Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 user reviews and opinions
  • 1089 Replies sorted by
  • GH2 at -2-2-2-2 and the GH3 at -5-5-5-5 - time wasting

• @Frame

I still have a GH2 and I'm trying to shoot side-by-side comparisons, no hot lights though, about 80% of my work is available light and that's what I really need to test.

I'm shooting the GH2 with fm2 hack, GH3 with 50m, both 24p, same iso (320), both cameras in standard 0000 and then GH2 at -2-2-2-2 and the GH3 at -5-5-5-5.

The weather here has been abysmal, I need some contrast to shoot my skin tone test and high contrast daylight set ups, maybe by the weekend I can post something.

The most apparent difference so far is the DR difference, its not huge but a significant improvement.

• @AdamT. Great, thank yuo. Can´t wait to see a direct comparison. Please do not forget to use nostalgic as one base setting. This setting has best gamma/least contrast. For finding comparable sharpening values, some cloth with fine patterns like unbleached jeans fabric might help. Read somewhere that with values over -2, the GH2 only adds artificial sharpening, so -2 is the "base settig". But I guess, DR is of most interest.

• @jfilmmaker I can verify that it works fine. Not tried any spanning though yet, ref this discussion, but I guess that's a GH2 hacking-specific issue.

• @jfilmmaker

not sure why it wouldn't be

• Hey guys, is GH3 successfully compatible with Sandisk 128GB 95MB/sec memory card? I would guess yes, obviously, but I just want to double check there is no space limition that I would discover after the fact. Thanks!

• Friday, I put on line (on Vimeo) the first TV documentary shot entirely with GH3. Mixing takes place tomorrow, Thursday calibration. What I can say for now: GH3 nice surprise this eventually.

• I'm just sayin', you can't do a same settings comparison because they don't have the same settings. Not lame -- just a fact. Even if you zero out all the adjustments, they have different base settings (e.g., I think the GH3 at -5 sharpening has less sharpening than the lowest setting for the GH2). As I said, that doesn't mean you can't do SOME sort of comparison.

I'll see if I can put something meaningful together when I have time ... probably not until next week at the earliest.

• @AdamT, This is a lame excuse, man can always compare the camera on neutral profile with 0 settings on both cameras.

• @AdamT So what´s the problem? Is the GH3 alien technology? Choose the picture profiles that resolves best DR (For GH2 Notalgic), after a first test you´ll probably have found out which sharpness settings match and from there you´ll start.

• @Frame It isn't possible to do such a 1:1 comparison because the GH2 and GH3 have different picture profiles and they handle sharpness, contrast, and noise reduction settings differently. I think the best you can do is try to adjust the settings so they look roughly equivalent, but that sort of defeats your purpose.

• @frame, what do you hope to gain in such a tighly controlled comparison test?

• @Stonebat. I am not talking about "nice works". I am talking about a side by side comparisons between GH2/GH3 with corresponding picture profiles/same ISO/same lenses in controlled (means artificially lit) environment. Grey / colour charts. Scenes with high detail. Nobody did it yet. All GH2 must have evaporated when GH3 were carried over the doorsteps. GH3 vs D5MKIII - who needs that. My old anamorphic on my new GH3 - who cares? But I am open to conviction. Chase Jarvis was close, but oops, he chose a GH1 for comparison.

• @Frame Haha. Deja vu. After Gh2 was released, it took about a year to begin seeing some really nice works done by using it. Then people said, "Yeah let's get it!!". It was really last year spring when Gh2 began taking the spotlight. So give a year or so for Gh3. Let it ferment.

• Thank you very much nick :)

• For tight shots (less detail) like facials the Intra setting is very good and you will receive decent QP results. For wider hi detail shots switch to the IPB codecs (like 50M) for better all round quality and less macroblocking.

Nothing can be done about the All-I stuff until its hacked.

• I guys, i got my gh3 and I've been following this forum during the last month. first of all, I'd like to thank anyone who's sharing his knowledge here, and of course the admin. I've been doing just some little tests untill today, and i found a problem with the "MOV 1280x720, 50 p, 72 Mbps, ALL-INTRA" codec. Please look at the leaves at 00:04, you'll see some macroblocking (I uploaded the original file, straight from the camera)

pw is 50p_all-i

ps. i come from DV as a videomaker and this is my first experience as a dlsr/system camera owner.

thanks

• twixtor on the last shot

rokinon 8mm fish & 60p

this was all pretty fast and on the fly, this grade won't be a good way to judge color ; )

• @Eno Yes this is a joke for about 10 weeks now. Nobody worldwide did a serious comparison of GH2/GH3 using close to identical picture profiles and same glass. The best "test" up to now ws somebody filming some goods on a table to compare dynamic range. But he did not use "Nostalgic" on GH2 to compare shadow detail.

• Thanks for the link VK. I found this picture best shows a worst case scenario for GH1/2 much improved by the new GH3 encoder.

http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/GH3-comparator-4.jpg

Did any of the hacks for GH1/2 significantly improve the performance of the encoder in the lowest luma region. My own experience is IQ in lowest luma regions never looked as bad as his GH1 picture but also never as good as the GH3 picture here.

GH3-comparator-4[1].jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 561K
  • now i'm hunting around for suitable lenses for still photography. Any recommendations for portrait and landscape stills for the gh3 would be appreciated.

It is wrong topic for such questions.

Find appropriate lenses category topic with Lenses category and check them.

• My GH3 body is on the way and now i'm hunting around for suitable lenses for still photography. Any recommendations for portrait and landscape stills for the gh3 would be appreciated.

• ah ok i get it. that is your particular portraiture style. not my cuppa tea, i like the more dynamic sharper look myself. each to their own =)

kicking the tripod is a new one for me though lol.

• @jpturbo-

The image was retouched to smooth her skin, etc.

There's more to photography than sharpness, as you might have gathered when no one, gratefully, responded to your sharp but not at all flattering faculty portraits, here

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5483/faculty-portraits#Item_1

You victimized these people.

I especially like the gentleman five down.

Didn't you think a little color correcton to take the red out of his face might have helped?

If you knew anything about photography, you'd know that Julia Margaret Cameron commonly kicked the leg of her tripod to improve a portrait.

The camera is only a tool, and in this case the GH-3 made a more than passable image of a beautiful woman in the idiom of model photography.

The GH-3 did what I needed, and that's the criteria by which we judge cameras.

RBD

• im sorry but i see no relevance in posting up non sharp image, especially when you know its not sharp unless its a cam issue?