Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GoPro Hero3 , 4K is here in Baby Steps for $399.99!
  • 642 Replies sorted by
  • Screengrab of 1080 60p

image.jpg
    2034 x 1301 - 555K
  • night shot with hero 3

believe it ? improvement on hero 2 ? Im not sure if the white balance is set to auto or manual

• I've resisted for years, but now i'm definitely gonna get one. It's just a nice little tool that I can see a million uses for on different jobs.

• @subco I canceled my preorder from GoPro site. B&H is taking preorder. Hopefully Adorama does too. Usually official videos look great. No I'm not expecting a lot from action cam at the price. My friends who own HD2 just wanna have fun :)

• I'm sorry, but this doesn't qualify as 4K. If it did, you'd have to call the Sony A77 a 6K camera (which it isn't). 12FPS is not useable for anything commonly shot.

• This is practically 1080p60/50/48/30/25/24 cam. What other action cam supports it?

• 4k is a marketing opportunity Sangye, the GoPro machine runs on this stuff, It sells enough cameras to keep reinvesting in awesome little cams like the HD3 . They just went after a little more of the Pro crowd with this one.

• @mpgxsvcd

It would be a whole different thing to make a Pro video camera this inexpensive.

This doesn't make any sense. All they would need is a bigger sensor. The data pipe-line is already equal or better than a C100, F3, AF-100, ect...

• Stu Maschwitz, Philip Bloom, Vincent Laforet, Tom Guilmette and many more Pro's are raving about this camera, yeh they were given one free, all attendees at the launch were. Stu especially never posts BS, and he's very impressed with the performance of the cam.

• Pocket-Lint hands-on review.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/48038/hands-on-gopro-hd-hero-3-black-video-camera-review

A battery lasting less than one hour. Wi-Fi will use more battery...

It is possible to buy a larger battery pack, which comes with a thicker housing too, and we'd definitely recommend doing so - though this will increase the cost of the purchase.

How to interpret that?

• Easy stonebat, most of the reviewers know nothing about POV cams or have any experience using one. GoPro just spent hundreds of 1000's of $'s reducing the size and weight and this guy wants to add it back again and pay more.

• I just wanna know more about it. I won't cry :)

I got it what it meant "a thicker housing". It's a new battery backpac that extends battery capacity.

http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories/hero3-battery-bacpac

• Yep, at the expense of weight and size, but if you need it, you need it. You can turn wifi off after framing with a smartphone so this will save life of the camera battery and then maybe not need the extra pack. All the backpacks cause vibration issues for me due to the extra weight so I don't use them. However, the new HD3 case has had the fork prongs beefed up that the mounts attach to, so that may improve stability.

• put my 2 x HD2s on line for sale last night, within 30 minutes there were 10 others, luckily mine just sold for a good price $225 each, I think there will be hundreds of Gopros for sale as people try to offload to get into new version so price for HD2 will be pretty cheap in coming weeks..

• Yeap. Something like new HD2 50% discount on Black Friday.

• seeing $200 used HD2's - $75 for just Hero *stonebat... HD2 $125 new! if they get 50% discounted

• No thanks. I want HD3 :)

• I never had interest in a Go Pro Here camera before but version 3 is an entirely different story. Obviously we'll need more footage but it does seam like it'll be pretty incredible for $400.

• Paulo, HD1and HD2 both had pretty good video if used correctly. The HD1 actually had much better 1080p than the HD2, the reverse is true for 720p. This was due to how the resampling was different and the fact that HD2 1080 was 720 up scaled and the HD1 720 was 480p up scaled, we did the tests to prove it. The HD1 1080 was sampled direct from the first pixel binned process, details and res were very good.

Of course HD2 improved the poor white balance of the HD1 and has a much less saturated image. Both still produce nice images, especially now at the runout prices. HD1 at $100 I'm happy to lose a few in the water anytime, $400 on the HD3 ......ouch

• @Rambo You think it´s possible to mix footage from GH2 and GoPro 3 without seeing big differences? Wanna attach one to an ar.drone for aerial shoots.

• Not too good a price in the Netherlands: EUR 450.

• The triumph of marketing... that Hero3 promo video combined with the Baumgartner jump probably make for one of the greatest propaganda feats in history. With RedBull/GoPro behind this stuff its clear that the quest for adrenaline sells.

• Kihlian, I think the ultra wide angle might give it away, but certainly the details and DR is closer now than what was possible in HD1 and 2. This is why broadcast/pros etc are embracing this new model.

• At first I went on Vimeo to see if the video was uploaded their so I can download it but the best version is 213MB which is about the size of the video if you ripp the 1080p version off YouTube so I can clearly see that it's not the original. I then gave up and decided to put the YouTube link into Google search just to see what some websites are saying about the video and all of a sudden, I find a site that has supposedly the original to download. Basically, this is probably the actual file that was uploaded to YouTube. Me finding that was completely unexpected. Sorry if someone already pointed to where you can download the original file. http://fil.io/FL82vTNAs/Footage%20from%20GoPro%20HERO3