Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Driftwood Settings, Series 5: Cluster v6 ULTRA RELIABLE, Mysteron, Crossfire, Quantum 9B, Sedna...
  • 1029 Replies sorted by
  • tested Nicks new cluster V6

• @pop24 what did you use for the slomo

• @peternap believe it or not @pop24 used 1080p slowed at 40%!

• @JPB1138 Great grading and feel to it indeed!

• I am still in awe over @pundit with his screen capture. That's crazy quality right there.

• *** NEW *** Cluster v6 6 GOP Variation 'Nebular'.

Again, primed for a target Qp of 16. After another week's research and beta testing by my test team (with special kudos to @evanflys, @luxis, @Zaven13, @konjow, @onionbrain and @conscius please find attached Cluster v6 'Nebular' - the 6 GOP variation of the previously released 'DREWnet' setting at 12/15 GOP.

The two settings share striking similarities in the matrix and the only real difference is Nebular's GOP, the 'GOP Related' weighting of bitrate to i, p and b frames, and bitrate to produce a rate control that increases overall bitrate by around 25%. HBR/1080i certainly looks even better. But let YOU be the judge.

Cluster v6 6 GOP - 24pH.png
    1415 x 869 - 1M
    Cluster v6 6 GOP - 1080i60 streameye depicting a i top field and p bottom field quantisation.png
    1395 x 877 - 853K
    Cluster v6 6 GOP - 720p60 streameye depicting a p slice quantisation.png
    1401 x 691 - 421K
    Cluster_v6_6_GOP 'Nebular' - setf.zip
  • @strancali Thanks. But thank Vitaliy, Nick and all the others for their tireless work in turning this little cam into something that punches way above its weight.

Don't how much of this session will be usable as he was having several quite severe memory lapses and getting badly stuck on words. (like 10 second pauses every 10 seconds!) Though I'll probably recut some of the dialog and use it as a VO for some of his walk about exterior shots.

I'm doing another couple of sessions over the next few weeks. I took a few BHTS production stills. His house is so full of stuff you could hardly move.

Setup was two hours with half of that moving his stuff to make room for the camera, lights and sound. Was coming down with massive head/chest cold towards the end of the day so I'm off for a few days - feel like total crap! 8>P

• @pundit first off, rest up! Secondly, any footage from that shot is ok. Doesn't even have to have sound. I just want to see this combo (v6 & the pentax lens) to see how good it looks. If you're up to it, just do like a 10 seconds clip if not, whenever you get to it :)

• @driftwood Thanks Nick, will try this baby out ;)

• @JPB1138 @pundit @Butt @MartinD @oscillian @xavieramelio Wow! guys, some terrific looking varieties from these Driftwood settings. Thanks so much for posting and sharing. Looking great :-)

• @Driftwood Thanks Nick...and I haven't taken more than a few minute with the last one.

I don't know if it's possible but it would be a big time saver if the testers comments could be posted with a new setting.

@strancali Unbelievable! That looked as good as Twixtor.

• Hey @peternap, I'm Tim AKA @evanflys and I helped Driftwood out the best I could with testing the 12/15 "DREWnet" setting and this "Nebular" setting. My role was mostly in torturing the camera as best I could to ensure no freezes or write errors and giving him as good a quality feedback as I could about what I found.
    The sweet spot for my usage is 720/60P in shutter priority at 1/125 with Panasonic AF OIS lenses. I do a lot of aviation video stuff and that's the setting I use the most. It also just so happens that the GH2 has the toughest time with those parameters. I did run it through as many NTSC and PAL tortures in all modes as I could and Nick has a winner here folks! I'm not a good pixel peeper, and honestly very much still an amateur, so I'll leave that to others but I can say the reliability is dead on and the IQ sure is beautiful to me! I'd share some clips but I have videos in the queue I have to finish.

hope this helps, tim

• I just repeated my blue deep bay water of moving water, jumping kids, flying boats scene wherein the V5.1 version had locked up the camera (and failed to write the video file to boot) with my Sandisk 64 gb super-duper card that handles Sedna flawlessly, with V6 DREWnet and were NO LOCKJAW CAMERA PROBLEMS!!! Just now looking at the footage. By the way though I appreciate different folks have different needs, I most appreciate 1080p tests, can't really judge the detail on 720p. Thanks everyone for the work getting all these patches tested and Driftwood for the patch.

• @hank Cluster? The 6 GOP 'Nebular' version is looking better at HBR25p/30p with the 12/15 GOP variation 'DREWnet' not far behind.

• @evanflys You have no idea how much that helps Tim, Thanks! Don

• @strancali Here you go! Apologies for no audio but the only thing this 10 second clip has been through is a quick conversion to MP4 using Handbrake on my HP Mini Netbook before being uploaded straight to Vimeo with no grading/correction.

Shot using a Pentax FA31 Limited F1.8 @ F3.2

Full details on Vimeo.

I suggest you go to Vimeo and download the 1080p file for the best quality.

• So, how does the new Cluster compare to the new Flowmotion patch?

Did I open a can o' worms? :)

• @pundit thank you so much!!! This is absolutely beautiful. I will have to look into that lens. You sure you didn't use a red epic for this shot?!?. Get some rest :)

• Wanted: Canis Majoris Day AM beta testers please sign up. pm me.

• Awesome looking lens @pundit. Tell us more what you think about the Pentax FA31 LTD F1.8 please. I'm interested. :-)

• @JohnTollwannabe Good question and a loaded one. It's like comparing a pair of beautiful twins. The devil is in the details.

• Cluster V6 test high contrast, moire.

• @luxis Thanks. Im always going for some kind of mood or feeling. First thing I think about.. Who needs story? hahaha. Hopefully within a year I intend to do a short or feature.

@driftwood Thanks! Your settings have made it a lot easier to grade and lift shadows. Sedna really lets me do some cool stuff in post and minimize the macroblocking and noisy shadows.

• Cluster v6 12/15 GOP "DREWnet" settings. 24p Cinema (1080), smooth, {-2,-2,-2,-2}, 24H
    Looking forward to seeing how this 1080p24Hz compares to Cluster v6 6 GOP Variation 'Nebular'. Nebular(?) ...Drew will be crushed! lol
    Video Below: Settings are posted in YouTube descriptor. The video was not enhanced.

Video Below: Settings are posted in YouTube descriptor. The video was enhanced via CS5.5 Premiere Pro: Auto Levels and Sharpness were both added to the video. I was out of focus in original footage.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions