Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Art vs. "Art"
  • 161 Replies sorted by
  • please post the best piece of "art" you've made to convince me why I should give a F*ck about anything your talking about ;)

ps: what's your take on Alejandro Jodorowsky?

• This entire thread is art - you just don't get it.

The ones who are laughing do.

• godard on critics...

• Funny thread. Aside from Twin peaks (which eventually became more weird for weirds sake much to Lynchs disdain) David lynchs films make plenty of sense once you get to understand his film "language" and thats part of the genius. :-P

If you think he has surreal things in his films without prethought or just to make it look like art then perhaps you got lost in the highway? :-D

• To me the most basic common purpose of art is to illicit a reaction. In Shian's case that reaction is rage and hate so I would say that in itself gives David Lynch justification to call himself an artist. Job well done sir.

As for firing someone for their opinion about a movie well... Aren't you the little jumped up tyrant?! I've worked with Cameron and compared to people like you he was a saint to work for.

• Dearest Shian, I would like to understand better how your tecinique to fire people actually works. Let's say, for example, that you have in your crew a good focus puller: does he stop do pull perfect focus if he likes Lynch?
    Do you ask him if he likes Lynch and than you just tell him: "Hey, you like Lynch so you can't pull focus. You are an idiot, since you like Lynch, so you can't pull focus in my crew any more, as you could ruin the shot. You are more dangerous than a broken camera. You are fired!!!".

I am asking becouse I know two very beautiful girls who, once in a while, give me superb B.J.

I have been very much pleased so far for how they perform, but I have not yet controlled them with your LYNCH REVELATION TEST, that you kindly shared with us. What should I do if it happens that one of them - or, worse, both - don't pass the LRT? What if they say they like Lynch?

Should I "fire" them ASAP, as they could ruin the shot?

Or, since I shot raw in this occasions, I could fix "it" in post?

• Ahh, I see that some people are beginning to understand what's happening here, even if mistakenly including me in the equation.

I don't matter... at all.... ever... I am nothing.

Others still aren't "getting it" at all. Art is so disappointed in you. But she patiently waits for you to "get it."

Read and comprehend. Nothing is as it seems.

• I´d like to ask your take on why this is better art than you (or I) will ever make:

Is it a provocation? Hardly.

• I wonder what hole Shian is in? The A-(class)-hole? It is one thing to have conversation or speak out in critical fashion but this emotional rampage with no effort to provide nothing more than the mighty word of selfproclaimed ruler of the universe is a bit sad and somehow suprising aspect of mr. Shian. If a person acting and speaking such as he does here came across me in real life I would be bound to ask whether he forgot to take his medicine for severe personality disorder this morning.

And about Lynches films. Yes they can be confusing. They often are. Particulary the endings. One can still enjoy them?

• @Nino_Ilacqua LOL That was awesome. LRT is the way to go from now on ;) I wount even buy my breakfast from a person that will not pass :D

• @Jasketti

Some research showed that most monkeys (sometimes called "humans" by other researchers) consider themselfs center of universe, no matter the modern education.

So, be softer.

• @Nino_Ilacqua

For some strange reason your text reminded me of Carlin and the way he used to express his thinking.. :-) Thank you, totally made my day!

• Why do you care what I think? Do you realize, by commenting on my opinion you give it validity that it did not possesses initially. My opinion is nothing if expressed in a vacuum. My opinion is nothing on it's own. Just words. You gave them value. I am nothing.

I respect immensely those who have commented only on the thread, and not my opinion. They clearly "get it." They appreciate the art. I appreciate those who have not bothered to comment at all even more. Whether they read it and rolled their eyes, OR if they read it and laughed, both are valid.

Those who felt the need to engage in a conversation about art, even worse, someone's opinion of art clearly do not get it.

How we actually get to know someone has been touched upon, but not WHY. And why my tactic works has only been half answered in the attempt. Do you not see it? You already know the answer.

Are you afraid to answer, for risk of being wrong? Are you a bold artist, or a timid one? Do you resist the need to be artistic because you resent the impetus of creation? Fuck you, I am nothing. CREATE!!

C'MON, MAKE SOME ART, YOU PUSSIES!!!

(Worse yet, most of you are sitting in the interview chair, and don't realize it. But you can't walk out unless you know WHY. It has no power without a why. You cannot effect anything without a cause. This is causality. This is motivation. This is the "why". Why does it work?)

• you must be smoking some good fucking weed.

• +1 @bimdas aaah now I get it!

• Btw, as I remember it is now legal in few states to grow your own :-)

May be first test mode?

• @Shian Thank you for opening my eyes man! Now i can see! If its you on your picture profile, the long jesus like hair might explain it why you can make a blind person see. Like a jesus... on crystal meth.

Thats the most megalomaniac thing i have read in a while. In little parts it was almost entertaining.

But seriously dude, i know you have easy laws in the states, but is it that easy to get prescription free stuff there?

and how can anyone make art intentionally as you try to encourage us? as soon as you try to make art all it becomes is arty. Bresson wrote some nice stuff on that if you cared to read. As soon as it becomes intellectual its a head birth, teadious intellectualism.

i recently watched some shit in a can in a museum not so long ago. mocking? art? who the fuck defines. and does it even fucking matter?

strange thing is: this thread is not stimulating in any way. still i posted, maybe it is art after all??? then i want to thank you for this wonderful experience. although i still feel bored.

• My ex gf once told me when I was getting angry about the BS some sell as art: Stay calm and neutral, watch it closely, sleep over it. Those works you remember next day might be good ones... Very good advice. ;)

• I appreciate those who have not bothered to comment at all even more

And I appreciate the appreciation :) Wait... did I just lose it?

• Saying Lynch sucks is safe. I think he's very talented if not a genius, but his work isn't for everyone and even I don't like or can't watch half of his films. Blue Velvet, Dune, and The Straight Story are classics and are must sees for film fans.

Here's something a little tougher to say....Ridley Scott is vastly overrated. He's all flash and little substance. Blade Runner is one of the most overrated films of all time. It's boring outside of the visuals and the awesome performance of Rutger Hauer. He's not a good writer and/or doesn't recognize great writing.

Most of his works suffer from that with Prometheus being the newest and most glaring example. When the Map guy said, "I'm not here to be your friend, I'm just here for the money", I rolled my eyes that one of the most hacky lines ever written was in this supposed genius filmmakers movie. Followed up with all the other glaring plotholes and bad performances(minus the great Fassbender), proved to me Scott isn't that good outside of his visual aesthetic.

• If we're going down the hating route and lets face it, this thread is all about pure hating, there's one director I despise for his style over substance. Tim Burton.

• Why can't people just say "I don't like director xyz" instead of grandiose proclamations such as "Director xyz is a talentless affront to humanity!"

• Yes!!!!!

Dance, monkeys. DANCE!

And while you're at it make sure to avoid answering the question at all costs. Whatever you do, don't answer the question.

WHY????????

• Well, here's one question I've answered, "Am I going to buy your Color Gear?"

Not any more. Some times my procrastination pays off.