Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Special deals: Matteboxes, ND filters, ND holders, follow focuses
  • 233 Replies sorted by
  • öhm, no - just ordered it 2 days ago ;-)
  • Finally the seller emailed me. My Cinematics order will be shipped tomorrow.
  • My TrustTM MB was shipped on August 5th via DHL.
  • Hello,
    I'm new here but very interested in one of these MB. I'm currently filming with a GH1 with a bunch of Nikon primes (GH2 on the side since it has no 25P option).

I've been reading your thoughts about Cinematics and Trust. I have a ProAim Jumbo MB with French and side flags but what really makes me want one of these is the swing away option.

I'm inclined towards the second but any more thoughts on this will be very appreciated.
    Thanks

• Looks like they have some kind of supply problem with the cinematics MB (and also a very strange way of sending emails 40-times).

I really hope they get sings sorted out soon and we alle get our matteboxes.
  • >Looks like they have some kind of supply problem with the cinematics MB (and also a very strange way of sending emails 40-times).

Not the supply problem, but some guy wrongly assembled them :-)

As for email. Don't know that to say, as I got same 40 emails :-)

It is ok, shit happens.
  • I wonder how you can assemble these things the wrong way? ;-)

• >I wonder how you can assemble these things the wrong way? ;-)

Attach filter section from inside? :-)
  • >I wonder how you can assemble these things the wrong way? ;-)

It depends what you're smoking ;) LOL!
  • Thanks Vitaliy - I didn see that thread.

But one question is still open and I think fits better in here: Do the 4x4 filters (10cm x 10cm) fit in the Cinematics mattebox?
    Or are the holders a bit smaller like the Cokin P series (8,4 cm x 9 cm)?
  • >Do the 4x4 filters (10cm x 10cm) fit in the Cinematics mattebox?

Of course. :-)
  • Ok, I Got my TrustTM MB. I must say that it was a good investment. First thing I had noticed was the swing-away.... LOVE IT !!! (no matter how long your rails are)..... looks solid, however no bottom flag hmmm...
    As you can tell my first impression is positive ;-)
  • @Tommyboy
    We are waiting for review now :-)
    How good is vertical adjustment? Is it handy to use?
    Also it is interesting how good is filter section.
  • @Vitaliy

Please keep in mind I'm no expert but the vertical adjustment is very useful and it is about 1.5 inch up or down slide. I'll take some picture and maybe a short video tomorrow. Filter selection looks solid as well. It rotates 360 degrees. I just need to get some 4x4 cpl and nd filters, I would really appreciate if some one could give me a name of the filters to buy that are worth the money.
  • @Tommyboy

You mean 4x4 filters?

Good ones are Tiffen :-) But cost more than MB itself :-)

Glass 4x4 are sold by Indian sellers also (do not know anything about quality):
    http://www.thecinecity.com/eshop/home.php?cat=258

And please use proper topic for such question!
  • Hello,

For use my futur mattebox, I would like carbon rods, I've check on many web site good and cheap carbon rods.
    I've order 1 pair carbon rods 12" for only $42 (french destination) with shipping !!
    I've this rods on :

http://www.indisystem.com/products/12%22-Carbon-Fiber-Rods-%28pair%29.html

When I received it, I test and I made a report ;-)

Tom
  • @titom666

We have proper topic about rods, please use it.
  • Sorry to ask again, can the Panasonic LUMIX 20mm f/1.7 lens be used with the Cinematics Mattebox?

Also anyone know what size rings the Cinematics comes with?
  • These guyes are fast... my Cinematics MB arrived today! Thats faster than most national mail.

And man, this thing is huge - I didn't know how big this MB is. A bit heavy but well made, except the filter holders - they can be improved. You can put 4x4 filters in there and they will hold them, but no smooth rotation of the filter is possible. Even to rotate it at all is not easy. I will have a look into that, maybe it can be improved a bit.

One thing is for sure - you will be noticed with this MB on your rig ;-)

After just a short test, I'm glad it doesn't vignet on my Olympus 14-35. But its very close, I have to put the lens very close to the filter holders. Fortunately the Oly lens is no pancake - could be a close call with the 20mm (but I don't have the 20mm to test).
  • Sandpaper... hope it solves the issue.

Using 20mm pancake... one could try that, but not sure about sticking it inside the mattebox. One might say, "Where's it? Did you shovel it IN?"

I'd use a fader ND filter with a rubber hood on the pancake.
  • >You can put 4x4 filters in there and they will hold them, but no smooth rotation of the filter is possible.

I told you what filter section is below overall level. :-)
    But after short time you won't notice it much.
    Unsmooth rotation occures because of construction. This is my understanding.
  • As far as I know, a polarisation filter is very recommended when shooting outdoor (blue sky, water,..) or a vary ND to get the F-stop down - both would require a filter holder that can be rotated at least 180° without freaking out the camera operator (me!).

Another thing I don't like about the filter section: the filter close to the lens can be rotated, it would be better if the one further away could be rotated :-(

But its still a good MB and gives also the option to replace the filterholders by some DIY parts. I will look into that after actually using it.
  • >As far as I know, a polarisation filter is very recommended when shooting outdoor (blue sky, water,..) or a vary ND to get the F-stop down - both would require a filter holder that can be rotated at least 180° without freaking out the camera operator (me!).

Vari ND for 4x4 is just two polirizers :-)
    As for polarizer, good one for 4x4 is not cheap (and you really need good one).
    Even ND is not cheap either.
  • Yeap, they're not cheap. Over $200 for a White Water Glass from Tiffen or Schneider.
  • >Is this deal still good?

Yep.

We have an agreement with sellers that they can stop the deal at any time.