Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GoPro Hero3 , 4K is here in Baby Steps for $399.99!
  • 642 Replies sorted by
  • @filthy Thanks.

It seems they just released a firmware update.

• Battery definitely drains faster with any wifi use (remote or via phone). Seems to heat up the camera body more too. Noticed it's more prone to fogging when in the waterproof housing due to the heat. Also worth mentioning that the wifi feature is borderline useless in and around the water. Repetitive testing has shown that if either the camera or the remote dip below the surface of the water for more than a couple of seconds, the signal is lost. Still a useful tool. Just more limited than originally had hoped.

• The WiFi remote is such a useful device. But does the WiFi remote drain HERO3's battery much faster?

• @Jasketti Thank a lot men , I will looking around for a cheaper wifi TS android phone

• @valpopando You dont want i-anything if you are looking for reasonably priced options but an android phone instead. Any model with wifi and decent touchscreen will do.

• Hey Guys Sorry I'm new in a GoPro area , and I need some helps I'm going to buy the Hero 3 one , cause I need it for drummers music videos , I got already two pana GH2 and I 'll use GoPro for hight shots . So I would want a suggestion for a cheap WIFI monitor device ( Ipad Ipod etc etc ) to control the framing and other operations in a remote way Thanks Val

• Or bungie jumping... nah... too old :(

• Hero3 is so nice that all my friends wanna borrow it from me for their vacation trips. Good thing it's non-destructible... almost. I wanna wear it on my head for a roller coaster.

• @trevmar...ah, I believe the assertion is the title of the article....and the history of gopro. Both the A5S and A7 ambarella's are being used in the Hero3. Makes perfect sense that this will be the next version chip inside the Hero4. As for the advantage of double exposure HDR , remains to be seen , but it must make some difference or else they wouldn't be selling it. The assertion of this going into a new gopro with a new lens comes from gopro doing the same thing with the Hero3. 4K will require a better lens ...maybe even a set of lenses. To quote -

I came away very impressed with the resulting video quality, clearly the age of 4K/UHD is upon us with the availability of inexpensive encoders like these that will make their way into small form factor cameras.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a GoPro Hero 3 Black successor with the A9 SoC inside and those higher framerate capture modes fully enabled at some point in the very near future since the A9 SoC is now available to customers.

• @Kurth I took another look at the article you linked to. Is there anything there which supports an assertion that GoPro will introduce an upgraded package with a new lens, or hdr at 1080/60p...1080/120p...and 720/240p??

What is the utility of a 2-frame HDR when GoPro already have Protune and Cineform and could surely produce a software HDR today, if they wanted to? Actually, those using Protune and Cineform in post would know that there is already no difficulty grading to an "HDR" appearance.

• yep....you're missing hdr at 1080/60p...you're missing 1080/120p.....and 720/240p...and you're missing the idea that this will be put into a completely redesigned package....with a new lens .

• I get the impression that the lens is maxing out on resolution at about 1080T. The 2K7 mode is usefully higher res, but I can't see any noticeable increase in actual resolution going to 4K. Am I missing something?

• GoPro released the Skeleton Housing and Wrist Strap for the GP3 this weekend! Got the Skeleton Housing on the way. :) Has openings for all the ports and mics. Unlimited power AND full protection! :D Now all they need is the 3D Housing and firmware to support it. ;)

• POWER SUPPLY AND HEATING ISSUES with Black and 64GB memory cards

I tore apart a cheap Hero3 battery in order to get a plastic housing that would plug into the back of my Black and allow me to feed it directly with a stabilized power supply instead of via a 5V USB supply. The resultant maximum front panel temperature dropped from 63 to 55 centigrade when recording 2.7K cin, 24T with the latest software.

Cards which consistently failed to span when the Black was fed from a 5V USB supply, and the front panel reached over 60 degrees C, will now fill without failure. Have been running tests in a Frame, on repetitive 3-hour cycles (3 hours is the maximum capacity of the card, and also the energy in one of my GH2 / FZ200 batteries (BLC12) powering the whole caboodle...

Interesting...

• @BBT That is mostly fixed. Had to pull the battery once in the past two weeks. Which is much better than before, IMO...

• @trevmar The issue I was having was the sequence of turning the camera and battery on. If I turned the battery on before the camera, the camera would instantly lock up. It was fine the other way around. Haven't messed with it much since the update, since the D7100 ACR update came the same day. :3

• @BBT I haven't seen any external power hiccups since the update. I have been running two H3BE during testing the cards. One has a dummy battery pack (which I built by pulling apart a cheap battery) and the other charges from USB with a custom low-loss cable I made. The one charging from USB has remained solid as a rock through maybe a dozen complete 3hour card-filling Protune sessions. So I am not sure I will put my battery-replacing rig into use, but stay with USB power (it needs 1 amp at 5.1V)(the voltage depends on your USB cable loss).

• I've had 2x 64GB Sandisk Ultras since launch and no problems with them. No real problems with the cameras, either, beyond the old locking up in low light in photo mode, and some hiccups with external power.

• I have a Sandisk card, too :(

• @trevmar Forgot to mention that I use protune as well 2.7-no problems before and after update. That was just a test I use battery pack if need full card recorded - handier but thanks for advice.

• @Fran_Guidry Thanks for the link... Interesting... I think that IOmeter is a better tester, though. It's pretty straightforward, and allows continuous testing of any card, with the worst case value logged (which can be scary). I wish I had seen that thread on Rambo's forum before I bought all the Sandisk cards... Oh well, have ordered some Samsung PRO now... (which are not perfect, by the way).

• @konjow The problem occurs most with Protune. I was using 24T 2.7K. If you connect a 1 amp USB charger (such as an Apple iPad or the GoPro chargers) then you will be able to record the whole of the card.

• I just did test (after update) 2.7 25p on my 64gb sandisk ultra - Spans nicely 1h20min until battery was dead.I got samsung pro few weeks ago I lost it already and Im not sorry about it.(write speed test was about 7mbs when sandisk about 4 times more )