Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GoPro Hero3 , 4K is here in Baby Steps for $399.99!
  • 642 Replies sorted by
  • @paulo_teixeira Not sure about the original full quality one, but Vimeo has one the same size as in the above link. Good chance that it's the original released to the internet, since it was uploaded by GoPro. Still too compressed to get a good idea, but there are a couple of static scenes with GH2 levels of detail.

Just go to the Vimeo page, hit the Download button below the video, and download Original .MP4 file.

• The helicopter and zip line shots in the promo video were shot in 2.7k, this allowed cropping for framing, angles and some stabilisation, export was 1080.

• One thing cool about the wireless function being built in is that now I don't have to buy the LCD back pack. I can just monitor it from my phone. Actually I will be able to monitor both the GH3 and the GoPro from my phone.

I have a lot of events where I am the scorekeeper for so I can't watch the whole thing. I can setup both cameras together and record wide and tight shots simultaneously. I will be able to see the action in near real-time from the scores table.

Having both cameras will also allow me to shoot in 1080p @ 30 FPS or 24 FPS with the GH3 which has less compression than the 60 FPS options. Then I can shoot @ 60 FPS or 120 FPS with the GoPro for slow motion.

I love the idea of shooting at 2.7K @ 30 FPS and cropping for stabilization.

I am really starting to think that this combination will be the ultimate in single cameraman live sports broadcasting.

• @mpgxsvcd This would be my first action cam, and I’m learning more about it. HD3’s narrow fov would be wider than Lumix 14mm 2.5. If subjects are more than 5 meters away, they’d look tiny on the screen. Also ISO performance will get some hit since the narrow fov relies on sensor cropping like GH2’s ETC. Also the battery won’t last long with Wi-Fi enabled. The 2.7K mode can use only ultra wide fov that covers 190 degrees.

HD3 seems just a first person perspective action cam for capturing close proximity action + wide background.

• The GP2's Narrow FOV was pretty decent as far as the focal length goes. Looked like a regular lens. Didn't really do any range testing to see how things like people disappear the further they get, but it looked very realistic when mounted to the front of my car, as far as how things appeared vs the wider FOVs.

• GP's narrow fov covers 90 degrees horizontally. I'm guessing it's equivalent to fov from Lumix 7-14mm at 9 or 10mm.

• @stonebat I calculated it once, and it was somewhere in the low/mid 20s for 35mm. Compared it to the FOV on my Nikon D7000 + 17-55mm after the crop factor. Can probably do it again when I get home.

BTW, there's an app for Android users to control the Wifi BacPac of the GP2, which will probably work exactly the same as the GP3: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.tavarn.remotego

Hopefully GoPro will have the official Android app released when the GP3 ships, but if not, this app supposedly works well enough. Gonna give it a shot tonight.

• @BlueBomberTurbo Please do so. I'm curious about its narrow, normal, wide fov because they look all wide angles to me.

• I love Narrow mode. :) I can stick the GP2 on a steadicam with an external monitor, and beyond the shifting exposure, it looks like any other normal DSLR-type video. Very little distortion, too, since it's only using the center of the lens. Probably less chromatic aberration for the same reason, though I haven't looked for it. Hopefully the GP3 has less noise than the GP2 in Narrow mode.

• @stonebat

I am getting the 35-100mm F2.8 and I have the 14mm F2.5 and 25mm F1.4. Those will work perfectly for my tighter shots when standing about 6-30 feet from the climbers that I film. Then the go pro will give me a wide angle shot as well.

It will also be nice to shoot still images while still recording video.

I am really hoping that my 14mm F2.5 matches up well with the GO Pro @ F2.8. Depth of field will be different but that won't matter as much for what I do.

I plan on leaving the GoPro recording indefinitely and specifically focusing on controlling the GH3. Once the GoPro is lined up with the GH3 I won't have to mess with it.

What I really need is a hotshoe directly to GoPro adapter. All I can find are hot shoe to tripod and then tripod to GoPro. Any ideas?

I am going to try out the GH2 + GoPro 1 tonight.

I am getting the 35-100mm specifically for the sport climbing season where I am typically 50-100 feet from the climbers and looking straight up. I really need some sort of IS for those videos.

• @mpgxsvcd Hmmm... http://adamelmakias.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/IMG_0887-1020x1360.jpg

Remember the wide FOV. Unless the GP is mounted high on the hot shoe location, you'll also get the camera in the shot.

• Some good information on the bandH photo site. It appears that you can use all previous back pack adapters. That is great because I had all of them and I didn't want to have to sell them.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/895414-REG/GoPro_HERO3_Black_Edition.html

Wearable and mountable camera with ultra-sharp f/2.8 6-element aspherical glass lens supports immersive, wide angle capture of your favorite activities 

Captures video at 2.7K (30 fps) Cinema, 4K (12 fps) Cinema, 1440p (48 fps), 1080p Full HD (30 fps), 960p HD (100 fps), 720p HD (120 fps) and 480p WVGA (240 fps) 

Professional quality 5, 7 and 12-megapixel photo capture with 30 fps burst mode 

Built-in Wi-Fi enables remote control via Wi-Fi Remote (included) or live video preview and remote control on smartphones and tablets running the free GoPro app 

Wearable Wi-Fi Remote is waterproof down to 10' (3 m), features a 600' (180 m) range, and can control up to 50 cameras at a time 

Rugged housing is waterproof to 197' (60 m) and captures sharp images above and below water 

Compatible with all GoPro mounts for attaching to gear, body, helmets, vehicles and more 

Compatible with LCD Touch BacPac and second generation Battery BacPac 

Backwards compatible with older generation BacPacs 

Advanced camera settings include video looping, continuous photo, picture in video, Protune, manual white balance controls and more 

Port for optional accessories supports 3.5mm Stereo Mic Adapter and Composite A/V Adapter (sold separately) 

Basic mounts and hardware included for attaching to helmets, gear and more 

Supports microSD cards up to 64GB 

Micro HDMI output 

Enhanced audio performance supports AAC audio compression with AGC 

Picture in video capable of shooting a photo every 5, 10, 30 or 60 sec while you record video 

Time-lapse video in 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30 or 60 second intervals 

Continuous photo at 3, 5 or 10 photos/sec 

Burst shooting modes (photos/sec): 3/1, 5/1, 10/1, 10/2, 30/1, 30/2, 30/3 

Professional quality low-light performance is 2x better than previous model 

Image processing is 2x faster than previous model 

Auto, Cam Raw, 3000K, 5500K and 6500K white balance modes 

Camera supports up to 45 Mbps high video bitrate capture (H.264) 

Four red recording LED indicators and one blue wireless status LED indicator 

• @mpgxsvcd Interesting. Wonder how the LCD BacPac will work, since the new one has a touch screen. Might be a chance to get a cheap Battery BacPac, though. Just have to spray paint it black! :3

• @BlueBomberTurbo

Thanks for the info. However, I don't think most of the m4/3s lenses are really that big. The 14mm and 25mm probably won't be visible. For the 35-100mm I might need to mount it further out. However, it won't be as useful with that. I will probably just mount it on the wall in that case.

The mount I have right now lifts the gopro up a significant distance. I can always crop to 720p as well. I am fine with that.

• @BlueBomberTurbo

I think all old accessories will work exactly as they did. The new ones just offer more functionality. I hope my old housing will still work as well.

• Here's a CamRaw sample - looks nice and flat:

• @mpgxsvcd Frankly I have no idea what you are talking about. I'm going to be just a brainless GP helmet or headband guy. Haha.

GP has a fisheye lens. Uncorrected projection from the lens might give "ultra wide" fov. In-body corrected projection (non-rectilinear) would give "normal" fov. Sensor cropped projection would give "narrow" fov that is wider than Lumix 14mm. That's all I know.

• @mpgxsvcd Did you consider LX7 or RX100 or G5 as B-cam? G5 is only $500.

• @stonebat

Yes I looked at all of those. However, they are simply too big to effectively mount on the GH3 hot shoe and still shoot stable hand held video with both. The GP3 still might be to big/heavy for it. However, it is now the best option if anything can do it.

I really wanted to cover the wide angle through telephoto at F2.8 and still have the option for F1.4 at about 25mm. All with 1080p @ 60 FPS and 720p @ 120 FPS and wifi for all video. The GH3 + GoPro is the only thing that can give me that and still retain decent quality.

I know that the GoPro video will not look as good as the GH3. That is fine I won't use the GoPro footage as much. It will still be nice to have a second wide angle camera on it to get those unexpected moments.

I guess it is all about flexibility. I think this combination is going to give me flexibility that simply was not possible before.

• Looks like Best Buy has a link up for the GoPro3 Black as well.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/GoPro+-+HERO3+HD+Flash+Memory+Camcorder+-+Black/6571689.p?id=1218757813679&skuId=6571689

I wonder if GoPro will ship from their stock first? Or it will it be like Panasonic and the smallest most obscure shops will ship first.

• You've used GP1. I've never used any GP. So you must be knowing what you are doing. Have fun~!

After watching this vimeo video captured with GP2, I've been thinking about getting one. Glad GP3 is here!!!

• I'm waiting for Black Friday deal :)

• I would buy one if it did 2K at 24p, why not? Maybe someone can take the lens off and make an adapter for m43 lenses. I would pay the price of the camera to get an interchangeable lens system.

• @DrDave

You are in luck it does 2.7K @ 24 FPS and 1080p(AKA 2K) @ 60, 48, and 24 FPS.

• @BlueBomberTurbo I can't believe I missed that yesterday. The search function must not have got it during the time I was looking.