Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Art vs. "Art"
  • 161 Replies sorted by
  • You don't get it. It's art.

Some will agree with me, and some won't. But... do you get it?

If you really wanted to get to know somebody, and you could only ask one question, what would it be?

• Who are you and what do you want? (Deepak Chopra)

• No but seriously: Why did she kill her sister?

• How you answer the question will tell us a great deal.

• So he'd come to the funeral. Babies are illogical.

• That's precisely how a person with psychopathic tendencies would answer. The question is used by the police as a screening, just like your Lynch question. A "normal" person would try to form some sort of conspiration theory about the relationship between the man and her sister in order to justify the killing.

• lol. That's exactly why babies are illogical.

Now, why do I get hired 85% of the time, despite my seemingly arrogant bullshit. And what the fuck does it have to do with Art?

To eliminate a few obvious answers: It's not talent. All the applicants are talented, more than a few are more talented than me. It actually has absolutely nothing to do with my resume, or my talent, or even me.

• 15% of the people already live in a abusing relationship. The rest don't know what is coming to them.

• who does the alpha protagonist in this short film by lynch remind you of?

• Go back to the question: If you really wanted to get to know someone, and you could only ask one question, what would it be?

• Curiousity? They really like to get to know you well?

• This thread must be art, cause I don't get it!

• @oscillian I racked my brain trying to think of the answer to that riddle, exactly like you said, conspiracy and such. I ended up having to look it up for the answer.. Guess I'm not the psychopath my ex says I am.

• While I certainly don't like Mr. Lynchs movies, either, I'd say that at least the images and soundtracks of those movies are of high quality, and that alone is much more than thousands of other pretending-to-be-artwork movies can claim.

So if I was to start a rant about overrated "art", I'd certainly start at much more extreme examples of nihilistic trash that is sold as "art" to spoilt people who cannot recognize the emporer having no clothes.

Like the junk coming from the "Factory" of Andy Warhol.

• Shians dog (called Michelangelo) has the answer. When you really want to get to know somebody, step on his shoes, grab him by his nose and ask him: so you consider yourself a genius artist, ehy? Tell me, whom would you throw into the grave diggers hole, the unknown man, David Lynch or yourself?

• The truth is it doesn't matter what you ask. You'll never really get to know anyone by asking them questions, you only get to see what they want you to see. You might trip them up, and get them to reveal something they don't want known, but for the most part throwing questions at someone won't tell you much. Especially if there's a chance that they might lie for whatever reason, something to hide, or if they're trying to tell you what they think you want to hear.

You have to do something else if you really want to know a person - two things really, but most often you can accomplish them in one single move. It's the exact same thing you have to do to tell a good story. It's the reason Lynch has a career. It's the reason I get hired. It's where all great Art comes from. It's so universal, and useful it's remarkable.

• This 'thread' seriously needs to die before it multiplies more and turns into even more pretentious waste of binary air than it already is.

• This is fucking golden.

• "A woman attends her mother's funeral. There she sees a dashing man across the room and she immediately falls in love with him. But before she gets to talk to him, he is gone. No one at the funeral has a clue to who he was when she asks around and she leaves the funeral without a trace of him. A week later the woman kills her sister. Why?"

This riddle is also used for spotting Replicants.

• this post gave me cancer;

"Now, why do I get hired 85% of the time, despite my seemingly arrogant bullshit. And what the fuck does it have to do with Art?"

Also you refering to "firing" people for having a opinion, kindergarden all over again.

that behavior reminds me of J. Cameron, who did not wanted to be talked to by the "crew"...

this business is about collaboration, with collabortions come different opinions, you banning those opinions, makes you horrible filmmaker...

you firing people is the same as, oh you're filming with a dslr, you're shit, you don't know crap about cinema or cinematography. it just does not make sense, to me.

Art is not something you might like, it's the artist whom makes something, mostly with personal meaning, and choices.

some people might think it's shit, some think it's what you refer to as "genius". it's the story behind the 'product'.

i do wonder why you get hired.. even if you have a opinion on a fellow filmmaker, keep it to yourself

your not marketing yourself as a future potential crew member for most of "us".

• I dont fire them for having an opinion about anything relevant to the work itself. I fire them for being idiots. Idiots will fuck up a shoot faster than a faulty camera. And trying to convince anyone that someone is a genius and that the person they are trying to convince is "just not seeing it" is idiotic.

Cameron didn't want to be talked to by the crew cuz there is a chain of command in place for a reason, and he's got a lot of shit to do, and doesn't need a hundred people eating up his time while the clock is ticking.

I'm not marketing myself at all... I'm creating art.

^^^^^none of this has anything to do with the answer to my question. Well, both questions:

1) Why does my tactic work? 2) What's the best way to really get to know somebody?

The answer is the same for both questions. And it's one of the most zen and poetic things about this thread. If you've been paying close attention.

"Every magic trick...yadda, yadda, yadda... are you watching closely?"