Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Settings, Series 5: Cluster v6 ULTRA RELIABLE, Mysteron, Crossfire, Quantum 9B, Sedna...
  • 1029 Replies sorted by
  • Did some Card Span Tests with Cluster V6 and I thought Someone may find the results useful. I Tested sandisk 16gb 30mb and 45mb cards and a sandisk 128gb 45mb cards with some intresting results.

Both the 30mb and 45mb Cards Recorded fine and Both Spanned fine using HBR Pal but Both Stopped with no Span using 24H now the intresting thing is the 128Gb 45mb card Spanned fine with HBR for 2 hours and Spanned Fine using 24H for 2 hours Also.

I dont understand why the 128Gb 45mb spans with 24H but the 16Gb 45mb does not.

Last Card I tested just for fun and did not think It would work on 24H a Kingstone 16Gb Class 4 ?Mb Recorded fine in HBR and 24H but No Span but I did not expect it to.

All Tests with a Standard 14-42mm lens set at 42mm

• @moseslee35 that looks like 16mm anamorphic, incredible. Which anamorphic are you using by the way? Looks like the Kowa Prominar. It's got a 2.78 aspect, so I'm assuming it's a 2x cropped in at the edges. I fucking love anamorphics :D

• @feha actually for this on it was A priority at 4, 160 ISO and exposure +1/3 @driftwood - ok will do one tomorrow.

• @mjfeliciano They all work with both. However, the 3.65d improvement was to allow 'straight off button' record in 720p mode with b frames. Version 3.64D required you to first record on another setting before 720p with b frames would work. Hope that answers your question.

3.65D is all you need - don't worry. :-)

• @driftwood It says on page one "ALL Settings require Panasonic firmware v1.11 & ptools 3.64D '200212' OR 3.65d required". How do I know which settings require ptools 3.64d and which ones 3.65d?. Does that still matter or have they been redone so they work with either version of ptools?

• @janis , great video, nice movements. What was the mode manual ? As i don't see any strobe on your HBR/25 video , shutter speed ?
    I like Cluster v6, ultimate one for my need's, thank you @driftwood.

• @janis Could you do me a favour - record a similar scene to the one above using 'Nebular' which is defo better at HBR/1080i and then send me a small mts file where any/if any macroblocking happens? We will be improving the 12/15 variation as we go along and I do need to change a few things on that setting for version 7 which I am aware of.

Also @janis can you edit your thread comment with the video in to state its the 12/15 GOP variation. Thanks

• @driftwood it was 12/15 downloaded and installed with no changes

• @janis Now thats a test! Which version of Cluster v6 was it? 12/15 or the 6GOP variation? Thanks for showing me this. We'll be looking into HBR mode much much more in version 7 in a few weeks time.

@moseslee35 That's bloody lovely! Good job. :-)

• @oscillian great wedding video and it's good to see another Swede on this forum!

• Did a test video with Cluster V6 12/15 GOP variation and HBR 25fps.

This was also first real practice with Wondlan carbon stabiliser. Looks like environment and movement stretched compression to its limits.

• @moseslee35, welcome, and great looking footage!

• 5.1 Has been my favorite so far.

• hi all. first post. cluster 5.1 globular with anamorphic. thanks to @driftwood

• @driftwood

Thanks!

First broadcast credit for a hacked GH2 -- not my first broadcast credit. A decade ago I was an on-air guy (weekly business program that I hosted and then later became the producer), and after that I produced all sorts of crappy political TV ads.

• That's a good job there Andrew, very professional @onionbrain. You have a natural voiceover timbre - rich and calming. The images are nicely cut and does the job very well. I bet the cliient was more than pleased. Congrats on your first broadcast credit - theyll be many more to come. :-)

• Although I've got a number of projects in production, below is the first actual TV broadcast credit I can offer for a hacked GH2 -- filmed weeks back with Cluster V4...

This was a challenging project on a range of levels. The subject matter can be difficult for audiences, the lighting at the facility was a disaster, and space was cramped.

On the positive side -- they knew exactly what they wanted -- a general "name ID" piece -- and that's exactly what it is.

It won't win any awards for beauty -- but it is, perhaps, the essence of a hacked GH2 "guerilla" production. Equipment used was a hacked GH2, one thirty-two year old Nikkor lens, and a tripod. Graphics done in After Effects, audio added in Premiere Pro. That's it. And, the good news is that it's not the worst thing on American television.

I haven't worked with local cable systems in about four years -- and was shocked to discover that dinosaur Comcast -- who was the same from 1988 up until about four years ago -- actually accepts FTP of HD content. Wow -- no beta tapes involved!

The ad was produced in 720/60p. In theory -- in theory -- 720p looks better on 1080i sets than 1080i looks on 720p sets.

So -- there's the first broadcast credit I can present from a hacked GH2. The ad isn't beautiful -- but it is for a good cause. In about two weeks I'll be producing another spot for another charity -- this one should offer happy looking volunteers with cute animals -- so yeah -- I'll try to win a beauty contest with that production.

• @Driftwood "The new Canis Majoris Intra settings though at 24p just kill anything out there... COMING SOON!"

Wow I like the sound of that!! You are da man!! Even better than Sedna AQ1 A? hard to imagine...cant wait to try that!!! BTW In recent tests I found the Sedna Q20 (Max Detail) to also be STELLAR...slightly less sharp and detailed than the AQ1(Max detail) but very smooth in panning in hi contrast areas outdoors...while still retaining incredible quality.

• @ShoMo I've enjoyed playing with these clusters of GOPs. Both the v6's are excellent - 12/15 'DREWnet' gives you a bit more room on the card, 6 GOP variation (Nebular) takes it 25% more bitrate further with qualative improvements - and will eat your sdcards a tad more - but not much more - 10Mbps more on average :-)

The new Canis Majoris Intra settings though at 24p just kill anything out there... COMING SOON!

• Fuckin excellent @conscius, well done. Cluster 'Nebular' makes the grade!

• My CLUSTER v6 'Nebular' test:

This is with color correction. 14-140mm lumix lens 24H -2-1-2-2

• @Driftwood

Man, so many great settings, nice work!

One quick question, what is the best variable bitrate hack you have to offer right now? I am doing mainly docu style but also some commercials... Any quick hint or tip?

• @bencorwin Its getting the right matrix and weight sorted... we'll be working extremely hard to achieve the best HBR we can in version 7. But its pretty darn good on mid to tight shots. For the time being I'm back on Intra working on some new settings with Chris Brandin.

• @strancali, thanks. I've been noticing a lot of great things on here. Cluster v6 is incredibly. I gotta start doing some narratives with this!!!

• Hello everyone,

Just installed Cluster V.6 "Nebular"

I have a very simple question. I downloaded this patch because I would like to shoot using HBR mode (NTSC 29.97) and shoot highly detailed images (ex. wide shots in wooded areas) without having the god awful compression artifacts (micro blocking) destroying the image beyond use. I've installed several hacks and all of them seem to perform the same including this Cluster V.6 Nebular hack. I realize that there is going to be a certain amount of micro blocking in a highly detailed image, but the footage I took is usable. So my question is, are my expectations just too high for a 4:2:0 camera? Or is there a patch out there that handles high detail much better in HBR mode than other hacks? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Ben

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions