Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Special deals: Matteboxes, ND filters, ND holders, follow focuses
  • Important update: We have very good, limited time deals. See below. Deals can be stopped at any time !

Send me personal message (on the left column at http://www.personal-view.com/talks/profile/1/Vitaliy_Kiselev )
    if you want to purchase it.

So, here are the deals (for forum members):

Most now deals moved to http://www.personal-view.com/deals , check it first

http://www.personal-view.com/deals/filters/other-filters-holders

TrusMT follow focus

Known for very low backlash, amazing build quality.

Price:
    NF2, 15mm rods version - $219

NF3 ,19mm rods version - $270

Shipping: Includes shipping for US/Canada/UK/Australia&NZ/Western Europe.

NewMap follow focus

New addition to our deals.
    Original constructions that allows to rise follow focus keeping all construction rigid.

Price: $235

Lanparte follow focus

It is slick, very low backlash follow focus with hard stops.

Price: $379

Tilta follow focus with hard stops

Considered best original Chinese produced follow focus.

Price: $420
    Shipping: Includes shipping for US/Canada/UK/Australia&NZ/Western Europe. Contact for any other regions.
    Limits: 2 items only.
    Packing: Usual.

Tilta follow focus kit

Very useful package. Good camera base and amazing FF, all in sturdy box.

Price: $625
    Shipping: Includes shipping for US/Canada/UK/Australia&NZ/Western Europe. Contact for any other regions.
    Limits: 2 items only.
    Packing: Good sturdy box.

TrusMT matteboxes

Check additional details and price.

Cinematics Matte Box

* Swivel function.
    * Very good quality.
    * Alu, except filter holders.
    * Comes with four flags (no other similar priced mattebox comes with bottom flag).

Check additional details and price.

Remember to support us if you find such deals helpful :-)

mattebox_detail1.jpg
    600 x 994 - 378K
    mattebox_detail2.jpg
    600 x 898 - 345K
    mattebox_detail3.jpg
    600 x 973 - 332K
    MatteBox_02.jpg
    1024 x 683 - 49K
    MatteBox_03jpg.jpg
    1024 x 683 - 60K
  • 233 Replies sorted by
  • @Jynsen to remove it in post is not that big problem, but it will be still not the same as shot with an good nd in terms of colour information and contrast (ND4,8 is lowering contrast too). I think i will stick to my vari nd like before, too. So everybody has to decide if its worse the investment. Beside that thanks to this great comunity, sharing much useful info and also to come up with great deals (beside the NDs for me;) cheers

• @RuhrCity Yes, as I said ND 4 and 8 definitely add cool tint, but I can remove it in post. Yes, it is an extra hassle and I would want them to be perfect, but for the price you pay... No doubt I prefer my Heliopan variable ND filter (extremely sharp, versatile, no color cast), however, when I need to use a mattebox these filters work OK.

• @jynsen Ive ordered the GlassND-Set too, but sadly im not that happy with it. To my eyes it adds a more or less extreme greenish tint to the picture. ND2 seems ok to me, but with ND 4 and much more ND 8 its too extreme and really hard to compensate with CC in post. Beside that ND8 blocks more than 3 stops of light from my experience. I have to to more test with it, but for now i think just ND2 is usable for me. What do you think about it, maybe also in comparison to other products...thanks so far

• Thanks for sharing the pics jynsen! Has anyone else tried the 4x4 ND's? I'm thinking about getting them.

• I received the Trusmt FF two days ago and used it with great pleasure. It is very well made and works perfectly. An other great buy. Thanks Vitaliy!

• I ordered a set of 4x4 glass ND filters, they come with a useful bag and work fine. As far as I can tell, there is no loss of sharpness. However, there is some visible blue color cast when using ND 4 and 8. Overall, I'm happy with the quality of this set :)

ND-4.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 302K
    ND-8.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 279K
    ND-2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 410K
  • @shayanxtra I have the TrusMT and I love it. And it's $50 cheaper now than when I bought it!!! Damnit! Amazing deal for $210 or whatever it is now.

• I dont know which one is better Lanparte of Trusmt? Help please

• Well maybe I'm the only one to experience it with the cog.

• No plastic knob on my TrusMT and I've had zero problems with the plastic cog or anything like that. Used it for a few shoots already.

• @ Vitaliy_Kiselev - I found that using the wider focus wheels that come with the Trusmt much better than the Lanparte thin rubber wheel, which is actually something I forgot to say. With the much larger diameter gearing it doesn't require a lens support. So I bought a few of the Trusmt lens gears separately to use on the Lanparte follow focus.

I can tell you that within minutes of using the Trusmt wheel it was taking an edge off the plastic cog, so take what you will from that. I'm not an idiot and didn't jam the cogs together and bind them before turning.

I'm not saying that the grip isn't good on the Trusmt, yes you can get your hand around it and grab it well, but it doesn't feel as nice in the hand to me as the Lanparte. I found that the ridges in the Trusmt meant it was fiddly if you had to do a significant change in focus, the Lanparte doesn't have these ridges but it does have a nice rubber grip. I use manual Nikon glass and the grip is very similar to that, so this is possible why I prefer it. This is subjective.

In practice when pulling focus I would expect both to do the same job, as they both seem to have zero backlash. So it comes down to personal preference and mine would be the Lanparte for the above reasons.

• I found using heavy manual lenses that if slippage occurred between follow focus and lens it could fray the plastic edges on the Trusmt follow focus cog/wheel.

Normally, to prevent slippage it is enough to use proper lens support. And I never before saw TrusMT damaged wheel. In fact, many plastics are much better suited than Alu for such tasks.

Again, the Trusmt is just plastic.

Last time I checked it was solid Alu, with very good grip.

• For anyone considering either the Trusmt or Lanparte follow focuses. I bought both recently to try out and ended up keeping the Lanparte for just a few reasons:

1. The cog/wheel connecting the follow focus to the focus ring on the lens is plastic on the Trusmt whereas it's solid metal on the Lanparte. I found using heavy manual lenses that if slippage occurred between follow focus and lens it could fray the plastic edges on the Trusmt follow focus cog/wheel. I suppose there are replacement cogs but this just didn't sit well with me.

2. The middle adjustment on the Trusmt is unnecessary in my opinion and could just contribute to play in the system, it's just another thing that could come loose. I find the bottom slide adjustment more than enough, and really if you want vertical adjustment this is something that should be done at the camera base plate, in my opinion.

3. The grip is substantially better on the Lanparte, being a better size and has a rubber ring that feels much better in the hand. Again, the Trusmt is just plastic.

4. The way the Lanparte follow focus mounts to the rails is also very well thought out and needs very little clearance or fiddling with angles. It's a simple clip on affair with one screw to tighten. The Trusmt is also a clip on job but I found that it needed to go in at bit more of a specific angle. This is only a small point.

However, all that being said, the Trusmt is bloody well made and built like a tank. If you can afford it though I would save for the Lanparte over the Trusmt.

• I received the TrusMT FF on Monday and boy is it nice. I have one of the India ones before and it did the job but started to develop play very fast. The TrusMT is really tight and as far as I can see, has ZERO backlash. I mean nothing moves when you grab the gear and try and turn it. Also as soon as you turn the FF, the lens moves. Very nice indeed. It locks down tight too. It does take some hand strength but once it's tight, it's solid! I'd also like to point out that I was using a different address to get in touch with them in regards to shipping and had a slight problem. I contacted Vitaliy and heard back from them immediately. They were very apologetic. We were emailing back and forth on Saturday night and I received the package on MONDAY!!! From China!!!!! The DHL Expressed it and sent me an extra little rod mount thingy to use for whatever. Makes me want to buy more products from them! Anyways, great product, love the size, build and feel and amazing customer service from the other side of the lake. Thanks again @Vitaliy_Kiselev!!!

• I'm suprised by Fotga FF. It's solid rock, i love it, very high quality for budget. I got also cinematics matte box with the set of 3 nd filters, and the 2 filters for polarizing. The matte box is high quality, simple to assemble and the monitor hood is nice. One downside is the velvet on the internal side (on the flags), that catch a lot of dust. Also, putting the filter inside is a little tough, i always hope to not crack them. Anyway, very good product for the price, i'll try to figure out the velvet thing.

Buy the Fotga with two steps, you will love it.

Buy the cinematics, but keep in mind this: they have a proprietary size for filters, so try to put in the deal all the nd and polarizer you need. They are not 4x4, but little less on one side.

Hope this can help :)

• USE PM FOR QUESTIONS

Anyone who'll try to post here anything not related to gear that he personally got from the deals here listed in first post, will be banned without any additional warning. Please, use topics made for items in Gear categories.

• @Reckless I was my first try but it does not work. If the edge in the red circle comes up it is too high and the upper flag does not come down anymore. I wrote to trusmt and the confirmed that it was a mistake in one batch the were manufacturing. They promised to replace the side flags within two weeks.

• @rda @headofmush

Can you show this donut holder?
    I as far I remember if this screws are adjusted properly, it'll can be removed by hand and then placed small ball snap into small ditch.

• @rda

I have the 2nd version and it's the same thing. Only difference is it's height adjustable and a couple other subtle changes. I have the same problem with the flags not tightening down very firmly also. I agree, I wish the donut holder would screw, or even attach magnetically, onto matte-box instead of having to loosen and tighten 3 allen keys every time you want to use a different lens.

• I got version one of the TrusMT matte box, and found it had two problems: 1) Changing the donut required an allen wrench (very inconvenient in the heat of production!) 2) The top flag wouldn't tighten down adequately and tended to sag.

The matte box was so inexpensive I'm not complaining, but I wonder if they've fixed those two things on version two....

• have been comparing this cinematics to the discount box on the daily deals. Aside from the bottom flag, folding flat and felt inside the flags is there any other major differences? I know the red star is often rebranded and sold by various people but it seems solid and doesnt have the terrible branding all over it

• @Vitaliy, as you have dealings with TrustMT. Would there be a possibility of getting a deal on the: TRUSMT D140 Matte Box

• @headofmush - 6 days from ordering to delivery in LA.

• Hi,

I want to say a big thank you for establishing these special deals, Vitaliy. I ordered on Sunday and today - Thursday - TrusMT Mattebox and follow focus arrived. Perfect. BR Uli

• @drewski310 How long did shipping take?