll try standard or smooth next shoot.

• @thepalalias thats a good info so sooth and standard is it required to keep -2-2-2-2 all the time? Moon T3 vs T4 vs T5 which one shoots so cinematic for a colorful spring farewell video shoot?

• @maddog15 Cinema is one of the profiles that darkens the overall exposure the most (which is part of the reason it may make a good first impression when you use it) but it has more issue turning yellow in the highlights than the other profiles/film modes I mentioned. Best of luck with it.

@Maya Personally I only use Moon T5 - it is supposed to be the most stable. Moon T4 and T3 have different quantizer settings and higher specified bitrates for 720P footage, but T5 also has a lower GOP (3 vs 6) in 720p60 than either T4 or T5, etc., etc. (I think I may have posted more about the differences earlier in the thread).

Anyway, my suggestion would be to go with Moon T5 by default.

As far as -2, -2, -2, -2, I would use the same approach to that as you did with Nostalgic. If it was working for you then, keep doing it.

• Cluster X Moon V5 with Sound Professionals MS-TFB-2 Binaural microphone in camera audio.

• Used Moon 5 last week and I'm very happy with the results. I'll show the video when the doc is finished... Shot with the Nokton 25mm f.95

Screen Shot 2013-04-24 at 4.35.14 PM.png
    1920 x 1200 - 2M
  • Preview of my upcoming shortfilm. Moon V5, all the way.

• @rzzl

that looks really good

• @thepalalias Thanks again. Doing a TV:30 shoot tomorrow. Using Moon T5. After a couple of weeks testing Moon T5 I have the utmost confidence in the patch. Thanks to you Mr. Driftwood. I'll post the spot once it's finalized.

• which one of these patches can i use with regular sd cards??? thanks awesome videos everybody!

• @thepaladius "Cinema is one of the profiles that darkens the overall exposure the most"

Actually, Cinema is the flattest setting exposure wise. All the other settings bump the curve or adjust the colors.

• @Driftwood ClusterX Drewnet trial 8........ amazing patch. very i'm impressed: general details, single frame details, FSH max 38 mbps is very usefull for me, i have laptop and mts file with mbps over 50 don't play so good.

• @Jim_Simons Sending a PM.

@monoseba There's no such thing as a "regular SD card" but if you mention a specific one, it might be possible to suggest a good setting.

If your card is slow, you might want to try using "24L" instead of "24H", and if you are looking for a recent Driftwood settings, perhaps start with the Slipstream settings?

If you mean "what's a not too demanding setting", then I would probably say look at Sanity 5.1, No Adverse Affects or Cake (but of those three, I've really only shot much footage with Sanity).

• @monoseba I use the Sandisk 45MB/s 64gb cards. I've used them with GOPstoppa, Sedna and now Moon, and rarely run into issues. The only times I've had write errors is in 720p in very high detail scenes, but I can't consistently replicate it, so not sure what exactly is going on.

• @powderbanks Are these on "a" settings/24H? Moon T5?

• @tinyrobot, yes, 24H has been flawless with all of the patches I've tried, Moon Trial 5 included. The only thing I haven't done much with Moon is long takes; though from the performance of it so far, I can't see issues arising.

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters