Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Art vs. "Art"
  • 161 Replies sorted by
  • Go back to the question: If you really wanted to get to know someone, and you could only ask one question, what would it be?

• who does the alpha protagonist in this short film by lynch remind you of?

• 15% of the people already live in a abusing relationship. The rest don't know what is coming to them.

• lol. That's exactly why babies are illogical.

Now, why do I get hired 85% of the time, despite my seemingly arrogant bullshit. And what the fuck does it have to do with Art?

To eliminate a few obvious answers: It's not talent. All the applicants are talented, more than a few are more talented than me. It actually has absolutely nothing to do with my resume, or my talent, or even me.

• That's precisely how a person with psychopathic tendencies would answer. The question is used by the police as a screening, just like your Lynch question. A "normal" person would try to form some sort of conspiration theory about the relationship between the man and her sister in order to justify the killing.

• So he'd come to the funeral. Babies are illogical.

• How you answer the question will tell us a great deal.

• No but seriously: Why did she kill her sister?

• Who are you and what do you want? (Deepak Chopra)

• You don't get it. It's art.

Some will agree with me, and some won't. But... do you get it?

If you really wanted to get to know somebody, and you could only ask one question, what would it be?

• While I can only speak for myself, I like Lynch in the same way that people like Salvador Dali, it's not really supposed to be entertaining or even make sense, it's the surreal and twisted take on the everyday mundane. I don't necessarily think of it as "art" anymore than taking a photograph can be "art" but it's the skill of manipulation of the viewer that is the "art". Some people find meaning in various forms of art but it's really just a form of forced introspection. If it doesn't speak to you, then it doesn't, but being overly angry might also be a form of the art manipulating you, just a more subconscious way.. :)

• How about his one:

"A woman attends her mother's funeral. There she sees a dashing man across the room and she immediately falls in love with him. But before she gets to talk to him, he is gone. No one at the funeral has a clue to who he was when she asks around and she leaves the funeral without a trace of him. A week later the woman kills her sister. Why?"

• this thread is awesome...

• Are we talking about your strategies to hire people / get hired or are we talking about film?

• I saw Mulholland Drive in my twenties and I remember the feeling of it being a puzzle and the author challenging the audience with clues. Well, I realized this after seeing the extras on the DVD which said: "Clues" or "Keys" or something like that. Being the first film to break the narrative surface for me as a consumer of films (up to this point, films used to be either cool or boring to me), this made me watch the movie over and over again, trying to decipher it. Not that I came to any final conclusions besides the obvious one that the film wasn't about two girls meeting up in a flat :) It was fun though (and maybe a waste of time, but then again so is writing down stuff online sometimes). If Art is something created within a culture that bears meaning, then Lynch succeded in making me more interested in storytelling in general. In the words of Matisse: "Would not it be best to leave room to mystery?"

• You are a very disillusioned person working in the film world. People like you are the reason that I hear the argument that digital is better than film. People like you are the reason that RAW workflows were designed, so that you don't have to have the courage and self-confidence to actually make a decision while shooting. You can just do it in post. People like you are why CG has dominated the current filmmaking world and practicals are hardly used. People like you are why people who enjoy film have to sift through endless waves of straight to Netflix bullshit. People like you are the people on set who I stay away from, because you can't have a discussion with somebody who won't listen to any reason or conversation. You're just set in your ways and think that your opinion is somehow more valid than other peoples.

If you don't like Lynch, that's fine, just don't make such a bold statement as he is an idiot, or your dog tells better stories than he does. Saying things like that just proves how clueless and, well, just plain stupid you are.

• LOL - This is awesome!

I've been using Lynch to determine things I need to know about film people for a long time. You can tell a lot about a person depending on which way they lean. Jarmusch works, too. As do a few others.

It's like the interview question where after they've asked you what your strengths are, they get cute and ask you what your weaknesses are. When they ask, I usually get up and walk out, or attempt to walk out - I always get a 2nd interview. If they asked why I walked out, I say, "You know already know the answer." If they say "No, I don't," I leave again.

I get the gig 85% of the time.

Why? You already know the answer.

• Well dear Shian, I'll tell you a little story. A shoe maker once told Michelangelo (google him) that there was something wrong in some shoes Michelangelo had painted. Next day Michelangelo changed those shoes. Next day the shoe maker, now very proud, told Michelangelo that also the nose of his paint was a little wrong. Michelangelo this time told him: hey, shoe maker, I can take for good your opinions when you talk about shoes, but for the rest keep silence. So very dear Shian, your opinion can be of some (little) value when you talk as a colorist. For the rest.... just follow Michelangelo's advise!

• Dune is a masterpiece (codpiece)!

• Dune is one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

• Oh, come off it, guys. There are always strong and idiosyncratic opinions in the arts. Everybody dishes everybody else. Taking it all as religion, the Pope's ring to kiss, is only for consumers.

• What you are missing in your Banksy MrBW equation, is that Banksy´s work sell for a LOT of money. It´s not entirely clear cut wether MrBW is a work of Banksy or just an insane dude.

This is of course the doubt in the minds of critics (maybe collectors too) and this is where this particular work of Banksy work fall very short – if critique of the Institution (collectors, gallerists, critics e.t.c) is the intention. Not to mention that it´s very easy to build a sense of hype around something. There are examples like the painting ape, the painting child e.t.c. it might work for a small community during a limited time but in the long run; like 30 years of production it will not work. This is also where your "analysis" of Lynch falls very short. You can´t have 30 years of pure hype.

Some people liking something because it´s "odd" or "offbeat" is not really Lynch´s fault, is it? (even if they do it as a fashion) Nor does it mean that there is no substance in what Lynch has created. Leaving stuff open for interpretation will attract and deter all sorts of people - but it is impossible to fake consistency / coherency for such endeavors (working with things that are untold) over an extended period of time.

Individual critique of Art is subjective. However, you can go check Artfacts.net for reasonably accurate statistics on what is good Art and what isn´t. I doubt you´ll find MrBW there.

• David Lynch and Terry Gilliam are completely different filmmakers, and comparing the two of them only disproves your point even further. Gilliam makes fantasy movies, and Lynch makes frightening movies. I don't mean frightening as in horror either. Lynch makes movies about frightening aspects of life that are told through surrealism and unconventional means.

Again, you make something that even compares, and then you can rant about filmmakers.

Don't confuse intelligence and creativeness, with genius. I will give you that many people use the word genius too loosely. I am a David Lynch fan, but I don't say he's genius. Just a damn good filmmaker, who could run circles around your abilities any day of the week.

And if you can't admit that as the truth, then you're hopeless. Anybody, myself included, who hasn't had a feature with a theatrical release could take a lesson from any filmmaker who has, for the most part.

• @brianluce Yeah, but I'm in the right hole. :)