Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 user reviews and opinions
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • Why we can not set the rez of image in order to achieve anamorphic film? It is so difficult? It is quite hard to work with anamorphic lens, or to do it in post...

• @shian u have demonstrated in past that converting with 5dtorgb the footage will grade better. Now i have 2 questions about the gh3 when using mov mode.

1. Now that we get mov out of the gh3 would you still use 5dtorgb to convert anything? 2.To get real 25p out of the gh2 i had to use 5dtorgb or clipwrap before importing the footage but what about the gh3 is there still the need of doing that in mov mode?
  • I think the SD-card door would be more secure if there actually was a gasket between the door and body (giving some pressure so the door would not slide so fast out) and of course the weather sealing would be intact. As its now I really dont understand why there is no gasket in this critical opening on the body...

EDIT: A closer inspection of the SD-card door reveals that there is a kind of rubbery feel to some of the door edges inside, but it really is no gasket like on the battery door.

• @AdamT

Panasonic definitely must look for Pentax on how to properly make secure and sealed card doors :-)

• My SD door is also too easily opened but I've only had a problem when pulling the camera out of a bag. There appears to be no weather sealing on this door which is curious.

• @EspenB i've noticing the same thing. It's a shame but as FilmintArt said I just put a piece of tape to hold it. Really it's only an issue for me when shooting the camera bare handheld as usually on a rig or tripod my hands are off that part of body.

• @EspenB

Yes, that is a problem for me as well. A design Flaw. All I can think for now is to Gaffer Tape it.

• @shian Cool, look forward to seeing it!

• I have a minor issue with my GH3 and that is that the SD-card door is very easy to open up by a mistake. I can barely touch this side of the camera body without making the door spring open. Also there is no kind of seal in between the main body and SD-card door, which makes me wonder if my GH3 is actually missing a piece of rubber from the factory?

• @jfilmmaker soon. I needed a break, and I had some paying work to get off my plate first. I'll get back to it this weekend.

• my musicvideo made with Panasonic gh3

• Nice crop factor test comparing Gh3 to 5D and 7D found on Vimeo.

• @Shian When's part 4 coming? Given everything with potential hacking, does GH3 appear the way to go over GH2? thx!

• @angry_c I think he means the GH2 ;-)))

• GH3 looks greenish???

• @Alex Yes, GH3 looks greenish but the GH2 also normally has lot of magneta tint. I assume that LPowell did something to correct it a bit in the FM, that patch has been impressively configurated until the last detail. I remember the colors of the GH2 were touch different in the firmware 1.0 but I don't remember how.....maybe it would be worth it checking some old patches.

• but is it any better for the GH3? what choice of picture modes would be best for a comparison? I think the settings I picked are quite good to compare against each other ...

• standard is not good for the GH2 - which we all know

• same setup. Here is only the red channel with saturation cranked all the way up. The GH3 has a much smoother red channel.

• yes, the GH2 is green -

-

Screen Shot 2013-01-02 at 23.10.46.png
    2023 x 1619 - 2M
    Screen Shot 2013-01-02 at 23.28.43.png
    2029 x 1627 - 2M
  • @Alex

Sry, but the GH2s footage is green as poison. Check this with vectorscope.

• @Alex I have a calibrated IPS monitor, and I'd say the GH2 has a green tint, while the GH3 looks much more neutral.

• GH2 flowmotion vs GH3 50IBP:

• same lens (both Olympus OM 28mm f3.5 @f3.5)
    • both STANDARD picture profile 0,0,0,-2/-5
    • WB 6500K

here is how both cameras render colors out of the box. The GH3 clearly shows a magenta tint :-)

-

Screen Shot 2013-01-02 at 18.55.20.png
    2065 x 1627 - 3M
  • That's awesome... thanks for the scene reference, Mark.

• Did this for myself to get a better idea of what each of the GH3 scene modes actually did, just chucked it on youtube thought it may (or may not!) be useful for anyone else looking at the same seing as I'd just spent a while doing it, helped me get my head around it better if nothing else :). 5 secs of the same scene in same lighting settings in video then I ran though them again a screen shotted with vegas pro scopes up from 50sec in.

Mark

• Amazon just shipped my GH3 out few days ago excited to start shooting some projects with it. For me having 1080 60p, weather sealing, and a normal mic jack is worth the price alone. Everything else is just a bonus. We shoot alot of slo mo footage for TV work and always had to up res 720p footage and you can tell the quality difference cutting hacked GH2 1080 24p footage with 720p in HD broadcast. We also do alot of green screen work and it would have been nice to have uncompressed 4-2-2 hdmi out but hopefully avfirmware update later on we can have this.