Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood ClusterX series 2:│moon│ЅріzZ│nebula│drewnet│Slipstream │Redshift
  • 1053 Replies sorted by
  • @Maya It refers to the level (version?) of h264 codec. It doesn´t mean that the encoder does a superb job automatically.

• @RRRR Hi mate, I'd try moon T5 for close-up/mid shots and less busy wides, and DREWnet T8 for high detail wides :-)

@Maya For a start there is a b frames issue with the 5DmkIII, the rate control method is strange, only two or three internal 'weird' scaling matrices are used (and automatically selected) for auto, sharper, softer depending on the bitrate employed, and a few other probs that Ive learned. This no doubt will be improved by the Magic Lantern team eventually. Currently, I prefer the GH3 over the 5DMKIII.

Looking at test results of both cameras if it were me, Id be using the GH2 as the A cam - but thats my choice - do some tests first and see which YOU prefer tbh.

• @driftwood I don't have a gh3 yet. but if its hacked I will sure buy one. Intact myself I am waiting for the first GH3 hack release. Anyway I will keep gh2 moon t5 for close and mid and drew net 8 for wide as u mentioned. Lol.

• @driftwood any news on upcoming patch?? Should I choose Nost -2-2-2-2 for t5??

• I will attest the detail the GH2 picks up on wide shots using Drewnet T8. Here's some rather poorly shot video I took in DC over the weekend. In the first two shots you can practically see every detail in the people on the steps and the people walking across the pond. The original/non vimeo footage in 1080P is even more detailed.

I really like the drewnet settings!

• @driftwood Cheers mate! I´ll try them out! (one for each cam maybe) :)

There should be some productions in the public soon, also!

• I'm curious why so many folks upload their 'sample footage' to a free Vimeo account, which only allows 720p. Wouldn't a free YouTube account (or at least a PAID Vimeo account), both of which allow the full glory of the GH2's 1080 image, be a better choice?

• I have enough trouble getting a 720 file with 1 keyframe.sec to stream smoothly across a wide range a peoples' internet connections

• @Jim_Simon Google drive or Dropbox is the best alternative for video quality demo, because it only stores files, while Youtube re-encodes all uploads and reduces quality drastically, even at 1080 it is visible to much

• True, but YT's 1080 recode is better than Vimeo's 720 recode. So if you have only a free account, YT is the better option. That doesn't apply once you pay for Vimeo and get the full 1080 of the original.

• @Jim_Simon I agree, youtube looks much better then vimeo with free account!

• Just a nice scene.

• Crap. First "DREWnet V8" glitch. Was shooting in bright sunlight (not looking into the sun) on 1080i FSH mode and camera locks up with "recording stopped due to card speed... blah blah blah" message after about 20 seconds of recording. Card is the 64GB 95Mb/s SanDisk Extreme Pro. Tried it with my other SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB .... same thing. Camera and screen locks up. Waited a couple of minutes - had to turn switch off, pull battery and power on to get back into standby mode.

FYI: Doesn't record anything on 1080i FSH during the 20 seconds. 720p test vid I took right before was on the camera and OK.

Reran the same test inside with darker lighting conditions.... FSH seemed to work fine then.

Damn.... And this hack was so stable thus far.

• @maddog15

PAL or NTSC?

• towi - NTSC I've reloaded 'Moon T5'. Wanna live with it for a while. driftwood - I have to say that so far Moon is my favorite. Just a personal preference. While the file sizes are obviously quite a bit larger, the footage it produces is simply beautiful. Smooth, clean and great for grading. I've actually purchased another 64GB 95Mb/s card in preperation for a location shoot. My agency is doing a concept spot for client pitch. Museum exhibit about mythical creatures. "Beautiful day in the park" kinda thing. Couple looks up to be rendered speechless by the image of a dragon (professionally animated into the footage) gliding trough the air off in the distance.

Should be fun and I think Moon T5 will work wonderfully.

• @maddog15 Thanks for the feedback on the 1080i patch of the DREWnet T8 setting. Ill try and reproduce this error and look at ways of fixing it. Was HBR ok on the same subject matter?

• Is any of the driftwood patches recommended for documentary style 24p work, when I don't have budget for fast cards? I only have 2 x 32 GB Sandisk 45 MB/s card, and I would back them up to a laptop from time to time. Which spanning and diskspace-friendly hacks would you recommend? (possibly including other hacks as well, like Sanity)

• @szero Slipstream 1b works flawlessly for me. 32GB 30Mb/s Sandisk card. Spanning worked great all modes. PLUS on 24p high you get nearly 3x the bit rate of the highest stock firmware setting so the footage looks great.

• @driftwood Spanning on HBR did work with DREWnet V8. BUT the sun had gone in by that time so i can't be sure since shooting during bright sunlight seemed to be the only variable that made 1080i lock up. Remember that 1080i worked fine indoors on on its high and low setting. Hope this helps. :^/

• @maddog15, thanks! also for @driftwood: What is the point of using Slipstream if I would only like to use one mode? Especially in my case, when I'm for documentary style work, only in 24p, and aiming for the best compression efficiency: isn't the longest possible GOP the best choice? So isn't the natural choice DREWnet in my case?

• In part @zsero but you must remember I designed DREWnet to replicate other HI BITRATE Long GOPs out there so despite the efficiency I'm pushing the encoder still to the limit :-). This means it attempts to maximise 24p with extremely high i frames and decent prediction slices at extremely low (best) quantisation - QP8 is often reached in the coded picture - and subsequently, you can still expect very hi data rates on your sd card so it won't save you much! DREWnet T8* is equivalent to 180Mbps+ at Intra comparable bitrates when its at the extreme end of recordings (*DREWnet can sustain Long GOP at 88+Mbps at hi detail)

• @driftwood, thanks for the explanation! Is any of your codecs optimized for maximum efficiency with not extreme bitrates? Something which can span on slower cards, is reliable, but still much nicer than the original? A bit like Sanity in 24L? Or all your patches follow the 'bitrate-first' school (with all it's benefits and consequences)?

• @zsero Im working on a low bitrate mini Cluster X - await.

Off to Espanola land now. Hopefully the hotels will have a good internet link :-) Cia for now all.

• @driftwood that would be awesome, for us poor folks :\

• @driftwood "QP8 is often reached in the coded picture"

Damn, dude. You rock!

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters