Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2: MJPEG 100Mbps Low Light 1080p Settings
  • UPDATE: This MJPEG patch is compatible with the latest version of PTool 3.65d. The standard non-anamorphic version is also included in Flow Motion v2, which is available for download here:

http://www.personal-view.com./talks/discussion/3337/gh2-flow-motion-v2.02-720p-reliability-in-auto-exposure-modes/p1

As numerous GH2 owners have discovered, Vitaliy's recent updates to PTool have enabled the newly hacked GH2 to sustain remarkably high bitrates in MJPEG HD mode. What's even more impressive is that the GH2 maintains error-free recording stability at bitrates significantly exceeding those that can be used reliably on the GH1. And where the GH1 struggled to produce FHD-size videos in MJPEG mode, the GH2 can be readily patched to record in any MJPEG frame size, all the way up to 1920x1080p.

The MJPEG encoder's most valuable asset has always been its ability to record each video frame as a JPEG-encoded key frame. This enables it to track high-speed action at 30fps without any of the smeared motion artifacts that plague low-bitrate AVCHD videos. To produce high-quality, detailed key frames at 1080p, however, an Intra-frame encoder must work at higher average bitrates than the GH1 was able to sustain. With PTool's support of the GH2, it is now possible to use MJPEG HD mode to produce reliable 1080p videos at an average bitrate of 100Mbps in sharply-focused, highly-detailed scenes.

The MJPEG encoder also excels in difficult low-light conditions where the AVCHD encoder cuts down its bitrate to minimum quality levels. On the GH1, MJPEG HD mode could be relied on to produce bitrates over 24Mbps even in dimly-lit scenes. With patch settings optimized for consistent bitrate production, the GH2 can maintain high bitrates of up to 100Mbps across the entire exposure range, producing high-quality images under any and all illumination levels. Combined with the GH2's low-noise image sensor, MJPEG HD mode can render clean, gradable images in conditions that the GH1 would have found hopelessly underexposed.

MJPEG image quality with exposure bracketing

Below are 100% crops of two series of four bracketed exposures I took in MJPEG HD mode, patched to 1920x1080 resolution. For each shot, I set up the GH2 on a tripod with a fixed aperture at ISO160, and varied the shutter speed from 1/60 to 1/500 second, producing videos bracketed at one-stop exposure steps. Frame grabs were then composited in Photoshop and saved at maximum JPEG image quality. These scenes were selected as typical outdoor subjects shot in natural lighting, as opposed to shots of extremely detailed foliage. The GH2 exhibited no reliability issues whatsoever, and recorded all videos at impressively consistent bitrates of around 90Mbps.

iPad compatible MJPEG VGA video mode

In addition to MJPEG HD mode, recent versions of PTool have provided patches for adjusting the frame size and image quality of MJPEG VGA mode as well. Unlike the HD 16:9 aspect ratio of HD mode, VGA video mode records with an SD aspect ratio of 4:3. I've optimized VGA mode to produce 960x720 videos at consistent average bitrates of about 30Mbps. These videos are compatible with the maximum-quality download specifications of the Apple iPad, with its 1024x768 screen resolution.

GH2 Patch Considerations

Patches for the GH2 are currently in active development by numerous testers, and Vitaliy has updated PTool several times with exciting new features. The patches in the downloadable PTool INI settings file below have been systematically tested using PTool version 3.61d and have produced no reliability issues to date. This patch is designed and tested only for the fastest Class 10 SDHC cards currently available.

Additional points of interest:

* The 100Mbps GH2 Low Light MJPEG 1080p Patch is compatible with all GH2 cameras, and is switchable between NTSC and PAL modes.

* I recommend using the camera to format your SD card at the start of each shoot, to guard against SD card memory fragmentation.

* Peak bitrates are obtained only with sharply-focused, highly-detailed subject matter. Average scenes will produce average bitrates.

* High bitrate MJPEG videos may not play back reliably in-camera or on low-powered computers.

* If shutter speed is set longer than the frame rate (e.g. slower than 1/30 at 30p), low-quality video files may be produced.

*** WARNING ***

The 100Mbps GH2 Low Light MJPEG 1080p Patch will not work properly with previous versions of PTool. My thanks once again go to Vitaliy Kiselev, for his pioneering work on PTool, and to cbrandin for his invaluable Stream Parser tool.

The best way to insure that you have the latest PTool release is to download it directly from the following link:

Download PTool here: https://www.personal-view.com/faqs/gh2-hack/ptool-software

100Mbps GH2 Low Light MJPEG 1080p Patch Settings File:

For use with PTool v3.62d and above, I've prepared anamorphic as well as standard aspect ratio settings files:

* For use with standard lenses, the standard patch will produce two types of MJPEG 30p videos:

HD mode: 1920x1080 HD videos, with peak bitrates up to 100Mbps.
    VGA mode: 960x720 iPad-compatible videos, with peak bitrates up to 30Mbps.

* For use with anamorphic lenses, the anamorphic patch supports two different squeeze ratios:

HD mode: 1920x810 videos for 1.33X anamorphic adapters, with peak bitrates of 100Mbps.
    VGA mode: 2160x810 videos for 2X anamorphic adapters, with peak bitrates of 100Mbps.

These zipped INI files can be used to apply complete patch settings to firmware loaded into PTool. To use, unzip the INI file into the same folder as the PTool application. Launch PTool and load the firmware for GH2 v1.0. The settings contained in the INI file will automatically be installed in the "C" button at the bottom of the PTool main window.

Note that with the following PTool Settings files, you may at any time re-install the original Panasonic GH2 v1.0 firmware into the camera. You may also copy each type of patched or original firmware to separate SD cards, and use them to quickly switch between patches as often as you like.
    Mausoleum Bracket.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 631K
    Monument Bracket.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 689K
    100Mbps GH2 Low Light MJPEG 1080p Patch.zip
    474B
    100Mbps GH2 MJPEG Low-Light Anamorphic Patch.zip
    469B
  • 112 Replies sorted by
  • HI I know it is an old thread but I wondered does this mean it is recording in 422 in MJPEG mode? And also how do I get it to shoot in 25fps instead of 30fps?

Thanks.

• is manual exposure available in VGA mode??

• good Day! is there any way or patch that i can play mpeg in my gh1?

• Are you sure @vadimvadimman ? I thought frame rate changes in MJPEG mode weren't true frame rates, they're dropped frames. Also I thought the GH2 didn't have 4:2:2 color vs the GH1 does have 4:2:2 in it's MJPEG, though the GH2 does allow higher resolution.

I've only done one shoot in MJPEG but the lack of spanning and resolution limits kept me from doing more. I do agree that in low light/low iso the MJPEG blacks are much nicer, deeper, vs AVCHD, but in high/iso low light the AVCHD has much less noise/FPN.

• Today I did tests using Driftwood Cluster X between AVCHD and MJPEG and found out that AVCHD gives me only 8bit footage while MJPEG 16bit with much higher bitrate. One more reason for me to use MJPEG over AVCHD.

• By the way you can change frame rate of MJPEG mode.

• @LPowell

Do i just load both firmwares (Flowmotion and the anamorphic hack) into ptool and "load" both versions, than save the new firmware? Is that enough?

"Flow Motion v2 comes with the non-anamorphic version of my 100Mbps MJPEG patch. You can replace that with the anamorphic 100Mbps MJPEG patch without disturbing any of the AVCHD settings. Using PTool, simply replace all FM2 settings found under the "MJPEG Movie Mode" header with the anamorphic settings, and save a new firmware file to disk."

// edit: i just edited the ini file guess it works now. Thanks anyway.

• Could one adjust the distance of the 3D lens to cover more of the sensor?

• @lpowell thanks for the explanation. by the way, do you plan to release any new patch settings? i recall reading something was potentially "in the works" in another thread (though perhaps a reference at the time to fm2.02)...

• @hay When you set the camera to MJPEG HD mode, the clip duration is estimated by the amount of video that can fit into MJPEG's 2GB file size limit. It does not indicate how much space you have left on the SD card until you're down to less than 2GB.

• @lpowell i loaded fm2.02 via 3.66d ptool. when using manual movie mode/motion jpeg/HD, my gh2 display indicates (at all times, regardless of the number of clips shot) that only 2:39 remains, regardless of what sd card is inserted - 64gb sdxc or 16gb sdhc. ive tried reinstalling the patch and reformatting, etc, to no avail. should i be using an older version of ptools? have you seen this issue before? i like the mjpeg image, but would like accurate remaining time on the camera display. maybe this was mentioned before but i missed something...thx for the help

• @eminogrande Flow Motion v2 comes with the non-anamorphic version of my 100Mbps MJPEG patch. You can replace that with the anamorphic 100Mbps MJPEG patch without disturbing any of the AVCHD settings. Using PTool, simply replace all FM2 settings found under the "MJPEG Movie Mode" header with the anamorphic settings, and save a new firmware file to disk.

• I did some tests and it seems that Gh2 use for .mov files rec601 (SD) not rec709 (HD) color profile. I heve not tested vimeo but I not think they use rec601. The computers and I think the new plasma, led and lcd tv with HD uses rec709. Rec 601 is standard for < 720p , Rec 709 is for > 720p. So this is a bug in GH2 camera. (Is possible in post-production to convert from one to another.) Maybe we will see a hack which has MJPEG 4:4:4 and Rec 709.

• @LPowell is there a flow motion patch including the anamorphic 1.33 so i can play around with 24p and mjpeg 30p mode - both with peak 100mbps?

• Thanks a lot @LPowell - i guess i "just" trust you in that. I basically get both points. I will try to use 800 ISO or less for my next shots and post the result here.

best regards emin

• @eminogrande At ISO 3200 on either the GH1 or GH2, MJPEG is definitely going to be noisy. With an anamorphic adapter, I'd recommend shooting at ISO 800 or less.

MJPEG 1.33x anamorphic mode has two advantages over post-processing 24p anamorphic footage:

1. Convenience - the camera does the 1.33x horizontal stretch, producing square pixels natively.

2. Compression quality - the camera stretches the frame before it's encoded into MJPEG format. The drawback of stretching the frame in post is that you're working with compressed 8-bit color data.

• Hey,

i've a question. I use a 1.33x adapter and your anamorphic patch. For me, it seams like the image is much noisier than before.

I read somewhere, that this is "normal" and i have to reduce the noice later with my editing program (i just have premiere pro). Is that right or wrong? Sorry if im asking stupid questions.

Please check my video:

Also, i dont 100% the advantage of using MJPEG instead of AHVCD 24p mode (which is much more cinematic) - is there an easy explanation why i should use MJPEG?

Isnt it better to do the post processing (in example exporting the image in 1080p, 1.33 PAR via Adobe Premiere Pro) than let it be done by the camera (cropping the picture to 1920x810).

Hope this is the right place to ask this kind of questions.

Best regards Emin

• Fantastic, thanks for all of your help!

• @csync Yes, and these same 100Mbps MJPEG settings are included in Flow Motion v1.1

• Are these settings compatible with 1.1 and v3.64d?

• Its quite straightforward, but yes a wiki from the testers will probably appear soon. Take a look at Lpowells low light setting which are good or my higher bitrate/quality mjpeg settings in some of the Quantum patches (dont forget to put it back to 720 width/height =1920 x 1080 and 480 width and height =1280 x 720). Basically you have four tables for Quality (bitrate) and four tables for, well, Quantisation.

My hunch has been that E1/F1 pushes Q chrominance and E4/F4 pushes Q luminance. Lessen the table values for better Quantisation (closer to 0 is better quality low compression but requires more bitrate in Quality setting, higher table values = higher compression, poorer quality but uses less bitrate).

Judge allocating bitrate in the quality settings according to how low your tables go. Too high on the Quality bitrate/low on the tables will hinder recordings/stop them prematurely.

Use jpegsnoop (search google for downloadable proggie) to look at the jpegs produced by the GH2 (when you hit record in mjpeg mode a first frame snapshot is produced - analyse this jpeg with jpegsnoop to see the quality/quant info).

If your recording never gets past the snapshot youre using too low a table setting/too high a Quality setting! Good luck!

• It is possible to create in the wiki a GH2 Hacking FAQ for the Mjpeg? A setting scheme like it exist for the AVCHD will be for the newbies of the Ptool like me very usefull. (I decided to wayt for the 1.1 version before playing around). Would be nice to have the timelapse settings too.

• Second this! If you have RAW, why not shoot RAW? Compared to high-rate video, the space needed is still small…

• No, the MJPEG patch settings are completely separate from the camera's still photo JPEG settings. I recommend shooting stills in RAW mode.

• @LPowell Thank you for the explanation! Oh, does this MJPEG tunning also improve the photo JPEG quality? Or is there a way to do this? Because many people complaining that the camera JPEG is not too good.