Personal View site logo
Driftwood Settings, Series 5: Cluster v6 ULTRA RELIABLE, Mysteron, Crossfire, Quantum 9B, Sedna...
  • 1029 Replies sorted by
  • Did a test video with Cluster V6 12/15 GOP variation and HBR 25fps.

This was also first real practice with Wondlan carbon stabiliser. Looks like environment and movement stretched compression to its limits.

• @oscillian great wedding video and it's good to see another Swede on this forum!

• @janis Now thats a test! Which version of Cluster v6 was it? 12/15 or the 6GOP variation? Thanks for showing me this. We'll be looking into HBR mode much much more in version 7 in a few weeks time.

@moseslee35 That's bloody lovely! Good job. :-)

• @driftwood it was 12/15 downloaded and installed with no changes

• @janis Could you do me a favour - record a similar scene to the one above using 'Nebular' which is defo better at HBR/1080i and then send me a small mts file where any/if any macroblocking happens? We will be improving the 12/15 variation as we go along and I do need to change a few things on that setting for version 7 which I am aware of.

Also @janis can you edit your thread comment with the video in to state its the 12/15 GOP variation. Thanks

• @janis , great video, nice movements. What was the mode manual ? As i don't see any strobe on your HBR/25 video , shutter speed ?
    I like Cluster v6, ultimate one for my need's, thank you @driftwood.

• @driftwood It says on page one "ALL Settings require Panasonic firmware v1.11 & ptools 3.64D '200212' OR 3.65d required". How do I know which settings require ptools 3.64d and which ones 3.65d?. Does that still matter or have they been redone so they work with either version of ptools?

• @mjfeliciano They all work with both. However, the 3.65d improvement was to allow 'straight off button' record in 720p mode with b frames. Version 3.64D required you to first record on another setting before 720p with b frames would work. Hope that answers your question.

3.65D is all you need - don't worry. :-)

• @feha actually for this on it was A priority at 4, 160 ISO and exposure +1/3 @driftwood - ok will do one tomorrow.

• @moseslee35 that looks like 16mm anamorphic, incredible. Which anamorphic are you using by the way? Looks like the Kowa Prominar. It's got a 2.78 aspect, so I'm assuming it's a 2x cropped in at the edges. I fucking love anamorphics :D

• Did some Card Span Tests with Cluster V6 and I thought Someone may find the results useful. I Tested sandisk 16gb 30mb and 45mb cards and a sandisk 128gb 45mb cards with some intresting results.

Both the 30mb and 45mb Cards Recorded fine and Both Spanned fine using HBR Pal but Both Stopped with no Span using 24H now the intresting thing is the 128Gb 45mb card Spanned fine with HBR for 2 hours and Spanned Fine using 24H for 2 hours Also.

I dont understand why the 128Gb 45mb spans with 24H but the 16Gb 45mb does not.

Last Card I tested just for fun and did not think It would work on 24H a Kingstone 16Gb Class 4 ?Mb Recorded fine in HBR and 24H but No Span but I did not expect it to.

All Tests with a Standard 14-42mm lens set at 42mm

• @driftwood Actually, I've been using 3.64d since I hacked my GH2 for the first time, just a few months ago. I started using Andrew Raid settings (EOSHD 88), then moved to Ralph (Sanity), and now, finally, I'm testing one of your settings (Cluster v6). Thanks for your prompt response and clear answer.

• @Craig_R do not use 45MB/s cards. They are not producing stable results with GH2. Instead, use 95MB/s cards, I own two of them (64GB each) and am planning on getting a third one, and all is well here with spanning! http://goo.gl/gbQf4

• Anyone else noticed that the issue with the "line/band" at high ISOs on the lower third (1/50 ss) is much less prominent with CLUSTER V6? Maybe on other patches too?

I am so happy! :)

THANK YOUs!

• @mo7ies Yeah I know the 64Gb 95mb/s cards are best but the cards I have are free from work so I wanted to see if they worked fine. I just don't understand why the 128Gb 45mb/s card is fine for spanning 24H and the 16Gb 45mb/s is not my be the 128Gb 45mb/s cards are faster than the 16Gb 45mb/s cards. Thanks For the Link I might have to put my hand in my pocket and find a good price in the UK

• @kanintesova All Gh2 suffer from this issue as far as I know if you drop the shutter speed 1/40 and lower it vanishes if you raise the shutter speed the band moves up the screen.

• @driftwood

Shot a short segment of a commissioned film with 'Drewnet" before "Nebular" was released. Compared the two, Nebular seems sharper and less noisy. Am I the only one who noticed this? Great work! Can't wait for Cluster v7

• @Craig_R: Thanks, yes I know. ;) I studied it. Don't really like lower than 50 ss but for static scenes it's ok. But I feel it is less noticeable with Cluster v6. I really like this patch. Not too big file sizes. Much less noise than some other patches too. :)

• @Craig_R Spanning 24H and 24L works on SDXC. And don't span on SDHC. 24L too. 16 and 32GB are SDHC. 64 and 128GB - SDXC. Driftwood Orion settings spans on 24L @SDHC with higher bitrate. I think Sedna 24L too.

• @itimjim it's the ISCO 1.75x compact anamorphic. yes, cropped at the edges. but I honestly dont know if I figured out the best way to handle this footage yet.

@Oedipax thanks!

• @mo7ies

Extreme PRO 45mb/s cards have some problem with the GH2, but Extreme non-Pro 45mb/s cards are as good as the 30mb/s version.

• @act Of course its because the 128Gb card is SDXC Thanks Act was scratching my head there.

• @janis and @driftwood

The biggest thing that matters for stabilizer work is the frame rate. Anything at 30p or below is going to stink -- it's got nothing to do with "compression" of any of the settings. What you really want to do is test both settings at 60p.

There's one more strange issue with the GH2 and stabilizers. The last time I had a GH2 on a Steadicam, the traditional 60p at 1/60th created more blur than any other camcorder I've used at the same setting. For whatever reason I had to increase the shutter to at least 1/80th. As usual, anything above 1/100th resulted in that strobe effect.

Finally, the best stabilizer trick is to re-interpret your 60p footage to 24p -- resulting in the slow motion effect. This won't make bad footage look smooth, but it will make smooth footage look great.

Which lens were you using?

• @ Onionbrain Makes me proud to be a local! Very nice job.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions